River On Form

It's been a few years since I fished the river Tone in Tanton, I really fancied a days chub fishing and this is probably the best river close to me to get at them..

So yesterday I dragged my ass out of bed later than I wanted too, and after walking the dogs made the 40minute run up the M5, I had a walk along the river in the town stretch and opted for a pretty swim up with a nice big willow on the far bank, very chubby!!

apost-50738-0-94492000-1414665633_thumb.jpg

The river here is around 5ft deep, I chose to fish the waggler across to the far side and the stick down the inside,

I fed only hemp and caster on the stick line ( hoping to drop onto some decent roach) and fed maggots on the cub line on the far side.

Starting on the wag I had a chub about a pound on the 2nd run through then it went quiet after 40 mins or so I dropped onto the stick, which id been steadily trickling the bait in, straight away I had a nice roach, then a small chub. I only fed caster and hemp down this line and it kept producing, inc some nice brown trout.

post-50738-0-13461200-1414667189_thumb.jpg

All the while I was putting a pouch of maggots across to the far side, then I noticed a swirl when the pouch went in. Time to shallow up and go for it.. Fishing between 2ft and 8" deep it was at times quite frantic.. Pouch full in, cast over the top.. And at times the rod was almost pulled out of your hand.. Best chub was around 3 1/2 lb.. They averaged around a pound with 5 or 6 fish over 2lb,

At times it would get difficult to hit a bite, I'd rest the swim for 10 mins and pick a few fish out of the stick line.. Then when you went back over they would hit it well again..

It was a cracking day on the river, finished with around 30lb of fish around 20 chub, half a dozen roach and a few dace plus a little Rudd... Oh and a few trout..

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 15

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's been a few years since I fished the river Tone in Tanton, I really fancied a days chub fishing and this is probably the best river close to me to get at them.. So yesterday I dragged my ass out

Posted Images

Great fishing on running water thats a nice bit of water there. Remember seeing a four double figure carp (three commons and a mirror) under the town bridge a few years ago. Also have you tried for the grayling down beyond the back of B&Q, they produce some cracking sport when the temperatures drop.

• Like 1

Great fishing on running water thats a nice bit of water there. Remember seeing a four double figure carp (three commons and a mirror) under the town bridge a few years ago. Also have you tried for the grayling down beyond the back of B&Q, they produce some cracking sport when the temperatures drop.

I've only fished that fast bit by BQ once, had a few nice chub, it's pretty weedy until the cold ether comes in though I think..

I had a great day on the ham stretch for roach many years ago, around 20lb of quality fish.

It's a lovely little river, I'm gonna do a bit more on it this winter.