Reverse Crosses

i dont think you can beat a good dose of collie, my dogs are all roughly half collie and the rest greyhound nowadays but at one time we would cross pure collies onto fast lurchers. this would produce some of the best knockabout, try anything rough hunting dogs i've ever seen. never seen a reverse 3/4 run, but i wonder in what way would this breeding be an improvement on a genuine first cross?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ive owned and worked a reverse threequarter collie greyhound bitch, sadly she is no longer here, she was a fantastic dog both in the day and on the lamp, exceptionally quick and agile for her breeding

Gwen.. like chid says 5/8 ..plenty quick enough for the bunnies

forgot to add the picture

Posted Images

Interesting topic ... Just a question many may not be bothered but are any taking big bags on lamp regular 40+

If so any sign that they start to pick runs ?

Not stickly speaking a true reverse 3/4 ,,,but Fuji's dog don,,will take them numbers regular,,,

today776.jpg

today062.jpg

Edited by TOMO
  • Like 4

My second lurcher was a 3/4 beardie/border 1/4 greyhound from David Hancock's third litter of Richard x Linnet. He had an amazingly thick coat and skin and a lovely easy-going character. The chap who owned him before me said he used to live retrieve peacocks from his neighbours' garden! Although I liked him a lot he wouldn't be any good to me now as his coat, while excellent for the Cumbrian winters when I owned him, would be too much for the sub-tropical south coast where I now live.

Some of those heavy jackets don't do too badly in the tropics Neal :thumbs:

post-32-0-92982200-1411374134.jpg

post-32-0-75165100-1411374666.jpg

With dogs like that,,you either keep them or you do the necessary ,,,,,if you keep them you just got to accept there issues ,,,whilst mine did it from time to time,,,,and it fecked me off,,,,she did however amass a good head of rabbits in her life,,,so I just took the ruff with the smooth

• Like 2

Ive owned and worked a reverse threequarter collie greyhound bitch, sadly she is no longer here, she was a fantastic dog both in the day and on the lamp, exceptionally quick and agile for her breeding and she was good on the long ears before the dreadfull ban came in, these days i own and work her daughter which is 9/16,s collie, 7/16,s greyhound, she is a handy little bitch, a fantastic hunter, and a brilliant ferreting bitch, which i,ve worked all over the country, i also have a dog out of her, which is very heavily collie saturated, he is out of my bitch to Ian Torchie Claytons, excellent reverse threequarter Dan, he to is called Dan, he is just 2 years old,and he is turning into a very good dog, i took him upto The Isle Of Canna, earlier on this year, has i was a member of the team which carried out the big rabbit job, he did very well and it really brought him on, my own preference is for a dog of this breeding has if schooled and entered properly these dogs excel at daytime mooching, ferreting, and lamping, and mine also takes feather. regards collie john.

seen a picture of your dan dog in the sporting gun and it looks a fine cur , my type of mutt :thumbs:

Ive owned and worked a reverse threequarter collie greyhound bitch, sadly she is no longer here, she was a fantastic dog both in the day and on the lamp, exceptionally quick and agile for her breeding and she was good on the long ears before the dreadfull ban came in, these days i own and work her daughter which is 9/16,s collie, 7/16,s greyhound, she is a handy little bitch, a fantastic hunter, and a brilliant ferreting bitch, which i,ve worked all over the country, i also have a dog out of her, which is very heavily collie saturated, he is out of my bitch to Ian Torchie Claytons, excellent reverse threequarter Dan, he to is called Dan, he is just 2 years old,and he is turning into a very good dog, i took him upto The Isle Of Canna, earlier on this year, has i was a member of the team which carried out the big rabbit job, he did very well and it really brought him on, my own preference is for a dog of this breeding has if schooled and entered properly these dogs excel at daytime mooching, ferreting, and lamping, and mine also takes feather. regards collie john.

seen a picture of your dan dog in the sporting gun and it looks a fine cur , my type of mutt :thumbs:

Cheers pal. regards collie john.

• 2 months later...

p douglas had a dog maggie he done fine with his on the rough grass land and was ahandy wee bitch ,but for me lacked gears that a good lurcher needs on long slips when the qaurry is heading for cover, she started picking her runs to , but a good animal ,in her prime , but any more than a third to qaurter collie i always thought plenty enough to catch game ,ive always thought pace was a nessecity at times ,as well ,you can be cute clever but when its one on one on arable land they need to be made to make a mistake , were we hunt all winter sown 50 to 100 acre feilds wouldnt be much use ,but on the moors hills they would get there chance , but no better than a pacy animal with a running brain,i suppose its how you go about the game and what you hunt ,and the land you have availible to you ,i like them but not got a job for them as they would be no better than what we have about already , i hope there always about that type

• Like 1