Need Help Picking A Shotgun Please

All the above is absolute nonsense as not one of us can see how you are built or knows of your eye dominance so the answer is go to a gun shop pick out the guns in your price range and see which fits because it matters not how much the gun costs but a poorly fitted gun will never be right.

• Like 3

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A cheap reliable gun for £200 should be enough to put him off shooting for sure ! lol.   After many years I`ve found cheap and cheerful to be utter rubbish. A half decent gun now will transform how

Couldn't help myself i just brought the browning ultra xs prestige with ported barrels   Thank you all so much for the help it is appreciated, and now i have a very good base to work from

Length of pull is a primary measurement of gun fit. At 6'4" I'm guessing that you need a longer stock. In lengthening the stock you will alter the secondary measurements of drop at heel (unless its a

All the above is absolute nonsense as not one of us can see how you are built or knows of your eye dominance so the answer is go to a gun shop pick out the guns in your price range and see which fits because it matters not how much the gun costs but a poorly fitted gun will never be right.

the successful choice of shotgun is in the main dependent upon two key factors. Firstly balance/feel. This in the main dictates how the gun handles. How the gun "needs" to handle is dependent upon what its going to be used for. Secondly, the fit of the gun. Because with a shotgun, the shooter is a part of the sighting system (with the eye being the rear sight)good fit is paramount. A novice has very little idea of what good fit is and how a gun should handle. the majority of gun shops don't understand proper gun fit properly either, with the length of stock compared to length of forearm being the usual quoted panacea for good gun fit!.

With a budget of £1200, a used, well balanced, good handling shotgun is within budget, including fitting. to make that choice easier, try/use as many different guns as you can and get impartial advice from somebody with a lot of experience.

• Like 1

Thank fu*k somebody has said that, you can buy a Purdey if it does not fit you will not shoot well with it, but buy a £50 Baikal that does fit and you will outshoot the Purdey,the above advice is sound, go and try several guns, get some good advice from a proper gunsmith not just a salesman who cares only about his sales targets, not your gunfit, and if you find a bargain that you really like, but it does not fit, have the damn thing fitted to you, it is not expensive, and can often be negotiated into the deal, DO NOT BE AFRAID TO HAGGLE.

I also said early in the thread that "Whatever you get needs to fit you and feel right. Are you right handed and right eyed? ........." However unless the OP is very unusual, most of the suggestions here still hold good imo, regardless of the fact that we dont know what will actually fit him.

Gun fitting is of course important, but to be fair most people will fit a gun with a standard cast and drop as long as the stock is the right length and they don't have the opposite master eye to their preferred shooting shoulder.

I am sure some will disagree with me, but in my time I have visited proper gun fitters and all they have come up with for me is ensure correct length as I am 6'4".

I also said early in the thread that "Whatever you get needs to fit you and feel right. Are you right handed and right eyed? ........." However unless the OP is very unusual, most of the suggestions here still hold good imo, regardless of the fact that we dont know what will actually fit him.

Gun fitting is of course important, but to be fair most people will fit a gun with a standard cast and drop as long as the stock is the right length and they don't have the opposite master eye to their preferred shooting shoulder.

I am sure some will disagree with me, but in my time I have visited proper gun fitters and all they have come up with for me is ensure correct length as I am 6'4".

Length of pull is a primary measurement of gun fit. At 6'4" I'm guessing that you need a longer stock. In lengthening the stock you will alter the secondary measurements of drop at heel (unless its a parallel comb) and cast at toe and heel also. It is these dimensions that affect where the gun shoots, yet often overlooked by "proper"stock fitters.

The flip side of this is that most people can adapt to a fair degree to a less than perfect stock fit and shoot well with that gun. However, they will not reach the true potential of their ability or the gun. It's what keeps gun shops in business. Been there a bought that T shirt!

