Where To Buy A Pup From

As a young lad we had no problems obtaining pups and entered dogs as the Llangollen show provided us with what we needed, these days litters of pups with there parents with them and rows of dogs ready for work wow!!

I remember a bitch caught my eye but couldn't scrape the money for her with my mates , I hassled Mr Gould all day, the bitch went back in the van with him.

These days renowned terrier men with pups are rare , the standard of dogs is still here but in short supply , what is available to the novice is poor talked up , and poorly bred , anyone knows the standard of work has effected the qualities , most lads don't want to be all day at an earth, quick fix, or dog up and away.

Anyone new, keen , I think would be better purchasing pups from abroad France , Norway, Germany etc . They are preserving the working attributes more than looks and have varied ground quarry ,they must have a better working quality of animal .

What do you think, ? If your new to the game it probably would be worth the bother, how does the quarantine thing work these days etc?

• Like 1

Nah if someone new wants to get a dog then they don't have to go abroad to " purchase " a dog. If same person is patient a willing to spend time learning and showing that they're not a shitehouse . Then I think there's good men that would let them have a pup.

• Like 4

As a young lad we had no problems obtaining pups and entered dogs as the Llangollen show provided us with what we needed, these days litters of pups with there parents with them and rows of dogs ready for work wow!!

I remember a bitch caught my eye but couldn't scrape the money for her with my mates , I hassled Mr Gould all day, the bitch went back in the van with him.

These days renowned terrier men with pups are rare , the standard of dogs is still here but in short supply , what is available to the novice is poor talked up , and poorly bred , anyone knows the standard of work has effected the qualities , most lads don't want to be all day at an earth, quick fix, or dog up and away.

Anyone new, keen , I think would be better purchasing pups from abroad France , Norway, Germany etc . They are preserving the working attributes more than looks and have varied ground quarry ,they must have a better working quality of animal .

What do you think, ? If your new to the game it probably would be worth the bother, how does the quarantine thing work these days etc?

I would disagree that some parts of the world would have better workers than Britain and Ireland, and I'll explain why I think so ?

In recent years a lot of so called terrier men have made small fortunes sending terriers to certain parts of the world that would just not be entertained here in Ireland and Britain by those who NEED a good worker.

Some of these terriers have gone on to make big names for themselves and their owners and of course folk start sending back to their breeder for pups.

I kid you not, but here in Ireland a few years ago there were pups being sold for 100 to 300 euro and when they were brought back to their breeder as a cull they were sent to the states for $1000s.

It was rampant.

So called terrier men over here who were considered a bit of a joke by those that know the game were legends out foreign.

Ask yourself this, why in certain countries is the Fox Terrier considered a bona fide worker but wouldn't be considered for one second in this part of the world ????

Standards, that's why, high ones too.

My advice is that if you think that good quality terriers are hard to find in these islands then in my opinion you're not looking hard enough.

JMHO.

• Like 9

I was told of a man that, 99.9, couldn't lie straight in bed their. But there must be genuine hunters out there. And yes a good un, would give you a dog, but shitheads back door them and trying to get a name for them selves, not even hunters.

Nah if someone new wants to get a dog then they don't have to go abroad to " purchase " a dog. If same person is patient a willing to spend time learning and showing that they're not a shitehouse . Then I think there's good men that would let them have a pup.

easier said than done. Hard for someone to find a genuine guy in this game, and when it comes to parting with pups and dogs, a lot of lads wont, and all the pups are already spoken for. Even harder now lads are more reserved with what they say and who they speak to.
  • Like 2

a bit off topic but

a lot of problems young lads have with getting dogs started is the amount of work the pups see. soon as they can walk well on a lead i like to get them pinned out on digs let them watch older dogs working/marking and they soon get there own heads down having a sniff.

i have see pet/non working bred terriers working and working well with some time spent on them,i even got our lasses pet lakeland working and that didnt even see a green field till it was 2 years old! even the best bred dogs wont start if they are started in the wrong way

the point im trying to make is i never have been one for getting all worked up over lines or getting dogs off big names. you pay your money and take your chances. if you put the right amount of work in most terriers will work

just my thoughts on the matter :thumbs:

easier said than done. Hard for someone to find a genuine guy in this game, and when it comes to parting with pups and dogs, a lot of lads wont, and all the pups are already spoken for. Even harder now lads are more reserved with what they say and who they speak to.
I know what you're saying mate it is very hard but they're are out there . Last year I went from having a few dogs to nothing in a very short time. I made a few discreet inquiry's and got speaking to a very genuine man that didn't know me from Adam . Anyhow long story short he gifted me a 7 month old dog pup that is out of hes stuff that hes had for the last 25 years. Now don't get me wrong I know I've been lucky but like I said if your patient then this greatly improve you're chances. As for lads not speaking you're right to a certain extent it's common sense not to speak to every tom , dick or harry although once they get to know you most men will chat dogs untill the cows come home lol.

I know what you're saying mate it is very hard but they're are out there . Last year I went from having a few dogs to nothing in a very short time. I made a few discreet inquiry's and got speaking to a very genuine man that didn't know me from Adam . Anyhow long story short he gifted me a 7 month old dog pup that is out of hes stuff that hes had for the last 25 years. Now don't get me wrong I know I've been lucky but like I said if your patient then this greatly improve you're chances. As for lads not speaking you're right to a certain extent it's common sense not to speak to every tom , dick or harry although once they get to know you most men will chat dogs untill the cows come home lol.

:thumbs: He's a nice bloke but don't tell him that ....................... :D

• Like 1