greyhounds??

Guest Runningdog69

Guest Runningdog69

I have recenlty persuaded a good friend to get a lurcher..well not really..he's been keen for a while..he's looking for an older dog..he's quite interested in giving an ex racer ago...any thoughts on this?

Any one worked any pure bred greyhounds, overall opinion..game etc??

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have a bit of knowledge on these dogs mate an ex racing greyhound will hunt and kill most things you will ever come across sheep cats,terriers, they can be very hard to control. When they chase something they gone as anyone who goes to the waterloo cup will tell you.

i have spent hours looking for a dog after it has had a chase

a good greyhound pup bought up as a lucher will do anything a lurcher will do and can be taught quite good obiediance

the probs with ex racers is they dont get the attention and the training from a young age (not there fault)

you might get one that will train up but you might not realmad.gif

merle

the whole point of crossing certain breeds over a greyhound is to dilute the amount of running blood but gain in other aspects such as tractability sagasity and trainabilty to name just a few, there are certain jobs that a pure greyhound just is not cut out for, it is far easyer to go and buy a pure greyhound than it is to produce a lurcher if they were the better dog for hunting you would not have people spending many long years producing certain types of lurcher, greyhounds are point and chase dogs and are better suited to the track which they excell at.

This is coming from experience as ive ran many a greyhound as a lurcher in the hope of getting something decent enough to breed a lurcher pup from, im a firm beliver in testing to a certain limit both sides of a lurcher breeding and dont go for the " Just breed from the greyhound for speed" carbadge that most use.

A greyhound will take anything you put in front of it, if its made of the right metel -_- , but like all breeds of dogs some make the grade whilst others just dont have what it takes.

The greyhounds biggest downfall is, it has been selectivly bred for thousands of years to be fast, sprint fast to be percise, so whilst in pursuit of game it will pick up alot more injurys than your average lurcher.Its life span as a working dog will be somewhat shorter than that of a lurchers, but they make good working dogs.

Like all dogs you can and will be able to control your greyhound, some people have what it takes and others like dogs will never have what it takes.

Its important that the greyhounds used in the make up of a lurcher are tested the same way you would want to see the other half of the stud tested.

We could all take hancocks view and use a greyhound just because its fast and a collie just because its a collie, it dosent matter that neither of the base line to your working dog dosent work.The majority of the dogs would be useless and there would be more unwanted lurchers in the world, but if you use both the studs at what you would want your whelp to do then your chances of getting a worker become increased.

Tell your freind to get a ex racer and work with the dog, i can garuntee he will have hours of enjoyment with the dog, if he gets the buzz and wants to further himself in the world of the working dog then he could look at his options and get himself a lurcher of some breed or type that would suit his needs a little better. :D

Ive had greyhounds as long as i can remember, ive been around them for the last 28 years, my father before me, his before him, so i think i can qualify for somebody with first hand experience.

I race and train them for a living, the ones that dont make the grade, especially bitches are used the same way i use my lurchers and then if they make the grade, which is a standard i have set for them, they will be bred from.

I hope this answers your question socks.

IT IS DIFFERCULT TO GET A GREYHOUND THAT HAS CHASED ALL ITS LIFE TO STOP CHASING EVRYTHING

HAVE YOU EVER TRIED GETTING A GREYHOUND OFF OF A SHEEP OR THE LIKES

TRUST ME IVE SEEN IT NOT ONLY DID THE GUY END UP IN COURT BUT LOST ALL HIS PERMISION :ph34r:

IS IT WORTH TRYING JUST IN CASE YOU GET A GOOD ONE :lol:

I WOULD AGREE IF IT WAS A PUP TO GET ONE AND GIVE IT A GO

BUT WOULD NOT BE KEEN ON AN EX RACER :lol:

racing and training greyhounds is a far cry from lurcher work. and if you have only been around greyhounds for 28 years then you are obviously either very young or entered the world of dogs late and still have a lot to learn.