Whippets & small lurchers

Guest bigfella

My 4 are under 23" and I have never seen anything bigger work, so I don't really have anything to compare them with, but of the two that work, one (22"whippet, beardie, grey cross)has no problem on muntjac, and the other is very keen on foxes (but I keep her away from them, as I don't reckon that she is as strong as she thinks she is- 19" beddie whippet) both are fast agile and efficient on rabbits.

put same pic up 19" beddie whippet

some pics of my new pup he is whippetxcollie x whippetxbeddy he is doing well he is 4mths in the pics so i will put more up in a few weeks time :good:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i225/spa.../Picture006.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i225/spa.../Picture005.jpg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 4 are under 23" and I have never seen anything bigger work, so I don't really have anything to compare them with, but of the two that work, one (22"whippet, beardie, grey cross)has no problem on muntjac, and the other is very keen on foxes (but I keep her away from them, as I don't reckon that she is as strong as she thinks she is- 19" beddie whippet) both are fast agile and efficient on rabbits.

put same pic up 19" beddie whippet

some pics of my new pup he is whippetxcollie x whippetxbeddy he is doing well he is 4mths in the pics so i will put more up in a few weeks time :good:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i225/spa.../Picture006.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i225/spa.../Picture005.jpg

looks nice my mate used to have a dog like that

i can see your point larger dogs are nice to see running on rabbits, but i dont know with all dogs but my mates seems to miss the rabbit on the pick up and gets outturned by it, but my small 19" whippet (only just started lamping her) but she seems to make a easy job of lamped rabbits (now shes picking up :icon_redface: )but shed be made to look stupid by a larger dog on fox im sure. cant wait to get her ferreting :yes:

I own a 22 inch (ish) lurcher X lurcher, he is over half whippet in his make up, a good friend of mine has been breeding this line of lurcher for over 15 years. this little dog is well capable of killing fox, he is four years old now, in his first season, while he was learning, he didn't make as clean of a job as he does now of taking fox, but the heart and determination in this dog was unbeleivable! Now he is alot more experienced he can knock one in a matter of seconds ;) He is one few dogs that i have seen catch more bolted rabbits than he misses, he just always seems to be in the right place at the right time! And although he is by no means a hare dog, he has caught his fair share (and retreived them all to hand!!), I do not run alot of deer, so the dog doesn't see that many but he has been involved in catching one. I am more into my terriers now than lurchers, that is why I only have the one now, but i really enjoy taking this dog out with the terriers, he is a vital part of my pack, always in the right place and knowing that he will kill anything that pops up is always an added bonus ;) Like I have said the heart and determination in this little dog is unbeleivable, He is in my opinion the best Lurcher I have ever owned and it would be hard to find another to replace it when his time comes!!!!

All the best

Danny

I own a 22 inch (ish) lurcher X lurcher, he is over half whippet in his make up, a good friend of mine has been breeding this line of lurcher for over 15 years. this little dog is well capable of killing fox, he is four years old now, in his first season, while he was learning, he didn't make as clean of a job as he does now of taking fox, but the heart and determination in this dog was unbeleivable! Now he is alot more experienced he can knock one in a matter of seconds ;) He is one few dogs that i have seen catch more bolted rabbits than he misses, he just always seems to be in the right place at the right time! And although he is by no means a hare dog, he has caught his fair share (and retreived them all to hand!!), I do not run alot of deer, so the dog doesn't see that many but he has been involved in catching one. I am more into my terriers now than lurchers, that is why I only have the one now, but i really enjoy taking this dog out with the terriers, he is a vital part of my pack, always in the right place and knowing that he will kill anything that pops up is always an added bonus ;) Like I have said the heart and determination in this little dog is unbeleivable, He is in my opinion the best Lurcher I have ever owned and it would be hard to find another to replace it when his time comes!!!!

