Lurchers Hunting For Themselves

Ive had some good maybe better than that,hunting lurchers and the amount of game they find is amazing.

At the moment i dont have one , they will hunt a hot scent but thats it.

When youve had dogs that will go off and find stuff it can be frustrating to take other dogs to the same place knowing whats there if they go and look,only to find them sniffing around 10ft away. :laugh:

A dog that will go and find stuff will make a quite mooch into a hunt, will keep its self and other dogs fit.

Some will do it others wont in my experience.

• Like 2

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A lurcher using his nose and finding game is a must for me my dogs are used for lamping as well and does not hunt up on the lamp at all

I have one or two mutts that will literally hunt a scent during the day for well in excess of a mile and regularly do,yet they need no leash whilst lamping..I guess if they get familiar with both task

I've seen me walk over 18 miles on the ground I walk..never seen a single person and not a road within miles so it's pretty enjoyable in the main apart from the rain which seems to follow me around ha

I would,nt feed a lurcher that did,nt have the ability to hunt up and work out a few of the problems it may encounter,you can only train so much into a dog,the rest as to be natural and instinctive,if its not in the breeding its impossible to train it into the mutt.

• Like 3

I have one or two mutts that will literally hunt a scent during the day for well in excess of a mile and regularly do,yet they need no leash whilst lamping..I guess if they get familiar with both tasks they soon realise which method (nose or eyes) they need to use to stand a chance of a catch? I enjoy watching the dog hunting up..infact at this time in my life I do more of this hunting then anything else..

• Like 5

I get my kicks from dogs that hunt......nothing finer than a flask of tea while sitting down watching my dogs hunting around in the distance.

Sat drinking a cuppa outa your flash, think I'll come work my dogs with you, tbh I don't want my dogs to hunt to far as there are a lot of roads close to where I work my dogs so it could be a disaster if I let them

ALRIGHT MATE .

FORGOT TO ASK IS IT MOSTLY WOODLAND AREAS YOU HUNT BY DAY AND RURAL.?

this is just a place that is very handy for me to exercise the dogs,i dont usually go out for a loose hunt,but ive enjoyed it thoroughly when out there.the 1st flush of success has really given me the bug,lol.i used to do a whole lot of it years ago when rabbiting and bushing with the terriers but that was 2 decades ago.its mostly rushy fields and woodland scrub i walk .
ALRIGHT JIGSAW.

WAS JUST WONDERING BECAUSE WHEN YOU CHANGE THERE TASTE IN CHOCOLATE YOULL FIND THAT WHEREVER YOU ARE PUBLIC OR RURAL YOUR TEAM WILL MAKE A RIGHT FOOL OF YOU.

EXAMPLE .

YOUR OUT MAYBE WITH FAMILY ON A INOCCENT STROLL DOWN THE LOCAL BEACH, COUNTRY PARK ORFOOTBALL FIELDS

AS SOON AS YOU LOOSE YOUR TRUSTED STEADS 1 WILL GET A HOT SENT WEARAS ANOTHER OR ALL WILL COMMENCE IN THE CHASE AND ONE WILL START SINGING TO INFORM THE REST OF THE PACK TO HOME IN ON THE CHASE AND BEFORE YOU KNOW IT THEYVE PULLED RUDOLPH INFRONT OV A PARK RANGER, CLASS OF KIDS ON A FIELD TRIP OR SUM MUPPET WITH A CAMERA OR PHONE.

WELL YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT.

PLODD ALL OVER YOU AND YOUR GAFF.

JST THINGS THATVE HAPPENED TOO ME OVER THE YRS.

AND YOULL NEVER CHANGE THEM BACK.

ONCE THEVE TASTED THE BIG CHOCOLATE .

ATB.

Canon11228_zps939371ef.jpg

I've seen me walk over 18 miles on the ground I walk..never seen a single person and not a road within miles so it's pretty enjoyable in the main apart from the rain which seems to follow me around haha

• Like 4

Its great to watch,you get to read the dog after a while it kind of wierd lol. My old bitch colliegreydeergrey x beddywhippet see left, was a great hunter in her closing years used to stay what distance you wanted her rmoved on hand signals a nice bit of work for the older lurcher thats seen alot and knows the differance when the lamp comes out. I would steer clear of it for dogs not yet but intended to work the lamp as bad traits will alot of the time become wired in.

very interesting and thought provoking replies,thanks folks,im enjoying reading all this,some amazing photos too .I do hope they improve with the flushing and bushing in the future but it'll be mainly running big rabbits when ever i can find them.My son and I have a good walk about and have a bit of craic with the dogs on slips,as for changing their taste in chocolate,so far the dogs adapt to every given situation,they are happy to be on slips and are ok when loose around the woods and rushy fields,and i dont tolerate a dog turning a deaf ear to me,i still test them with stock and so far no problems.

• Like 3