Breeding

you will find no better tongue than that of a harrier great music they make and there noses are hard to beat i had very good bitch hound of welsh harrier breeding but was very head strong but she could find foxes any where in a pack or on her own only down side was she would hunt a hare but only if there was no fox in cover

also have a welsh harrier dog here at the minute but the jury is still out on him at the minute

robert

you will find no better tongue than that of a harrier great music they make and there noses are hard to beat i had very good bitch hound of welsh harrier breeding but was very head strong but she could find foxes any where in a pack or on her own only down side was she would hunt a hare but only if there was no fox in cover

also have a welsh harrier dog here at the minute but the jury is still out on him at the minute

robert

Thank you robert, thats the sort of answers im looking for. Cwn-hela

Your harriers look irish bred harriers and they are a completely different breed to any foxhound,sometimes the cross doesn't always work, a welsh cross could work but any lads that cross them in Ireland usually use an old English doghound and if it clicks you can get super hounds to hunt and mark, personally I would keep harrier to harrier and foxhound to foxhound but to each their own. Best of luck on whatever ever you do.

Your harriers look irish bred harriers and they are a completely different breed to any foxhound,sometimes the cross doesn't always work, a welsh cross could work but any lads that cross them in Ireland usually use an old English doghound and if it clicks you can get super hounds to hunt and mark, personally I would keep harrier to harrier and foxhound to foxhound but to each their own. Best of luck on whatever ever you do.

The dame and sire are from ireland. I had an accidental litter of pups an decided to rear them up. I drafted 4 pups out at 12months old and kept 2 back. The drive in them is unreal. Sadly lost a black and tan dog on a road at 14months old, pup i drafted out. Im getting pup from a fox hound x welsh sire and a welsh x harrier dame, and this breed from ireland and its a long line. Im going to really think in to it, as i cant get no joy drafting hounds in. Cwn-hela

Hard to know with that cross. I have never seen any Irish Harrier/Welsh Hound crosses but from what I'm told with harrier/foxhound crosses its a case of luck of the draw and if your lucky enough to get a good cross first time, you will breed nothing down from that. The only cross I have seen hunt on a regular basis was a Irish Harrier/English Harrier crossed bitch we had in the pack for a few years. She was a good hound but what we bred of her was absolute dirt.

Hard to know with that cross. I have never seen any Irish Harrier/Welsh Hound crosses but from what I'm told with harrier/foxhound crosses its a case of luck of the draw and if your lucky enough to get a good cross first time, you will breed nothing down from that. The only cross I have seen hunt on a regular basis was a Irish Harrier/English Harrier crossed bitch we had in the pack for a few years. She was a good hound but what we bred of her was absolute dirt

hang on wes im not going say what cross is the best, but that irish harrier/welsh cross has been tried many years both sides of the water, by many huntsmen some loving them alot,some hating them for their drive and independence,there is no control over this cross,that's out the window,that hound will do, what it's whats to do, and stuff the huntsman,the mfh packs can't put up with this cross because of this reason ,oliver offered you one from the litter he bred, i had one ,dan had one, and oliver keep four back, its a pity you didn't have one mate,all the litter entered well, he and many boy's over there had tried the english cross and never had the whole litter enter,yes some of the hounds entered but not all of them as you know,the limerick harriers had two welsh bitches of me ten years ago,the right huntsman at the time,they are over the moon with the cross,as always mate it's also down to the country that you are hunting over,nothing wrong with this cross,so long i you don't mind a few late nights lol atb old dog

• Like 2

Hard to know with that cross. I have never seen any Irish Harrier/Welsh Hound crosses but from what I'm told with harrier/foxhound crosses its a case of luck of the draw and if your lucky enough to get a good cross first time, you will breed nothing down from that. The only cross I have seen hunt on a regular basis was a Irish Harrier/English Harrier crossed bitch we had in the pack for a few years. She was a good hound but what we bred of her was absolute dirt

hang on wes im not going say what cross is the best, but that irish harrier/welsh cross has been tried many years both sides of the water, by many huntsmen some loving them alot,some hating them for their drive and independence,there is no control over this cross,that's out the window,that hound will do, what it's whats to do, and stuff the huntsman,the mfh packs can't put up with this cross because of this reason ,oliver offered you one from the litter he bred, i had one ,dan had one, and oliver keep four back, its a pity you didn't have one mate,all the litter entered well, he and many boy's over there had tried the english cross and never had the whole litter enter,yes some of the hounds entered but not all of them as you know,the limerick harriers had two welsh bitches of me ten years ago,the right huntsman at the time,they are over the moon with the cross,as always mate it's also down to the country that you are hunting over,nothing wrong with this cross,so long i you don't mind a few late nights lol atb old dog

Fair enough, but I am not Wes, I have never seen a Welsh hound hunt let a lone a cross bred of one. I was just talking about harrier crosses in general. Our own pack would not be into crossing the harrier with anything else so my knowledge is not that great on the subject only the one exception. What we bred of the English Harrier bitch all entered but they were very soft and it would not have to be too hard a day for them to throw in the towel. Sounds like the Welsh hounds have a bit of toughness to them.