Different Standards?

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you can't see at least one fault in your dog then your lying to yourself ..........

Thats the craic fellahs... We all want genuine good hearted dogs that can provide us with sport, of course we do,.but...   Years ago,..(many fecking years ago... ) I was one of the world's worst

This thread has touched on a lot of points, I got into lurchers because I got out of Collies'n Sheep via a bad decision, I got into Beardies via disillusionment with some Borders all some 30 odd year

But I don't need a weatherman to tell me it's pissing down mate :thumbs:

Neither do i when i know the long range weatherman could well be wrong.. ;)

I can't believe you've actually put into words that you need to see a dog work for a whole season to know it's shite.

Some of you veterans treat us young lads like the dog game is rocket science and we shouldn't even be slipping a dog until we've spent 10 seasons watching and learning. Let alone have an opinion on a dog.

Ignore me and everyone one and learn the hard way like most folk did well beforee the internet appeared .. crack on mate and all the best for the new season,.

He aint going to learn much from you Millet :laugh: If you need to go out for a whole season to see if a dogs any good... :whistling:

how old are you 12 do you not think the lads that have been at it a while could benefit us one of the main reasons i am on here is to learn different ways of what we do

I think you're missing the point. If you've been at it a while, you'll be able to set things up to see how a dog performs without having to watch it all season. Give it a long slip, see how it uses it's nose, see what it's recalls like, check that it doesn't hunt up, see if it will jump, see if it will hit cover, etc, etc. You can do most of those things on a single night if you set the runs up carefully and can anticipate what your quarry might do.

It all depends on what's important to you and what you expect. I know a lot of blokes keep dogs that open up and it doesn't bother them but that is a major fault in my eyes and I couldn't tolerate it. I'd judge a dog that yapped it's way across a field as no good, whereas someone else might not even notice it.

The number of years that someone has been working dogs has no bearing on how good they are and what they know. A bloke that can read a dogs body language and tell the difference between a bunny preparing to bolt or preparing to squat is more use than a bloke that's had dogs 40 years but can't read the signs. You can't learn how to read the signs out of a book. Some can do it and some can't.

Some of the older blokes are the worst for passing on old wives tales and for refusing to change their ideas.

I'm an older bloke but I pretty much know everything so I don't need to change!! In fact everyone should just do things my way and the world will be a better place.

• Like 2

But I don't need a weatherman to tell me it's pissing down mate :thumbs:

Neither do i when i know the long range weatherman could well be wrong.. ;)

I can't believe you've actually put into words that you need to see a dog work for a whole season to know it's shite.

Some of you veterans treat us young lads like the dog game is rocket science and we shouldn't even be slipping a dog until we've spent 10 seasons watching and learning. Let alone have an opinion on a dog.

Ignore me and everyone one and learn the hard way like most folk did well beforee the internet appeared .. crack on mate and all the best for the new season,.

He aint going to learn much from you Millet :laugh: If you need to go out for a whole season to see if a dogs any good... :whistling:

how old are you 12 do you not think the lads that have been at it a while could benefit us one of the main reasons i am on here is to learn different ways of what we do
I think you're missing the point. If you've been at it a while, you'll be able to set things up to see how a dog performs without having to watch it all season. Give it a long slip, see how it uses it's nose, see what it's recalls like, check that it doesn't hunt up, see if it will jump, see if it will hit cover, etc, etc. You can do most of those things on a single night if you set the runs up carefully and can anticipate what your quarry might do.

It all depends on what's important to you and what you expect. I know a lot of blokes keep dogs that open up and it doesn't bother them but that is a major fault in my eyes and I couldn't tolerate it. I'd judge a dog that yapped it's way across a field as no good, whereas someone else might not even notice it.

The number of years that someone has been working dogs has no bearing on how good they are and what they know. A bloke that can read a dogs body language and tell the difference between a bunny preparing to bolt or preparing to squat is more use than a bloke that's had dogs 40 years but can't read the signs. You can't learn how to read the signs out of a book. Some can do it and some can't.

Some of the older blokes are the worst for passing on old wives tales and for refusing to change their ideas.

I'm an older bloke but I pretty much know everything so I don't need to change!! In fact everyone should just do things my way and the world will be a better place.

