Breeding

Hard to know with that cross. I have never seen any Irish Harrier/Welsh Hound crosses but from what I'm told with harrier/foxhound crosses its a case of luck of the draw and if your lucky enough to get a good cross first time, you will breed nothing down from that. The only cross I have seen hunt on a regular basis was a Irish Harrier/English Harrier crossed bitch we had in the pack for a few years. She was a good hound but what we bred of her was absolute dirt

hang on wes im not going say what cross is the best, but that irish harrier/welsh cross has been tried many years both sides of the water, by many huntsmen some loving them alot,some hating them for their drive and independence,there is no control over this cross,that's out the window,that hound will do, what it's whats to do, and stuff the huntsman,the mfh packs can't put up with this cross because of this reason ,oliver offered you one from the litter he bred, i had one ,dan had one, and oliver keep four back, its a pity you didn't have one mate,all the litter entered well, he and many boy's over there had tried the english cross and never had the whole litter enter,yes some of the hounds entered but not all of them as you know,the limerick harriers had two welsh bitches of me ten years ago,the right huntsman at the time,they are over the moon with the cross,as always mate it's also down to the country that you are hunting over,nothing wrong with this cross,so long i you don't mind a few late nights lol atb old dog

Fair enough, but I am not Wes, I have never seen a Welsh hound hunt let a lone a cross bred of one. I was just talking about harrier crosses in general. Our own pack would not be into crossing the harrier with anything else so my knowledge is not that great on the subject only the one exception. What we bred of the English Harrier bitch all entered but they were very soft and it would not have to be too hard a day for them to throw in the towel. Sounds like the Welsh hounds have a bit of toughness to them.

Very sorry footman my fault,i thought you was wesley,the harrier cross is in most kennels now both side of the water,with great success,whether they be english,welsh or fell cross,hope you have a good season atb old dog

my 2 p worth....ive only ever hunted fell hounds..untill this year i was givent the privilege of owning 2 pure harriers from the very man...now their a DIFFRENT kettal of fish all together the fell hounds even english fox hounds are steady predictable and handle-able the welsh even more so in my eyes their nice and steady and have a wonderfull deep slow voice...but these harriers are like coiled springs! their fast.."bouncy" almost and their voice is excitable and its honestly a refreshing change thou took a lot of getting used to. they (from what i know of mine..i must stress this as they are the only ones ive ever worked) thier independent but very affectionate as are all hounds.

for my eyes the harrier has 2 massive bounuses over others...1 is their size.they dont take much more space or feeding than a big terrier..and 2 that fast jumpy voice they have

i would like to see how a welsh cross goes as i would quite like ot keep all the pluses of a harrier but maybe just add the brakes a little.......

• Like 1