The Charter Trip For Dy's Auction

After months of trying to sort the date we finally got out yesterday. Cushtymush had bid £80.00 and won a day out on a local charter boat ( rose-ann out of Exmouth), now the pressure was on to produce a fish.!!

It was an early start (5-30 from mine), Pete was early texting me at 5 to say he was outside, as usual before fishing/ hunting ( anything but work really) I hadn't slept and was exited to get going, Pete had brought his lad for the experience, the kit was already loaded and we were off.

At the harbour the Chinese were already up and fishing for anything they can catch to be put in the menu, one came over and it turned out they we're down from London for the weekend filling cool boxes with fish to take back, there won't be f**k all left the way these boys are going, there even raiding the pots for the peeler crabs, soft and hard backs are taken along with anything else.

Anyway, we were on the boat and away by 6-30, it was a bit lumpy but not too bad, but it was going to be a fair steam out about 30 miles to get on the wrecks, unfortunately the inshore wrecks are being heavily fished by the commercial boys for bass and you just can't get a drift on them.

Well the day started hard, for the first 3 hours we travelled between the wrecks that litter the sea bed in the English Channel but the fish weren't interested, they were showing on the sounder but as is often the way they ignored everything put at them.

With only a few small pollack and pout in the box it was looking dire, peter had never been out chartering before and I was getting a bit gutted we couldn't get him into a fish or 2.

But... Cometh the hour Cometh the man... We had just moved ,again , to another wreck and on our 2nd drift Pete hit something better.. Your in 200ft of water so the fights not exactly electric but on the light gear you could see it was better, after 5 mins of dragging the silver sides of a nice bass broke surface and I was happier than Pete lol.. It was his first bass and it triggered the boat into action.. In the next couple of hours everyone steadily caught a few fish, ther was done decent pollack, another bass, a nice ling, wrasse and loads of bloody pouting!!

Young peter had slept most of the day, it was an eay start for these boys and the swell in the morning, had made the young lad feel a bit rough.. But he was right as rain after his kip and came out and dragged up a big pout on my rod which he looked pleased with.. He was a real good lad all day with no moaning etc, credit to you Peter.

We'd managed to fill a couple of boxes now, and on the last drift Pete said he was going for it 2 live eels went on and after a couple of turns off bottom, the rod was near pulled out of his hands.. It was a real decent fish... It took line then bang it was gone.. It had snapped the 15lb trace, I'd scaled down from 30lb ( which helps stop spin) as we were struggling earlier for bites.. Sod's law!!

Well we've a new boat angler amongst us, peters looking at future trips be I think he's hooked.. It was a good day all round, fishing wasn't great but the banter was as good as ever, and peter had his first bass for tea...

Plus I've shown him a couple of spots to catch his favourite fish to eat.... Eels.. The rivers full of them, he should get amongst a few if he goes to the spots I've shown him..post-50738-0-82273700-1412011070_thumb.jpgpost-50738-0-89033700-1412011080_thumb.jpg

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 5