Curiosity, How The Hell Did Moles Get There?

I enjoy reading this forum, I have no aspirations to become a pest controller, (personally I think you all need you heads read.) Joke !

I have had the same job for the last ten years and travelled the same route every week. Around about the same time every year molehills start appearing on the grass verges, although they do seem to be a bit earlier this year. But there is one part of a dual carriageway a grassed central island that has never had a mole hill on until last week, when I seen three on there.

How the hell did that / those mole / that moles get there? To my mind there is only one way, he / they tunnelled there? But it takes some believing that a mole can tunnel under a dual carriageway with the depth of foundation of the road.

Or can they travel overland / road to reach new ground, or dig deep enough to get under the footings of the road?

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 1

If they can travel overland then that would explain it. As I remember this road being built about 30 years ago. and even though it has islands now the footings go the complete width of the two roads. So for it to tunnel there it would have to tunnel up though the footings. is this possible for them?

TC

i had a call few years back a guy had i lake with an island in the middle he said it was full of mole hills, i wanted to go there just to have a look but it was in essex and im in cambs so bit too far, but they are good swimmers as well, most likely the ones your on about went over top

• Like 3

While on holiday in Devon several years ago, my wife and I went to the Dartington Cider Press and saw one wandering around above ground on the grass verge near the car park. In this case it was still on grass and near its original hole but it was out for ages. It ended up with a ring of about three dozen people standing watching it bimble around for at least a quarter of an hour. Wonderful sight.

As said, moles can run at 2.2mph, swim and tunnel.

I was told by an old mole catcher: sometimes you find moles/hills in the middle of a field and no hills anywhere in the rest of field or fields.

Go back to middle ages, the field was probably many little paddocks each belonging to individuals. They may had moles and their runs, over time the paddocks have gone and reverted back to one big field.

There may be an old mole run, which went to some of the old paddocks, deep enough not to be bothered by the plough that goes from the edge to the middle, moles use these runs and come up in the middle.

or of course, they parachuted in under the cover of darkness :victory:

• Like 1