First Kill - A Tree Rat.!

I got up rather early this morning and it was worth it...

I got to the hide I had prepared a couple of weeks ago at around 5:30am, it was just about light enough to see my hands so I put the hide-net up that acts as my roof and got comfortable. Straight away I opened my ears only to get deafened by the sound of morning songs, sung by a variety of birds.

The woods were alive and I had a good feeling.

After about 15mins of first light I heard a great crash in the leaves behind then the corner of my eye caught sight of what at first I thought could be a bunny untill he ran down infront of the hide at speed to crash into another fellow tree rat!

My heart got faster as I could see 'in range' these two squirrels play fight, within seconds the fight was over and I lost sight of one squirrel whilst concentrating on the other running back up the tree and coming to rest sitting on a branch munching on a acorn.

Now I thought "I've got you'!

Where the squirrel sat wasn't a good shot as I had a few branches between but I was now settled and in the ready position so I tracked him till he decided to jump on a closer tree and head down to the floor.

He paused about 2ft from the floor and as I calmed my bouncing heart and thought about taking a shot he zoomed to the floor grabed a quick nut then zipped back to about 6ft up the tree trunk.

This guy is stealing his buddy's breakfast !

Well now I can see how they earn the title of tree Rat!

He had paused for too long at this point as I was now aimed up on him and before he could run back up to branch land my heart practically stopped. I take one last look into his eye as the pellet travels through the air and my ears are again awakened with the sound of a positive hit, he disappears from the sight falling to the base of the tree...

I have to take a moment...

I gather my thoughts and decide that is enough for today.

I could stay and wait for another victim but I'm buzzing with excitement.

This is my first real kill, and with a new gun.

I have had a 177. For about a year but the only vermin I had shot with it are mice!

I've owned a Air Arms S510 ultimate sporter for a week and today got it christened.!.

I'm leaving the hide for a while too, letting the fresh spring growth take effect.

So early as it is, I decide to pack up and adopt my butchering outfit in order to field dress my catch!

I have never done anything like that before either, I don't even remember dissecting in science class at all!

But it's amazing what you can find on the Internet ?

• Like 2

I got to the hide I had prepared a couple of weeks ago at around 5:30am, it was just about light enough to see my hands so I put the hide-net up that acts as my roof and got comfortable. Straight away I opened my ears only to get deafened by the sound of morning songs, sung by a variety of birds.

After about 15mins of first light I heard a great crash in the leaves behind then the corner of my eye caught sight of what at first I thought could be a bunny untill he ran down infront of the hide at speed to crash into another fellow tree rat!

My heart got faster as I could see 'in range' these two squirrels play fight, within seconds the fight was over and I lost sight of one squirrel whilst concentrating on the other running back up the tree and coming to rest sitting on a branch munching on a acorn.

Where the squirrel sat wasn't a good shot as I had a few branches between but I was now settled and in the ready position so I tracked him till he decided to jump on a closer tree and head down to the floor.

He paused about 2ft from the floor and as I calmed my bouncing heart and thought about taking a shot he zoomed to the floor grabed a quick nut then zipped back to about 6ft up the tree trunk.

He had paused for too long at this point as I was now aimed up on him and before he could run back up to branch land my heart practically stopped. I take one last look into his eye as the pellet travels through the air and my ears are again awakened with the sound of a positive hit, he disappears from the sight falling to the base of the tree...

I have had a 177. For about a year but the only vermin I had shot with it are mice!

I've owned a Air Arms S510 ultimate sporter for a week and today got it christened.!.

I'm leaving the hide for a while too, letting the fresh spring growth take effect.

So early as it is, I decide to pack up and adopt my butchering outfit in order to field dress my catch!

I have never done anything like that before either, I don't even remember dissecting in science class at all!

But it's amazing what you can find on the Internet

Well done on your first kill but I am a little amazed you heard a "Great crash!" in the leaves behind you, as down here in Shropshire there isnt any leaves on the trees although there should be in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

Edited by Tron

But it's amazing what you can find on the Internet

Well done on your first kill but I am a little amazed you heard a "Great crash!" in the leaves behind you, as down here in Shropshire there isnt any leaves on the trees although there should be in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

Maybe it crashed into the leaves on the ground as it came down from the tree behind?