What Cartridge?

As you may already know from my other post i am relatively new to shotgun hunting so this may be a noob question but i was wondering what is the best cartridge for what quarry, what would you use for rabbit, pigeon or foxes?

I presume there would be different shot for each i,e a heavier shot the bigger the target, but are there any different loads worth trying out or is it pretty much set in stone what is used for what?

I'm using a 12 gauge over under

I personally use eley maximum 34g no.5 for everything except goose and fox. I use eley alphamax 42g no.3 for goose and fox. Some may find a 34g load heavy for general use if I have no maximums I like to use eley grand prix 30-32g no.5-6 shot.

I really don't rate lyevale ammo but many like it. Another great brand is gamebore I find them to be a little pricey though

I use 32gr felt in No5 in my (old) fixed choke game guns (Lylevale branded to my local clay ground).

For pigeon decoying I might go down to 7's.

Fox AAA or BB sometimes SG (I load my own for these).

These days I buy a 1,000 at a time, but it takes me ages to burn that many off but I know what I want, as a beginner I expect you will

buy 2 to 4 boxes at a time, that's fine try the lot see what YOU think.

Some game loads have plastic wads, so best to check if you are allowed to use them where you shoot. Imo 28 - 32 g makes little difference unless shooting at the edge of your range or you're are on goose or fox. Some would argue that if you shoot goose well in front, then you don't need heavy loads for them and charlie tends to get whatever is in the gun at the time, unless specifically after him only.

It's a balance not only between size but number of hits especially with larger prey such as a fox as a single large shot doesn't transmit enough shock to kill.

For pigeons and rabbits there's no need to deviate from 32g No:6. It's a pretty universal and hard hitting cartridge, and a proven load.

For Fox, No: 3 - AA would be the sensible range. Sweet spot probably No: 1's or BB.

Also, with fox, restrict your range to close range only as shotgun pellets don't retain energy over distance.

That way you only ever need to carry 2 types of cartridge. Enough No: 6 for the numbers of pigeon / rabbit you may encounter and a 1/2 dozen fox cartridge in another pocket.

Brand wise, Gamebore Clear Pigeon and Hull Special Pigeon are good options for pigeon / rabbit as they are very fast cartridges.

If your gun is proofed for magnum cartridges, then for fox try Gamebore Mammoth or Hull Solway Magnum.

For non magnum, I think Gamebore Buffalo and Hull Ultramax HP are non magnum but you'd have to check that with the manufacturer.

Edited by Alsone

Good info alsone, ive always used 6 1/2 for pidgeon and the odd 7 if I can't but never specially bought cartridges for fox and as long as you keep yourself within a reasonable distance you'll take the fox easy...I've had a hand full of them within a year on 6 1/2's all under the 50 ft mark.

personally I always use gamebore clear pigeon 32gram number 6 shot , knocks down most things , wouldn't usually use the for foxes , but one came trotting towards me last evening and kept coming , held my nerve and shot it in the head stone dead at just under 40 yrds , definitely keep a couple of bigger rounds on you for such an instance , but in this case it happened in seconds.

• 3 weeks later...

I personally use eley maximum 34g no.5 for everything except goose and fox. I use eley alphamax 42g no.3 for goose and fox. Some may find a 34g load heavy for general use if I have no maximums I like to use eley grand prix 30-32g no.5-6 shot.

I really don't rate lyevale ammo but many like it. Another great brand is gamebore I find them to be a little pricey though

I recently ordered a slab of eley maximum 34 grm 5's, only to be told a week later that they've been discontinued, my favourites were the maximums. Still got some of the old black ones in 4's. Had to change my order to Grand Prix HV 32 grm 5's. For hares and foxes I use anything from my old stash of heavy lead loads, alphamax, old eley magnums, clever mirage magnums. I prefer RC 50's though. Got some in 3's and bb's.

• 3 weeks later...