Lurchers Hunting For Themselves

in the last few months ive encouraged my dogs to ''go find'' for themselves,I must admit unless their on a hot scent their fairly shit at it :laugh: I was out this morn and had them running through the woods and big cover in the hope they might get a bit of action.Im stuck between a rock and a hard place as I dont want em going way out too far from me but still dont want em around my heels either,the 5 of them were in cover this morn when a big bloody fallow slipped out and i had to holler on the dogs ,which id like to add were hot on its heels but not hot enough,lol.anyway it ran well and dissapeared into a block of trees,

then the flat footed beast was hard at it around a bit of scrub and he flushed a woodcock(which frightened the life out of me).im just wondering if its possible to get them bushing reasonably ok.I think their getting better at it but not too sure :icon_redface:

any of you guys got the dogs hunting about for themselves.loads i know but id like to hear of their successes.

heres a few photos from this morn

2014_11_15_0118_zpsb1b857d2.jpg

2014_11_15_0126_zps32b4e6ed.jpg

2014_11_15_0122_zps7238d218.jpg

2014_11_15_0127_zps24bb1fb8.jpg

2014_11_15_0128_zps9e0959fb.jpg

2014_11_15_0129_zpse2903806.jpg

the last photo is a path i found in the woods used by the deer,there must be some ammount of traffic to make that well worn path.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A lurcher using his nose and finding game is a must for me my dogs are used for lamping as well and does not hunt up on the lamp at all

I have one or two mutts that will literally hunt a scent during the day for well in excess of a mile and regularly do,yet they need no leash whilst lamping..I guess if they get familiar with both task

I've seen me walk over 18 miles on the ground I walk..never seen a single person and not a road within miles so it's pretty enjoyable in the main apart from the rain which seems to follow me around ha

Lurcher wis for hunting up I find coliex best ihave bitch here at minute 3eight 5eight hunts up fun onl problem whenyou are hunting with bushing dogs and ihaveher onslip oncesheis ofif she missesthe gears she willhunt up and catch outof sight or run to ground she run2in last week which we would not of had if she did not hunt up but round the houses you gottobe carefu sorry on tablet predicive text

my pals bullcross was an outstanding dog to hunt big covers for fox dog caught countless amounts of foxes during the day hunted up and caught on his own,my own bitch is great hunter tried to discourage her from doing it but her will to hunt was to strong so i just leave her do her thing now,once she dont do it on the lamp i dont mind,i enjoy watching her work on a scent now.

Edited by mighty celt

If my pup never hunted up we would have no catches to date..i enjoy gettin to were we mooch and letting her do her on thing...my pup has very good recall thoch and if she dident am sure it could reck our days out.now a kind man is taking me out on rhe lamp.i just hope she can change front when were it un the day to the swap over at night when i don't want to see Eny hunting up.will see.be good to have the best of both worlds .if there's such a thing.

hunted with saluk collie types years ago , when there was more lenacy with the law had some great hunts and catches ,we used to have a colliex terreir he gave mouth on a hot scent ,lurchers new right away game was on, had some great sport and meat ,many a nite came out of the woods with a long pole me and a mate sharing the weight of the beast good crack ,

Jigsaw, most of my daytime hunting is like that. I travel upwind and let my dogs range on a bit ahead of me 'til they get on a warm scent. My collie x bitch is fairly good at following and can canter along at maybe half speed on a hot scent.

The deer x pup you put me onto had her first hare in a forestry block that way. Went out of sight on a scent and came galloping back, carrying a hare and very pleased with herself.

They'll dodder around on cold scent but as soon as they cross a warm one you can see the excitement as their ears prick and their energy level seems to rise. I like to just stand quietly watching. Deer usually just leg it out of the area as fast as possible but hares often return to their starting point so in a mature block I can often sight the hare, note it's route then watch the dogs following the trail. I never try to head the hare or call the dogs to it, it's up to them to sort it out. They don't catch any big bags among the trees but it's fascinating to watch.

On the subject of the deer paths, some places I walk in have so many deer that on the open areas the paths are worn 6 inches deep into the grass. They seem to choose the same routes through open places, as indeed cattle often wear paths in their field.

• Like 1