Where To Buy A Pup From

The problem is, really, just WHO can you trust to give a pup to?

There's that many lads that are simply not to be trusted; selling, breeding, lying, scheming...and all for money. That's why some like to keep things real tight....

• Like 10

There's that many lads that are simply not to be trusted; selling, breeding, lying, scheming...and all for money. That's why some like to keep things real tight....

I gave a terrier pup to a friend........

Years ago, told me he would rear it, and work it.

Gave it him Sunday evening, was for sale in the yellow paper the following Wednesday..!!

Gave it him Sunday evening, was for sale in the yellow paper the following Wednesday..!!

mate if that's what a friends done then I'd hate to meet one your enemy's lol
  • Like 1

As a young lad we had no problems obtaining pups and entered dogs as the Llangollen show provided us with what we needed, these days litters of pups with there parents with them and rows of dogs ready for work wow!!

I remember a bitch caught my eye but couldn't scrape the money for her with my mates , I hassled Mr Gould all day, the bitch went back in the van with him.

These days renowned terrier men with pups are rare , the standard of dogs is still here but in short supply , what is available to the novice is poor talked up , and poorly bred , anyone knows the standard of work has effected the qualities , most lads don't want to be all day at an earth, quick fix, or dog up and away.

Anyone new, keen , I think would be better purchasing pups from abroad France , Norway, Germany etc . They are preserving the working attributes more than looks and have varied ground quarry ,they must have a better working quality of animal .

What do you think, ? If your new to the game it probably would be worth the bother, how does the quarantine thing work these days etc?

I would disagree that some parts of the world would have better workers than Britain and Ireland, and I'll explain why I think so ?

In recent years a lot of so called terrier men have made small fortunes sending terriers to certain parts of the world that would just not be entertained here in Ireland and Britain by those who NEED a good worker.

Some of these terriers have gone on to make big names for themselves and their owners and of course folk start sending back to their breeder for pups.

I kid you not, but here in Ireland a few years ago there were pups being sold for 100 to 300 euro and when they were brought back to their breeder as a cull they were sent to the states for $1000s.

It was rampant.

So called terrier men over here who were considered a bit of a joke by those that know the game were legends out foreign.

Ask yourself this, why in certain countries is the Fox Terrier considered a bona fide worker but wouldn't be considered for one second in this part of the world ????

Standards, that's why, high ones too.

My advice is that if you think that good quality terriers are hard to find in these islands then in my opinion you're not looking hard enough.

JMHO.

absolutely nothing has changed then!... still pups being purchased by the lads willing to listen to the lies and hype, shite and beer chat rather than dig over the said dogs for a long time first.. or be in the circle to know.. at the Llangollon show, or any other show especially in the early days if im honest men needed money for a good 3 days out and a prezzie for the wife on the way back to keep her sweet..... ur just takin said persons word that the terrier lines are doing said things and bred in a way what was the big name at the time, you were going back to the car with your hard earned coin being spent on what you thought was IT! and soon found out after a lot of time...it was hyped up shit...when their were better dogs in your circle.... where to buy a working terrier bred pup now a days!... forget about it working terriers and £££ dont work!!

• Like 2

mate if that's what a friends done then I'd hate to meet one your enemy's lol

Simply dong trust anyone in the dog world anymore.

I have had more than my fare share of so called friends shit on me at a great height

With pups and adult dogs.

Never again.

Would never Be-grudge someone making abit of coin of their Dogs ,their time their energy......LYING about them well that's a different kettle of fish !!!

To many Hanging of the Coat tails of others, Who in turn seem to be surrounded by SYCOPHANTS ... ;) pass the BQ tongs please :whistling:

• Like 1

As a young lad we had no problems obtaining pups and entered dogs as the Llangollen show provided us with what we needed, these days litters of pups with there parents with them and rows of dogs ready for work wow!!

I remember a bitch caught my eye but couldn't scrape the money for her with my mates , I hassled Mr Gould all day, the bitch went back in the van with him.

These days renowned terrier men with pups are rare , the standard of dogs is still here but in short supply , what is available to the novice is poor talked up , and poorly bred , anyone knows the standard of work has effected the qualities , most lads don't want to be all day at an earth, quick fix, or dog up and away.

Anyone new, keen , I think would be better purchasing pups from abroad France , Norway, Germany etc . They are preserving the working attributes more than looks and have varied ground quarry ,they must have a better working quality of animal .

What do you think, ? If your new to the game it probably would be worth the bother, how does the quarantine thing work these days etc?

I would disagree that some parts of the world would have better workers than Britain and Ireland, and I'll explain why I think so ?

In recent years a lot of so called terrier men have made small fortunes sending terriers to certain parts of the world that would just not be entertained here in Ireland and Britain by those who NEED a good worker.

Some of these terriers have gone on to make big names for themselves and their owners and of course folk start sending back to their breeder for pups.

I kid you not, but here in Ireland a few years ago there were pups being sold for 100 to 300 euro and when they were brought back to their breeder as a cull they were sent to the states for $1000s.

It was rampant.

So called terrier men over here who were considered a bit of a joke by those that know the game were legends out foreign.

Ask yourself this, why in certain countries is the Fox Terrier considered a bona fide worker but wouldn't be considered for one second in this part of the world ????

Standards, that's why, high ones too.

My advice is that if you think that good quality terriers are hard to find in these islands then in my opinion you're not looking hard enough.

JMHO.

The problem Neil is the lads with really good lines are mostly breeding for themselves. So If someone is looking for a well bred pup, then they are at the mercy of donedeal, preloved etc. what's a good price for a well bred pup? 150, 200? If a man is breeding a litter, and he has a pup to spare, stick on here for 100...if it don't work, no real loss only a 100 quid. If someone has to get rid of a pup after a few months price is 100. No reason for pedlars to breed working terriers then as there's no money it them, an no arguments about gifted pups being passed on then, as you paid a bit for it....

• Like 1

Say, there a lot out there, who have, bred them, after at the most a hand full of digs if thellucky, and selling pup's, etc, on. Met a few of these at a show, the other year. Bull shiters. Think that the know it all. Can't even find game for them selves

Though I'm sure wolfy can speak for himself, knowing him since we were kids, he probably won't be back on for another 12 months and knowing him as I do, I know he simply stuck that post out there simply to see whats going on on here. It's been at least 25 years since he went looking for an earth dog and there's no need for him to start looking now.