Whippets & small lurchers

Guest grubygrafter
I was talking to one of my mates who has a greyhound bitch in pup to a coursing whippet and we were wondering if the smaller rabbiting lurchers ' whippets' and whippet crosses will become more popular and if people will turn to the smaller rabbiting dogs more to stay the right side of the shit law :angry: .

Nobby.

the original post :good:

in my opinion yes they will. i already have :good: and know a few that are gonnado the same at a later date

although there will be the diehards that stick with the bigger stronger dogs. a lot of folk will take into account the law when they buy there dog. or replace an old dog.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have heard of a few whippet x's that will do the bizz on fox's

and im not talkin my dog up up or saying she could go single handed on one but she realy does get stuk in!

and shes only 19 inch and 3 1/4 whippett 1/4 beddy

am sure dogginlad will back me up,

or skit me one or the other lol!

regards

dan

:good:

I was talking to one of my mates who has a greyhound bitch in pup to a coursing whippet and we were wondering if the smaller rabbiting lurchers ' whippets' and whippet crosses will become more popular and if people will turn to the smaller rabbiting dogs more to stay the right side of the shit law :angry: .

Nobby.

Imo over the last 20 years the whippet has become more popular as more people can have a whippet as a pet/working/racing/lure coursing/or showing dog as regards the law if you have permission or not to hunt your dogs size won't come in to it i think its all down to personal choice

391508.JPG

319944.JPG

Guest bigfella

have you lads heared yourselfs squabblin over who is hardest cos they have a bigger dog!!!! who has the best catcher!!! real dog lads fight the *** not eachother! :angry: get a grip and leave diff breeds out of it horses for courses.. :good: p.s not trying to offend just putting a point across.... :whistle:

Guest mush

the debate was about '' if the smaller rabbiting lurchers ' whippets' and whippet crosses will become more popular and if people will turn to the smaller rabbiting dogs '' I think no because bigger dogs can do it better

JMO :)

shut it you tit. Fed up off hearing bull x this and bullx that why can't a smaller dog i.e beddyx do it in the field just because they mainly used for rabbiting does'nt mean they can't have a go at fox. terriers were bred into lurchers because of their grit and determination. most terriers face off against fox week in weekout. i don't know alot but i know enough to know you shouldn't underestimate other dogs. :realmad:

Do you know what JMO means? but then as you say '' you don't know a lot'' do you.

If i was just going to stick to rabbits i would still have a medium size lurcher.

Guest buster
The post immediatly above yours mate.

Cheers.

This is a beddy/whippet/greyhound it takes hare,rabbit and been on deer this is a pic of a bloke i know...the beddy on the left hand side has just bolted a fox and the beddyx on the right has just killed it.

Sorry about the pic it just proves to the beddy lovers out there that they do take fox and other things not just good for ferreting, and that comes off someone with a bullx greyhound i would go for a beddy x cause they are good dogs in the right hands.

Thanks for now :tongue2::tongue2::good::good:

The post immediatly above yours mate.

Cheers.

This is a beddy/whippet/greyhound it takes hare,rabbit and been on deer this is a pic of a bloke i know...the beddy on the left hand side has just bolted a fox and the beddyx on the right has just killed it.

Sorry about the pic it just proves to the beddy lovers out there that they do take fox and other things not just good for ferreting, and that comes off someone with a bullx greyhound i would go for a beddy x cause they are good dogs in the right hands.

Thanks for now :tongue2::tongue2::good::good:

img038small6ss.jpg

This is the pic :good::good::good:

it depends what you call small i have found that an animal about 24" is capable of most things while still being agile.

at present i have a 23" beddy/whippet x greyhound that runs from poodles but is fanatical about cats and a beddy/whippet x bull/greyhound youngster that i think may be a bit to hard but is it the bull or the beddy thats to blame?

when i was but a boy i had a 24" bedlington whippet x collie greyhound it was too evil when it was younger as it would lay into other dogs, foxes were mullered, it settled down in the end to make a good worker. in comparism a "friend" has a pure bull that was thrashed by a collie from down the road. the point being it's not just the breed but the breeding that counts there are good bedlintons and bulls but there are also a lot of crap about!

Guest buster
have you got a beddy x because i yink there are one of the best cross :good:

No i have got a bullx dog he is a very good ferreting dog like a beddy/whippet but i would go for beddy/whippet/greyhound cause i have seen them dogs work and they are impressive in the right hands same as i say....But it would have to be a bitch because of my bullx and another thing i would put my bullx over it, not at the minute cause he hasnt proved his self enough to me yet hes only a young dog,hes doing very well he will be better after the next season for the things that i have planned for him :whistle: :good:

i don`t want to start a debate but i like the way bigger dogs run rabbit it seem to be more exiting cos nothing can be taken for granted so i eill always go for a bigger dog and if you were to fancy a deer youv`e got the right dog. this is just an opinion but some people will always have big dogs they aint as good on rabbit but more exiting :good:

My 4 are under 23" and I have never seen anything bigger work, so I don't really have anything to compare them with, but of the two that work, one (22"whippet, beardie, grey cross)has no problem on muntjac, and the other is very keen on foxes (but I keep her away from them, as I don't reckon that she is as strong as she thinks she is- 19" beddie whippet) both are fast agile and efficient on rabbits.

My 4 are under 23" and I have never seen anything bigger work, so I don't really have anything to compare them with, but of the two that work, one (22"whippet, beardie, grey cross)has no problem on muntjac, and the other is very keen on foxes (but I keep her away from them, as I don't reckon that she is as strong as she thinks she is- 19" beddie whippet) both are fast agile and efficient on rabbits.

put same pic up 19" beddie whippet