What Qualities Make Up A Good Stud Dog?

Bull Mcabe if nobody used bitchy looking dogs nobody would have uaed ken goulds sparticas,put back to his own family he threw bigger more powerfull animals than himself. As for listening to harcomb.....he went out to john park dog to outcross FAR sooner than he ever needed to,i wouldnt hold his views in high regard myself,30 odd yrs in the game and the man still hasnt his "own" line of dogs......there are dogmen and dog keepers. In my opinion folk should test the metal of their bitches regular not just now and then as harcombe states,your bitch is your main stay of any line.r

Alcapone,great points.I think good families of dogs produce more consistent than one offs.Meaning,no matter how powerful looking,hard working the stud may be,he isn't necessarily a better producer than a less impressive looking stud,who is out of a good family.

You always hear worker to worker,which I understand,but at the same time,breeding /bloodlines/pedigree are important,IF they are correct.I've heard many dogmen ,some famous,state"the dog can't read his papers",but some blood compliments each other.Often when it is similar.

I know some won't agree,and that's ok,it's not worth arguing about to me,but just my opinion.

I think a stud that has a good overall work ethic,and is from dogs like that.It would be nice if he were also an impressive looking dog,but that doesn't really matter to me.I have seen some weedy looking dogs that were great working dogs out of similar weedy looking workers.

Not my ideal of what I would prefer,but if they are truly good consistent dogs,well.

And often,good producers do produce better than themselves,which is a plus.

I think Spartacus was a great example.I was actually disappointed when I finally saw his photo.I know looks do not matter.But such a highly regarded stud,of good fame,I just expected to look more impressive.But he made up for it in spades.uru

Guest alcapone

Uru your right about certain lines complimenting each other,I'm going to use bulldogs as an example so not to cause friction with terrier lads,but likes of Jeep/redboy Jeep/rascal woods/kemesy eli/chinaman they are proven lines that clicked and turned out good animals that worked and went on to produce. True,dogs don't know their pedigree but when the scales are tipped and not in their favour i'd be more inclined to have my money on the dog with the better pedigree! This is NOT always the case as CH Stormed proved when he stopped CH Physco,but stormer produced nothing and physco went on to leave a line of dogs,stormer being a crossbred was never going to produce anything was he,but a great dog in his own right!

Guest alcapone

Bull macabre,just reread your post.......I find it odd harcombe made such a statement when his Jack dog was such a small dog in the flesh,only a bitchy looking dog himself yet he was the greatest dog he ever owned. Maybe he should have studied his own yard before offering advice to all and sundry in a book,another that doesn't practice what he preached,the terrier game is full of them!

Uru your right about certain lines complimenting each other,I'm going to use bulldogs as an example so not to cause friction with terrier lads,but likes of Jeep/redboy Jeep/rascal woods/kemesy eli/chinaman they are proven lines that clicked and turned out good animals that worked and went on to produce. True,dogs don't know their pedigree but when the scales are tipped and not in their favour i'd be more inclined to have my money on the dog with the better pedigree! This is NOT always the case as CH Stormed proved when he stopped CH Physco,but stormer produced nothing and physco went on to leave a line of dogs,stormer being a crossbred was never going to produce anything was he,but a great dog in his own right!

Alcapone

I agree with you.I made that comment a few yrs back about blood complimenting each other ,and caught a lot of flack for it.But I know that it does,and proper breeding goes a long way.uru

Alcapone twice in my post i mentioned that those were my opinions and examples of what has given me my best results over the last number of years i also stated that different lads would completly disagree with me. I only used Dave Harcombes quote as a fine example of what i have found has worked for me the work i do. Theres obviously no hard and fast rules in breeding terriers as one mans medicine is anothers poison. Ive never seen harcombes dogs so i cant comment only seen pictures in a book and in my opinion jack wasnt a big dog but he certainly wasnt bitchy looking. You also cannot see what way a dog carries himself and conducts himself from a picture so i dont know how you reckon the dog was bitchy. The dogs in my yard are all bred from a family of dogs which are bred in the south of Ireland from dogs and bitches that ive seen work week in week out for alot of years theres been good dogs that i havnt used on bitches as ive seen things in others that i prefered and there may not have been anything between them workwise i used the dogs that i reckoned would compiment my bitches and would add something extra to a litter that another dog might not. This was no quick decision and came came from carefull examination of the dogs and bitches through seasons of hard graft. The bitches getting it no means easier than the dogs so i agree with you talking about testing bitches thankyou for your advice. When i mentioned that there were weedy looking bitchy specimens of dogs in the scene today iam talking about dogs that are down right bitchy looking i know sparticus wasnt a big bully specimen of a dog but ud see alot more bitchier looking dogs than him that i for one couldnt see improving pups a whole lot. When i was talking about a dog being bitchy it wasnt only about size it was to to do with the way the dog carried himself the manner of the dog the weight and depth of the dog and his constitution. Of course theres more to picking a stud dog than this but i was only answering a question as to one of the qualities i look for in a stud dog. Again jmo.

• Like 1

Fair comments uru, a good, strong dog stands out, especially if it's a chip of the old block, but some get carried away with this and are going for these specimens, my friend has gave me a dog, which the father, iam told has serious breeding, to look at, isn't thatmmuch, but pup, decent size, and would go directly to the, breay, and a Goulds dog. Only am told. It's all about the breeding, we can only go forward, and It showing great promise.if doesnt work out,then thats end of it

Guest alcapone

Bull macabe im not looking an arguement though my statement may seem that way. Harcombes jack was a small dog,i never said it was from the picture he was bitchy looking,ken gould himself said he was a small dog with no head to him,more like a bitch,that came from his own mouth. Fair play bull mcabe,your opinion is just that,we all have our own thoughts and out look on dog breeding. There are no hard and fast rules,some lines work well being close bred some dont as ive seen in the bull dogs especially,ive seen them bred too close and majority have become cold,but it dosnt happen to them sll. Some men like to use bull in their dogs others dont......or should i say dont admit to it! Bull macabe good luck with what your doing with your dogs,wasnt a personal dig at you just voicing my opinions.

The best dog you can find that ticks all your boxes is a starting point and hit and miss in a line from there the best workers do not always make the more consistent producers of working pups its all an experiment till you get what you want i think and to much is always put on dogs and less thought on the bitch

• Like 1