• Like 3

Length of pull is a primary measurement of gun fit. At 6'4" I'm guessing that you need a longer stock. In lengthening the stock you will alter the secondary measurements of drop at heel (unless its a parallel comb) and cast at toe and heel also. It is these dimensions that affect where the gun shoots, yet often overlooked by "proper"stock fitters.

The flip side of this is that most people can adapt to a fair degree to a less than perfect stock fit and shoot well with that gun. However, they will not reach the true potential of their ability or the gun. It's what keeps gun shops in business. Been there a bought that T shirt!

Exactly I am only 6'2" but have a reach of 6'8" and a long neck all my guns have had to be altered to fit me correctly even my rifles which have a LOP of 16 1/2" sure I could adapt to fit a standard gun but why compromise.

There aren't' many bad guns most go bang reliably and you will find people who will recommend any or all but fit is what counts.

• Like 1

I am sure you are absolutely right, but I went to some professional gun fitters, eg at Holland and Holland, and they didn't get a try gun out, or even another gun than my own. Maybe I should have missed the clays they put up. :laugh:

Ruster did say he is "relatively new to shotgun hunting" (shotgun hunting?), so we don't have a reference point as to how much he has already found about about his own fitting requirements and level of ability. It is difficult to comment properly other than recommend that any gun he buys fits, or is adjusted until it does, but it is still vald to suggest makes and models.

Edited by Lid

Thankyou all for the advise and info, i went to my LGS a couple of days ago and picked up a few guns but the sales guy was just that and wasn't exactly super helpful, maybe because i am waiting on my licence and couldn't buy one yet but still i have had better service at McDonald's

I have been told by a few people that ladds of crediton are very helpful but i can only get there on Friday after work since it is their only late opening night and they don't open weekends so i will rush round there after work this Friday and see whats what.

I keep flip flopping on the o/u or semi dilemma i like the idea of the semi (light weight extra follow up shot) but seems other than my own hunting grounds they are frowned upon, plus am i being a noob worrying about jamming and cleaning/maintenance of a semi? Surely it cant be that difficult or time consuming else they would never sell any

It is entirely down to you what route you take but you have been given advice on getting the gun/guns fitted and need to think what will you be doing with them, if clay shooting ,range days at clubs or syndicate shooting or any form of club work o/u is what you should be looking at

If you intend to go waterfowling or do lots of decoying (pidgeon or crow) then a semi will be fine but i dont think it would be that much difference if its a 3 shot semi as reloading after firing 3 off can take longer than reloading any o/u , most of the time i would stay from firing off the third just to stop the bolt from locking back as loading was quicker, something you wouldnt have to worry about too much if you had an fac semi auto.

If you want to do this don't be put off by many others telling you its not what they would do...just make sure you get the right tool for the job and for yourself!

I have been thinking about this some more, and apart from making sure the gun you get fits, my advice to anyone new to shotguns is always to to get OU as your first gun, unless you have medical need for a semi. You can always get one later if feel you want one. Also don't spend too much as you may give up, or you may find some other reason to have to change it. I have owned quite a few shotguns and the one I liked the best was a lovely Beretta 687 with great wood, but it had to go to pay my mortgage in 1990!

I am afraid I have been out of the game for a while, so I am not sure what the current prices are, but back in the day I would have suggested a Beretta 686 as the best price range gun to start from, unless budget is limited.

Why am I saying ignore semi - well for all the reasons already stated, plus most autos have limited adjustability for fit.

Oh and I hope you already know this, but don't buy a trap gun by mistake unless you want to learn to have to shoot underneath everything!

Beretta OU all day!

With no trade in and £1,000+ in your wallet you are in a great position to get a decent Silver Pigeon.

If your tempted by 'others' (Browning Miroku etc) just make sure you get a sporter, not a trap gun.

Get one that fits.

I bought a brand new Winchester select sporting and it gets used for everything. Fantastic, lovely gun that draws positive comments everytime folk see it.

Multi choke that does clays as well as doos and pheasants

Cost me £800 new. Why on earth would I buy secondhand for that cash.