Whippet X Or Small Lurcher

Gaffer I mean be wary of both ,as SOMETIMES folk breed whatever they have,rather than picking the best they can.

If both parents are young ...well need I elaborate?

Just my experiences while looking for a pup.

Not finger pointing

Gaffer I mean be wary of both ,as SOMETIMES folk breed whatever they have,rather than picking the best they can.

If both parents are young ...well need I elaborate?

Just my experiences while looking for a pup.

Not finger pointing

right i get ya now lol

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great advice lads thanks. I'm only after one ATM purely as my warden em I mean wife will be easier to deal with. I've had ex racing greyhounds before just as pets and thoroughly love the breed but the

To be fair, on the house dog front. I've got a lurcher, whippet and terrier in the house these days, and most of my friends have a variety of lurcher, and other working dogs, living in and they do all

the young lads do it all the time round hear i got asked 3 times last week if they could use one of my dogs as stud i refused the simple fact i don't want my dogs breeding to the shit they have it wil

Posted Images

nice whippet x grey would be spot on, not to big, good in house I think you said you wanted it in house, and get +catch rabbits easy .And be a lot cheaper than ped whippet to buy. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Most running dogs will make first rate house dogs,they are laid back and gentle with kids (once out of the small puppy stage),I think you won't go wrong with any if that's your 1st consideration.

Speaking only from limited experience here but I have had both a pup and adult dog - get a pup.

Yes it's a bit more work, well a lot more work for a few months but you will be repaid tenfold. My pup is 10 months, got her at 5 weeks old and the bond I have with her over my older bitch who I got as a young adult is worlds apart. Don't get me wrong I like the older bitch but the bond just isn't the same. And it is starting to show in the field.

Think long and hard about size also. Don't get something 19"-20" if you think you MIGHT want something bigger in a few months or years. I have got a few mates who have done this and now wish they had just got the bigger dog in the first place.

Equally though plenty of lads keep small lurchers and are very happy with them.

My pup is just over 24" and is a dream in the house. You don't know she's there. She curls up anywhere and doesn't make a peep. Fantastic house dog and great with all kids and people. I honestly don't think breed will matter too much from this point of view. Most lurchers tend to be great in the house if raised in the house from what I've seen.

My missus forgets she's grown from when we got her :laugh:

24DE9CF0-E5ED-4FD3-8A9A-5DD64A003E72_zps

All the best with whatever you decide.

Either ,but,my preference would be a lurcher,of medium size,that the parents do the work you want the pup to do ,see as many litters as possible,ask many questions ,be a pain in the arse ,if they don't want to answer,walk away.

I'd be wary when they own both parents and they are both young.

Oh and do a search on here as it's been asked loads of times and the usual answer is collie x greyhound x whippet or something similar,

But get something that you like,beware of puppy pedlars

why wary if they own both or is it be wary if they are both young dogs ??

I can see what he is saying, it can work two ways, first, they have worked out what they want in the future, got a dog and bitch in, tested and tested them to satisfaction and then bred what they want.

But also when someone has both sire and damn and they aren't that old etc, you get the impression they may just be breeding a litter because they can, and doing it the way thats least hassle rather than the way that will produce top dogs.

How many folk are lucky enough to have a great bitch and a great dog . . . . . at the same time?

Some are, and some are just chancers.

P.S - This isn't a dig at you mate, I know you have spent a lot of time thinking about your litter. I remember when you first got the bitch ages ago, and had half an idea of doing the breeding then.

i got her on the intension to breed down the line mate not early doors i don't believe in doing it that way and took me a while to find the right bitch and i managed to find one that i was very happy with how she works and goes about doing her job i own both parents of my pups this is why i asked

That's what I meant mate, you put time and effort in, to get a pup that suited you, it wasn't a spur of the moment thing, just because you had a dog and bitch. Some lads just breed litters to get a holiday out of it lol.

To be fair, on the house dog front. I've got a lurcher, whippet and terrier in the house these days, and most of my friends have a variety of lurcher, and other working dogs, living in and they do all make tidy house dogs as a rule. But the whippet just seems ideally suited to it, not too big, no coat to shed lol, quiet, sleeps all of the fecking time, and is a massive hit with the mrs, my mum and even my gran when she visits, as he is the most affectionate, cwtch loving dog i've ever owned.

• Like 2

Either ,but,my preference would be a lurcher,of medium size,that the parents do the work you want the pup to do ,see as many litters as possible,ask many questions ,be a pain in the arse ,if they don't want to answer,walk away.

I'd be wary when they own both parents and they are both young.

Oh and do a search on here as it's been asked loads of times and the usual answer is collie x greyhound x whippet or something similar,

But get something that you like,beware of puppy pedlars

why wary if they own both or is it be wary if they are both young dogs ??

I can see what he is saying, it can work two ways, first, they have worked out what they want in the future, got a dog and bitch in, tested and tested them to satisfaction and then bred what they want.

But also when someone has both sire and damn and they aren't that old etc, you get the impression they may just be breeding a litter because they can, and doing it the way thats least hassle rather than the way that will produce top dogs.

How many folk are lucky enough to have a great bitch and a great dog . . . . . at the same time?

Some are, and some are just chancers.

P.S - This isn't a dig at you mate, I know you have spent a lot of time thinking about your litter. I remember when you first got the bitch ages ago, and had half an idea of doing the breeding then.

i got her on the intension to breed down the line mate not early doors i don't believe in doing it that way and took me a while to find the right bitch and i managed to find one that i was very happy with how she works and goes about doing her job i own both parents of my pups this is why i asked

That's what I meant mate, you put time and effort in, to get a pup that suited you, it wasn't a spur of the moment thing, just because you had a dog and bitch. Some lads just breed litters to get a holiday out of it lol.

the young lads do it all the time round hear i got asked 3 times last week if they could use one of my dogs as stud i refused the simple fact i don't want my dogs breeding to the shit they have it will be me what gets the bad name
  • Like 2