pointer advice

hob

can anyone give me any advice on training my pointer.I resuced him and he has had some training as a bird dog in the past or so i am told . He seems quiet well trained in basic stuff :sit stay come but i dont know what commands are used for working pointers any guidance would be helpfull as i have access to shooting and would like to take him along.p.s. he points every thing from rabbits to pheasant and even squirell.

can anyone give me any advice on training my pointer.I resuced him and he has had some training as a bird dog in the past or so i am told . He seems quiet well trained in basic stuff :sit stay come but i dont know what commands are used for working pointers any guidance would be helpfull as i have access to shooting and would like to take him along.p.s. he points every thing from rabbits to pheasant and even squirell.

out of all the dogs iv trained / kept the gsp was by far the hardest , it was like you were :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: ..... if you are planning on working him alone there will be no need for training him to "back up" another dog... as long as his obidence is good, and he points game, holds that point and then flushs when you and your gun get up to it then you wont go far wrong,,,, good luck

how old is the dog and is he whistle trained? it seems as if you are already nearly there with him.

HE IS'NT WHISLE TRAINED ALL COMMANDS ARE VERBAL AND HAND IBELIVE HE IS ABOUT 4YRS.

Well if the dog is trained as you said all you need to do now is to go out and try him in the field, try having someone experienced who works dog take him out, and get there opinion on him.

how old is the dog and is he whistle trained? it seems as if you are already nearly there with him.

HE IS'NT WHISLE TRAINED ALL COMMANDS ARE VERBAL AND HAND IBELIVE HE IS ABOUT 4YRS.

Well if the dog is trained as you said all you need to do now is to go out and try him in the field, try having someone experienced who works dog take him out, and get there opinion on him.

will do i was hopping i might gain some more imfo before hand so we didnt end up looking a pair of wasocks! :haha:

Hi Hob,

What kind of pointer-breed is it? plain English pointer or german pointer or any other kind?

Basically, as already mentioned above, if your dog points and holds until the gun is close enough for a clear shot then you can never make a fool out of yourself or your dog.

most commands for pointing dogs apply to searching the field and the commands you use are depending on the kind of hunt and the type of field. german pointers tend to search very wide, but more often than not the hunters want a dog to browse right under the gun. it takes quite some commanding to keep your dog in close range, in fact you may prefer to use a spaniel for that type of work.

Good luck, let us know how it went?

Hi Hob,

What kind of pointer-breed is it? plain English pointer or german pointer or any other kind?

Basically, as already mentioned above, if your dog points and holds until the gun is close enough for a clear shot then you can never make a fool out of yourself or your dog.

most commands for pointing dogs apply to searching the field and the commands you use are depending on the kind of hunt and the type of field. german pointers tend to search very wide, but more often than not the hunters want a dog to browse right under the gun. it takes quite some commanding to keep your dog in close range, in fact you may prefer to use a spaniel for that type of work.

Good luck, let us know how it went?

Idont know if he will hold a point until i reach him with a gun as as yet i hav'nt tried.He is a braque saint germain