Jack Russels Or Parson

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ive had both well bred parson and well bred russell. they ARE the same animal. no difference whatso ever. good and bad in both.you just need to do your homework incase both litters are from poor sto

Jack Russell and parsons are the same thing

I'd go else where. Any man who's into bushing and has two litters on the ground at once is a peddler IMO. You'd probably get a better choice in your local dogs home. Should be just as good.

Posted Images

ive had both well bred parson and well bred russell. they ARE the same animal. no difference whatso ever. :blink: good and bad in both.you just need to do your homework incase both litters are from poor stock. good luck.

working parsons. and russell.

foxy trusty work.jpg

trusty jade. work.jpg

CS a genuine question is there not a difference in size ? As the Parsons I've seen are huge . Also in price ? Whatever you say I will concede as you've had a lot more to do with these type of terrier than me.

Parsons can be 11and a half to 14ish exactly the same as russells ..Should be no difference in prices either..They are one and the same thing

• Like 3

ive had both well bred parson and well bred russell. they ARE the same animal. no difference whatso ever. :blink: good and bad in both.you just need to do your homework incase both litters are from poor stock. good luck.

foxy trusty work.jpg

trusty jade. work.jpg

CS a genuine question is there not a difference in size ? As the Parsons I've seen are huge . Also in price ? Whatever you say I will concede as you've had a lot more to do with these type of terrier than me.

Parsons can be 11and a half to 14ish exactly the same as russells ..Should be no difference in prices either..They are one and the same thing
Lads if you have a look at the other thread " old school Russell's " and take for instances the pics if Smashers little dogs are you telling me they're Parsons and are one and the same ? Forgive me but I can see a difference lol .
  • Like 1

"Old school" Russells should be similar to what is now called a Parson. A dog that can run all day with hounds and still go to ground, Rev Russells ideal and what he strove to breed from Trump. The Queen Anne legged, prick eared, snipey head type are a later development. Parsons is a new term. Both types of dogs have been about for as long as I can remember we just called the Parson types Leggy Russells. Both will work if from the right parents and even show type Parsons can go to work.

I prefer the leggier type, they are faster above ground and can get around a lot easier.

foxy trusty work.jpg

trusty jade. work.jpg

Lads if you have a look at the other thread " old school Russell's " and take for instances the pics if Smashers little dogs are you telling me they're Parsons and are one and the same ? Forgive me but I can see a difference lol .

As I said on the other thread where does the (old school ) bit come from??At least over a century and more there have been the leggy tidier type and the small cobby crossbred type..If as you say the parsons you have seen are huge thats down to the breeder not the breed or type .

• Like 2

foxy trusty work.jpg

trusty jade. work.jpg

As I said on the other thread where does the (old school ) bit come from??At least over a century and more there have been the leggy tidier type and the small cobby crossbred type..If as you say the parsons you have seen are huge thats down to the breeder not the breed or type .
I would imagine the old school term comes from what average workings lads like me and a few others kept. Not perfect in looks but done a decent job , I'm just pointing out they're not one and the same thing and what some call a jrt is not what someone else calls a Parson . I know you can see the difference Donny ? Edited by marshman
  • Like 2

I would imagine the old school term comes from what average workings lads like me and a few others kept. Not perfect in looks but done a decent job , I'm just pointing out they're not one and the same thing and what some call a jrt is not what someone else calls a Parson . I know you can see the difference Donny ?

I think the point is, the name Jack Russell covers a wide variety of shapes, sizes and colours. The Parson name is a relatively new thing and not really in common use. It is used to add money to puppy prices. 25 years ago no one would have called my dog a Parson and even now she's referred to as a Russell by most.

• Like 3

foxy trusty work.jpg

trusty jade. work.jpg

I would imagine the old school term comes from what average workings lads like me and a few others kept. Not perfect in looks but done a decent job , I'm just pointing out they're not one and the same thing and what some call a jrt is not what someone else calls a Parson . I know you can see the difference Donny ?

I understand that bit for sure..Like others have said Parsons are just what I call the old type leggy white dog ..Mine are the same in looks size and everything else as I had 45 years ago

• Like 1

foxy trusty work.jpg

trusty jade. work.jpg

I understand that bit for sure..Like others have said Parsons are just what I call the old type leggy white dog ..Mine are the same in looks size and everything else as I had 45 years ago
Fair play I don't doubt that yours have been the same for years . Although mine have not been the same,and in no way would any of today's Parsons breeders call what I had a Parsons, they would I think call it a Jack Russell or as I heard one Parsons breeder call a little bow legged worker a jack Rubbish . What a Cnut eh !

foxy trusty work.jpg

trusty jade. work.jpg

Fair play I don't doubt that yours have been the same for years . Although mine have not been the same,and in no way would any of today's Parsons breeders call what I had a Parsons, they would I think call it a Jack Russell or as I heard one Parsons breeder call a little bow legged worker a jack Rubbish . What a Cnut eh !

the dogs your talking about are worker to worker crossbreds. or scatterbred russells. i was told everything small and mostly white is a russell. this of course isnt true . if folk want to split hairs the true jack russell was leggy. and is more commonly known as the fox terrier. . some of the best workers ive seen are white bodied crossbreds. so no offence intended to these valiant little tykes