Early Start To Season

Headed out this morning at the back of 7, new permission i was at today is just up the road so didnt need to travel far, got speaking to the farmer for a few mins, got permission to take the old disco into fields were needed, reason i got the old work horse, going to be handy in the winter.

At this time of year i was expecting some cover and wasnt suprised! Hopefully a hard frost isnt to far away, would really make a difference. I spent a few minutes going around land, seeing whats what then got to work ( or tryed lol )

First set was a nightmare, lots of cover, nettles,thorns etc.. Spent a while there with no rabbits home, second,third and fourth set were all similar, alittle reminder why i got a dug.. I cant wait till shes ready to work, marking active sets should save a good amount of time.

Ferreting solo, netting empty sets and the cover was adding time. It was soon afternoon and still no rabbits..

Netted up the fifth set and after a few mins i spotted a rabbit bolted from a hole i missed, fecking cover!!! I was gutted, albino jill wasnt far behind.

Was a similar story for the sixth set, another rabbit lost because of cover, i was starting to think its going to be one of those days..

I packed up and moved over to otherside of the road and netted up the seventh set, once again no rabbits home..

Eighth set was soon netted and albino jill entered once again, the road was busy, as traffic died i was chuffed to hear that familiar thumping sound underground, wasnt long after first rabbit of the day hit the purse net and rabbit one was in the bag.

Hole was renetted and it was time for the albino to go to work.. Few minutes later thump thump thump, number two in the bag.

Set was was empty after that, set nine and ten had one rabbit each. Things were starting to look alittle better.

I went on to net a few more sets with no luck, after that it was time to call it a day. Four in the bag and two away for another day! No great numbers, was good to get back out ferreting again, even if it was early in season. This permission has alot of rabbits about, looking foward to the cover dying off.

Ill add a few random pictures, only had phone handy when near disco

IMG_3194_zps5d13a5a0.jpg

IMG_3195_zps243bbf4e.jpg

[IMG_3196_zpsa7325812.jpg

IMG_3197_zpsecfc84f1.jpg

spot the dears ears ?

IMG_3198_zps8133c45e.jpg

IMG_3204_zpsf2a0de3e.jpg

2 deer in midle, camera is crap

IMG_3205_zps177fbf88.jpg

IMG_3206_zps6b60948e.jpg

IMG_3207_zpsa93c8dde.jpg

IMG_3208_zpsb72b9328.jpg

IMG_3209_zpsc1eed51c.jpg

alittle mixy starting?

IMG_3210_zpsf35e8ba8.jpg

Edited by Joe1888
  • Like 1

rabbits werent in good nick to be honest. one had early signs of mixy, ones liver had white patches and another had two balls next to stomach, was thinking might be tape worm related?

Edited by Joe1888