A Few Hours On The Stubble

chrismdd

Having spent Friday night fishing for roach until the early hours I needed to get out with the lad and so decided on a few hours having a go at pigeons on the stubble. We only had four hours maximum so after a quick Sunday lunch we put the gear in the Landy and set off to find a stubble field with pigeons. First stop and a small field of around six acres and a dozen or more pigeons took off. Decided to give it a go and as there were no pylons or wires in this field we set-up on the far hedge with the wind in our backs for shelter. Used a smaller fishing brolly today and covered with two camo nets.

1409143_zps9b55690e.jpg

Starting to suss this now and had the full net over the front and the gun well back on sticks so that it could be moved around inside and then slowly poked forward when a pigeon came in.

1409141_zps4749f928.jpg

Tried a bit of target practise on the wooden stake I always take along now so that I can check my zero during the session and test for any windage.

The lad was on lookout on the left as well as tacking other 'angry birds'

1409142_zpsf154d091.jpg

At first pigeons came in steadily and several were added to the bag. Then as the afternoon progressed those that were coming in were often flaring away at the last moment. The pattern and dead birds were checked but all I could put it down to was that as the sun was setting in front of us our faces were becoming more visible. So next time scrim nets may be worn or additional vegetation put over the front.

Finished the day with a total of ten pigeons (seven in the photo and three more in the hide).

1409144_zps9e54ed96.jpg

Chris
  • Like 3