Scope Not Accurate

Hi cc

I can't say as I leave it in hands of experts, the camo tape was on the stock and over the years it's got wedged between the barrel and the stock.

He suggested me taking it away and try without mod but I only work in the summer and this week is really busy so I've left it with them.

My cleaning regime mm well that's not the best, I shoot 4 days a week in winter and average 10 shots a week with the rifle and if it doesn't get wet it's once a fortnight if it's lucky, the mod is taken off at that point re greased and put back on. Yes hands up I don't take it off as much as I should and I guess this is my slap in the face.

This gun shop is not the place I bought the scope from that came from sportsman online, so I guess it doesn't matter to him.

Will update as I learn more from them

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sounds like the mounts are playing up, my first rifle was a howa and as part of the deal the mounts were included,so i put on my zeiss 7x50 it shot ok for a while but then the zero ws all over the pl

But that wont tell you if the scopes fuc*ed see if, after you have wasted time and perhaps money on having it cleaned, if he will lend you a scope to try, if your rifle groups fine with a new scope, y

Update: Gunshop phoned today there were a few issues, Mounts, he said they were ok but not the best and not seated very well, so he has swapped them over. The tape had got pushed under the barre

Well if tape is stopping the barrel float that would do it but, it would take quite a build up of tape to stop the barrel floating(this assumes of course that your model of rifle DOES have a free floating barrel and is not pressure bed) when I asked about your cleaning regime, I was trying to find out if you cleaned it before every session, as this can affect zero to a good extent on some rifles, I suggest you stick to your current regime, it sounds about right, I would like to think your gunsmith has checked the crown? But it does not take much damage on the crown to turn the rifle into a shotgun,and leaving a moderator on after shooting is the best way to destroy your crown, if so you will require a barrel chop, rethread and re-crown, I know I keep harping on about it, but you REALLY need to try another scope, you may find your rifle groups perfectly with a cheapo Nikko Sterling or something on board, an hours work, swapping scopes and re zeroing could save you a hell of a lot of messing about, and perhaps more importantly, restore confidence in your rifle, I am afraid I dont have a great deal of confidence in some gunshop owners(obviously I dont know yours) I remember a gunshop owner moaning to me that no matter what he did to his .22-250 it would not hold zero, he had tried different scopes, bullets, moderators, all to no avail, I screwed the moderator off and hey presto, the crown was shagged, good luck with yours pal, keep us posted.

Update:

Gunshop phoned today there were a few issues,

Mounts, he said they were ok but not the best and not seated very well, so he has swapped them over.

The tape had got pushed under the barrel and he has cut it back.

There was also a bit of twig stuck between the barrel and stock as well.

Mod cleaned no damage and also I asked about the crown and no damage.

I'm going to collect and re zero tomorrow fingers crossed it's ok if not scope going back

• Like 1

Good luck mate, a twig or tape could do it, good news on mod and crown(take it off every time you shoot from now on) also crappy mounts wont help, I hope its sorted for you pal, but dont send your scope back until you try another on the rifle to see if it shoots straight with another on board, keep us posted :thumbs:

Well zeroed it in on wed and put a few shots inside 3 inch circle today went out again and fine tuned it, and it seemed to hold it's zero. On the way back down the drive I saw a fox with a rabbit in its mouth so I grabbed the gun, put the mod back on as I had taken it off leaned on fence post and I'm back on the books.

So I've hopefully got it sorted but I've today submitted a variation with a mates advice for a 6.5 x 55 so in a month I will be on the market if anyone knows where there is one for sale. I maybe selling my Brno .222 to make room.

Just goes to show your never too old to learn.

:thumbs: Hope thats it sorted for you mate, not a big fan of 6.5x55 myself, I see it as just too close to a .243 that can fire heavier bullets, the .25-06 would have been my choice, but what I would say is get re-loading for your 6.5 as I think the factory ammunition is pretty pedestrian, in the same way that it is for the .22 hornet, the factory stuff is loaded at low pressure to accomodate 100 year old guns, my mate Seeker has a 6.5 and it is a very accurate rifle with handloads indeed.

Hi Phil , you wont be disappointed with the 6.5 x55 , I've been using one for the last year & it does the job spot on , accurate , hard hitting with minimal damage .CC is spot on about the ammo , home loads are the way forward ... :thumbs:

I've heard a lot about home loads, but I have to be honest I've never tried it, I'm not stuck in my ways and always open to try (within reason) is it something I can pick up a book and learn or is it something I need to watch and learn.

I could have gone down the homeloading route Phil but with no real interest in it I chose the other road ....I got my pal to do the loading for me . He is really into it , he already loads 6.5 for a couple of other stalkers , has a few different loads for different jobs & is proper into the science of it . With me its a case of getting a round that does what I want it to do ..he enjoys loading , I enjoy firing ...every ones a winner ..if you want ammo or advise i'll put you in touch , he's local as well .. :thumbs:

Reloading is not the black art some think it is, get a good reloading manual, watch some online videos, and get somebody to show you the ropes if you want, it does not cost a fortune to set up and the ammo you can produce is way better than factory mass produced stuff, still think you should go for a .25-06 though :yes:

Thanks cc

I spoke to many people but some of my land has open areas of 200 yds - 300 yds of open space and taking deer at 175 yds plus was always a gamble a nd although it paid off was hard work, I'm told the 6.5 will have that bit more of a kick at outer ranges.

Today I bought a sako 6.5

• 3 months later...

Well I have an interesting update on this, after the gun went in and came out with a small error I set it up again and left it 24 hrs later I went back to a field and at 100 yds I had a 2 ft sq target and the first shot didn't even hit the target. At 50 yds it was firing high so I broght it down by over a foot. The second shot was a bit low so raised it slightly expecting it to be about right I went back to 100 yds and it hit high and right. Where did the right error come from?

I left it a further 24 hrs and went straight for the 100yds and the first shot was high, the second shot was high right the third shot was high on target. So I'm thinking this is scope so I sent it back to swarovski, their customer service was very good and kept me updated with how it was going. The email report came back that the scope is fine.

So as I had bought a sako when the scope came back I put the scope on the sako, at 50 yds it was high right second shot was in the circle third shot smack on, 24 hrs later I drew a circle the size of an egg and put 2 shots in it. So it looks like the issue was the gun after all.

For sale second hand medallion .243 slight issue with accuracy but cheap.

Variation form downloaded.