When Should The Terrier Travel ?

best off they dont, wastes time!

I dont know about that imo its good to see a youngster search places as its all part of learning ....and can you really trust an inexperienced Terrier unless its search every inch ?
a bitch we used to have would be pulling at the lead from ten yards away or hardly even sniff it, depending on her opinion. She was never proved wrong.
So you did run a dog through after the 100% marking bitch had said no?

Yes many times in company because of doubters .she may have gone wrong who will know? Have a third read of my post and understand that i said "She was never PROVED wrong...

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Iv seen good marking packs take over 10 minutes to mark spots in the past, not a squeek, just active sterns, then like a flick of a switch they start to mark, so why folk seam to expect a terrier to m

At last a bit common sense that sounds like it comes from experience. Of all the breeds of hunting type dogs hounds probably have the best nose. So why then can a fox leave a covert 5 seconds in fro

For my part if the dogs bred right it will mark right.If a young dog says no ,unless we are on pest control,I never question it have never needed to.The dog is born with the desire to work and the onl

Posted Images

Iv seen good marking packs take over 10 minutes to mark spots in the past, not a squeek, just active sterns, then like a flick of a switch they start to mark, so why folk seam to expect a terrier to mark every fox with a quick sniff of a hole is a bit beyond me..

Do hounds ever false mark?

best off they dont, wastes time!

I dont know about that imo its good to see a youngster search places as its all part of learning ....and can you really trust an inexperienced Terrier unless its search every inch ?
a bitch we used to have would be pulling at the lead from ten yards away or hardly even sniff it, depending on her opinion. She was never proved wrong.
So you did run a dog through after the 100% marking bitch had said no?

Yes many times in company because of doubters .she may have gone wrong who will know? Have a third read of my post and understand that i said "She was never PROVED wrong...
Don't need to re read anything thanks.

Iv seen good marking packs take over 10 minutes to mark spots in the past, not a squeek, just active sterns, then like a flick of a switch they start to mark, so why folk seam to expect a terrier to mark every fox with a quick sniff of a hole is a bit beyond me..

Yes

Seen terrier, travel at 4,5 month, cos it's in some of them, if you had done a fair bit of hunting, you wouldn't be messing round wwith holes tthis time of year. End of dig, jog on,

. Pab no offence but. Are you a scouse german. Jog on lol

Yes

Well they marked this day and my bitch said no. I admit i felt foolish until they had just about tried every terrier in that county that would go in..For once I prayed nothing would be at home and there was not according to them. Once again they all came up with same opinion. Its just the little bitch came up with it a lot quicker. I didnt and dont expect a terrier to make a decision with one quick sniff, but that was what she did and as you know with a dog like that there is nothing to be done once they walk away. I never said she was 100% or a great dog. I didnt breed her and I couldnt train her to be diffrent if I wanted. I dont want to get into point scoring but i asked you to re read my post because you appeared to have read and interpreted it not in the way it was meant. Like i said she was never PROVED wrong and i can only say that on days when other terriers WERE tried after the bitch said No,not because I didnt trust her like you implied but because of others like yourserlf who found it beyond them until there own terriers also failed to find.

Yes

Well they marked this day and my bitch said no. I admit i felt foolish until they had just about tried every terrier in that county that would go in..For once I prayed nothing would be at home and there was not according to them. Once again they all came up with same opinion. Its just the little bitch came up with it a lot quicker. I didnt and dont expect a terrier to make a decision with one quick sniff, but that was what she did and as you know with a dog like that there is nothing to be done once they walk away. I never said she was 100% or a great dog. I didnt breed her and I couldnt train her to be diffrent if I wanted. I dont want to get into point scoring but i asked you to re read my post because you appeared to have read and interpreted it not in the way it was meant. Like i said she was never PROVED wrong and i can only say that on days when other terriers WERE tried after the bitch said No,not because I didnt trust her like you implied but because of others like yourserlf who found it beyond them until there own terriers also failed to find.
how many hounds marked that earth

I've seen a full pack of hounds walk over a single entranced earth without scarcely a second sniff and yet a little terrier bitch marked it strongly on the lead.....I've also seen a great many packs of hounds false mark...I'd trust a good, loyal terrier over a hound any day of the week... :victory:

• Like 4

I've seen a full pack of hounds walk over a single entranced earth without scarcely a second sniff and yet a little terrier bitch marked it strongly on the lead.....I've also seen a great many packs of hounds false mark...I'd trust a good, loyal terrier over a hound any day of the week... :victory:

. You must huntwith someshite hounds JD
  • Like 2

This is my first terrier and I've been going out with harriers for the last 2 years hunting and digging foxes, so I got myself a terrier, I'm not interested in digging foxes this time of the year, I only want my dog to start travelling some disused earths just to get him used to going to ground for the coming season, as I said its my first terrier, if getting him to travel empty earths is a good way to get him used to going to ground and travelling is there anyway I could do to get him to travel ? Thanks

This is my first terrier and I've been going out with harriers for the last 2 years hunting and digging foxes, so I got myself a terrier, I'm not interested in digging foxes this time of the year, I only want my dog to start travelling some disused earths just to get him used to going to ground for the coming season, as I said its my first terrier, if getting him to travel empty earths is a good way to get him used to going to ground and travelling is there anyway I could do to get him to travel ? Thanks

Get out with an experienced terrierman before you ruin the dog.

• Like 1