Very wise words indeed :yes:

I agree with parts of that statement ... I expect a lot from my dogs and I like to think I can bring a dog on to a decent standard ... but this hasn't really come with time I was always good with dogs even when I was a kid ... I am lucky in that I can be a around a dog for a short period of time and know which way to tailor the training to get the best out of each different dog ... To say I havnt learned as I've grown would be silly ... But equally I have dismissed more by so called old hand lurcher experts who were at the top of their game lol ... As has been said a great many of the old and bold refuse to change their ways and views and won't move with the times ... Training techniques have advanced diets have advanced conditioning methods have attached after care for hard worked dogs have advanced and you as a dog man don't advance with it then you will be left behind spouting the same old nonsense you were 20 years ago and indeed a relative youngster to the game will be far more knowledgable and get more out of his running dogs ..........

• Like 2

Surely tho YOUR standards are dictate by YOUR dog?? After say running a few coursing dogs, you try's whippet or even a halfx collie grey. You can't expect them 2 types to achieve same goals, set same standards?? Same as you wouldn't expect a generation bred point and slip merchant to be competein witha pointer x on a moor during day...

Standards are a good guide line, but just because a dog cant match your or any bodys standards or even if your standards change, Same as the types off lurcher available, we all like/want diffrent

• Like 2

Socks your right, there's plenty of people that are still stuck in the 70s and 80s with there methods which they pass onto there apprentices And they never advance. The people they 'teach' are peaked at the end of there first or second season And there standards never get any greater and you get generation after generation that are happy keeping mediocre dogs but then these people I have found just use hunting as a sort of infill when there bored where as the people that strive to continuously improve have hunting as a part of if not there life

The standard of dogs from the 70's and 80's was a lot higher than it is today.

As a general rule. There are top class dogs about today as god as the old dogs but there was more selective breeding then and far less peddlers.

Edited by Ocset

When i think of a standard it has nothing to do with training though,thats the owners standards not the dogs.

On another note can some one that says,heres my pup no matter how shit it ends up,i will keep it anyway.Then start judging other peoples dogs?

My standards are a dog that catches stuff,not just on dark windy nights, even collies can do that,but on nights when you can see your own shadows no dilly dallying then rabbits are straight in.Then you see what dog you have.

Pace to turn a hare when shooting,and heart lots of heart,must retrieve a fox.

Ferret to a decent standard.

If it has that then the excitment i get from watching it makes all the effort worth while,and i will overlook any bad points i see,And i wont give a dam what any one eles thinks.

• Like 5

When i think of a standard it has nothing to do with training though,thats the owners standards not the dogs.

On another note can some one that says,heres my pup no matter how shit it ends up,i will keep it anyway.Then start judging other peoples dogs?

My standards are a dog that catches stuff,not just on dark windy nights, even collies can do that,but on nights when you can see your own shadows no dilly dallying then rabbits are straight in.Then you see what dog you have.

Pace to turn a hare when shooting,and heart lots of heart,must retrieve a fox.

Ferret to a decent standard.

If it has that then the excitment i get from watching it makes all the effort worth while,and i will overlook any bad points i see,And i wont give a dam what any one eles thinks.

Good post... :victory:

Anyone that passes negative comments about other peoples dogs is either insecure about themselves or their own dog. It doesn't getuch more complicated than that. The occasional peddler who's trying to big up his breed and rubbish others is the other potential source if those sort of comments.

I don't judge anyone's dog. I make more excuses for other people's dogs than they do. If I like a dog then they can stay in the warm as an old pot licker if they don't make the grade. I don't have a high turn over of animals and have been lucky enough to always have a dog around that gives me a bit of sport.

I think a lot of dogs fail because their owners are useless. Take a dog into the field with your phone to your ear, dragging your boots along the ground and rustling a bag of crisps and you're making hard work for the dog. A mediocre dog with an owner with a bit of field craft will catch just as much as a top quality dog with a clueless, noisy owner.

• Like 5

Of course they can. They probably know there pup will be awesome anyway.

• Like 1

Socks your right, there's plenty of people that are still stuck in the 70s and 80s with there methods which they pass onto there apprentices And they never advance. The people they 'teach' are peaked at the end of there first or second season And there standards never get any greater and you get generation after generation that are happy keeping mediocre dogs but then these people I have found just use hunting as a sort of infill when there bored where as the people that strive to continuously improve have hunting as a part of if not there life

Stuck in the 70s and 80s lol for a start there was more game about and most was legal and there was no internet for all the dribble thats wrote now ffs

• Like 5