All the best

Danny

put a pic up of it :good::good:

Guest jeff.s

HERES MY BED WHIPPET, ONLY 18IN HIGH BUT WITH A HEART OF A PITBULL, I HAVE MORE FUN WITH THIS LITTLE DOG THAN WITH MY 3 BIG ONES,

LastScan.jpg

that is a nice beddy is she a half x

YES SHE 1/2 AND 1/2, SHES CURRLY COATED BUT I,VE SHAVED HER FOR THE SUMMER,

Picture148.jpg

HERES MY BED WHIPPET, ONLY 18IN HIGH BUT WITH A HEART OF A PITBULL, I HAVE MORE FUN WITH THIS LITTLE DOG THAN WITH MY 3 BIG ONES,

LastScan.jpg

that is a nice beddy is she a half x

YES SHE 1/2 AND 1/2, SHES CURRLY COATED BUT I,VE SHAVED HER FOR THE SUMMER,

Picture148.jpg

that what my mate did with the two beddy x geryhounds

All the best

Danny

put a pic up of it :good::good:

I'll see what I can do, it is difficult for me to put pics up as I only really have access to my works PC :no::no:

• 2 weeks later...

i do like smaller dogs i have two myself one is 22" and 19"20"ish they seem briliant on the rabbits i cant see why i would need anything bigger speshaly for ferreting, but i am thinking of maby crossing the lighter coloured one with a saluki or saluki/grey for the larger game.

DSCF0188.jpg

larger one

DSCF0193.jpg

smaller one

• 1 year later...

I have always prefured the smaller lurcher there more nippier n flexible round the area i come from we have alot of small feilds out this way which favoures the smaller lurcher plus i no a few lads with the bigger powerfull stuff and for the ground there running over there not being used to there full potentiol i had a lurcher he was a suluki/greyhound x whippet and he stood 21" tts and my mate had a firt cross apbt x greyhound he stood 27" he was a big powerfull dog we went out foxing 1 night and my lurcher was the only 1 to catch that night getting 3 out of 4 slips my mates dog just couldent turn or strike as quick as my dog dont get me wrong when he did hit 1 there was nothing left most where killed on impact from that beast. the smaller lurchers the best in my opinion

lurcherman :good:

i do like smaller dogs i have two myself one is 22" and 19"20"ish they seem briliant on the rabbits i cant see why i would need anything bigger speshaly for ferreting, but i am thinking of maby crossing the lighter coloured one with a saluki or saluki/grey for the larger game.

<!--ImageUrlBegin--><!--ImageUrlEBegin-->DSCF0188.jpg<!--ImageUrlEnd--><!--ImageUrlEEnd-->

larger one

<!--ImageUrlBegin--><!--ImageUrlEBegin-->DSCF0193.jpg<!--ImageUrlEnd--><!--ImageUrlEEnd-->

smaller one

Blando my 2 little rabbiting dogs are out of a whippet dog and a salukigrey bitch, they make decent rabbiting dogs and do the odd hare on the lamp. Thats about it with them tho mate. Iv had a couple of fox with one bitch but iv had to help her kill them. If the dogs got it in them they will do roe and muntys aswell. They make good little dogs mate :thumbs: I would have the cross again but i would only buy one for rabbits if it takes anything else its a bonus but i wouldn't buy or breed one and expect it to be good on any more than rabbit and hare. Ones shit hot on lamped hares and the other hasn't got the staying power, i find they lack on a straight line they are fast off the mark but when a hare straight lines them they soon pull away from the dog. They make good little rabbiting dogs tho and if brought on right will pretty much have a crack at oat. I recon if one was put back to a saluki grey or a 3/4 grey 1/4 whippet you would have a handy tool for rabbit hare roe and muntys, and if the dogs got it init it will tackle the odd fox i wouldn't expect one to take much stick tho. Mine will grab a fox but soon lets go if she gets bitten.

Witton

One more thing they run all night if given alternate slips :thumbs: When fully fit my bitch misty never seems to give up she might show signs of being tired but given 10mins to rest and she is bang on again.

mistyfoxy.jpg

this was taken as the season was just starting :thumbs:

Witton