All Rounders

The only yardstick i use to measure if a dog is an allrounder is its ability to take all four legged quarry by any given method... Everything else is just 'fluff'...!

What about hunting, grabbing and retrieving feather?

Retrieving shot feather wether with gun or catapult?

Jumping?

Having a good temperament?

I thought the lurcher was the animal of choice for the poacher?

Not just a means of "taking 4 legged quarry".

:laugh:

Is your keyboard broke weasle? Lol

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think you're absolutely right Gaz, which is a surprise I thought you needed at least 40yrs under your belt to be right about anything on here.   I have a 3/8 5/8 bull grey from point and shoot li

Woah!!..I've lamped a ton, and still do buddy. I was only voicing an opinion, I wonder why my books get mentioned all the time i say something?   Scooby caught everything in the daytime, except red

Just to add another dimension.....I, personally, would only class a dog as an allrounder if it could catch all the quarry I want during the daytime. I have seen plenty of dogs that looked good on the

Posted Images

The only yardstick i use to measure if a dog is an allrounder is its ability to take all four legged quarry by any given method... Everything else is just 'fluff'...!

Jumping?

I think the dog your describing mate is the (old type) poaching dog that would do bit of everything, to put meat on the table, and from what ive read the dog was ne-on farm dog mix not over quick dog.in them days hares, rabbits were caught with (long nets) so didnt need fast type dog like that's been bred today , and going about with 1millon cp lamp today its a different ball game . if you was really into getting big numbers hares rabbits, deer, today serious poachers wouldn't fook about with dogs, they use guns if there selling to dealers. :yes: the old mythical poacher+ dog is what it is just in books , the proper poacher of to day is worlds apart, I knew bloke in the 80s never used a dog, only for the odd bit ferreting + long nets he use whippet x thing, but is main weapons of choice were long nets+guns :yes:

I never mentioned big numbers mate.

Just a dog doing a bit of anything.

Maybe you're right. It's mythical ?

Jumping?

I think the dog your describing mate is the (old type) poaching dog that would do bit of everything, to put meat on the table, and from what ive read the dog was ne-on farm dog mix not over quick dog.in them days hares, rabbits were caught with (long nets) so didnt need fast type dog like that's been bred today , and going about with 1millon cp lamp today its a different ball game . if you was really into getting big numbers hares rabbits, deer, today serious poachers wouldn't fook about with dogs, they use guns if there selling to dealers. :yes: the old mythical poacher+ dog is what it is just in books , the proper poacher of to day is worlds apart, I knew bloke in the 80s never used a dog, only for the odd bit ferreting + long nets he use whippet x thing, but is main weapons of choice were long nets+guns :yes:

I never mentioned big numbers mate.

Just a dog doing a bit of anything.

Maybe you're right. It's mythical

yeh that's it , something just for the pot most dogs would, but if trying to make coin from it regular I dont think dog would be used , there get more from a gun and easier/ cheaper to keep lol

Just get out with your dogs, if they do all that you want,and on occasion,do a little more ,be grateful.

Why the need to label your dog?

I never shoot ,so by all accounts I'll never have an all rounder ,oh well, ill have to dream up a tag for her,

• Like 3

Just get out with your dogs, if they do all that you want,and on occasion,do a little more ,be grateful.

Why the need to label your dog?

I never shoot ,so by all accounts I'll never have an all rounder ,oh well, ill have to dream up a tag for her,

next it will be fishing included lol

• Like 3

On her day off my bullx bitch volunteers as a guide dog and hearing dog ,usually travels the world helping out in disasters ,she gives evidence in all hunting related government think tanks,

and an adviser to the IMF.Does charity work and turned on my local Christmas lights .But I have never had a day out on the grouse moors.......gutted

• Like 1

Get that breath sorted first weasel ,there will be a no win no fee solicitor on your arse before you know it ,my mates dog will sort that as it passed a doctorate in canine odontology while training for Britain's got talent