Y

Does any one know if the Cray fish are in Cornwall as me and my son are just getting into fishing thanks shane

catching crays is not classed as fishing, its trapping, crayfish can get everywhere, they walk across land to find mates, so its down to you to do some leg work, piece of string and bit of bacon, then simply do test dunks on patches of water near to where you live, streams/rivers/ponds/lakes etc, if you pull up a red signal crayfish, you have found your spot, then simply apply to the environment agency for some tags, you can have upto 10, so ask for 10, give them the location, if they give you tags, it means that no native crayfish are in the area, if they refuse, its because of that

How do you go about getting permission to fish a river for example? Do you you need permission from the council/landowner ect?

You need the permission of the fishing rights owner. This is not necessarily the person who owns the land the river runs through.

• Like 1

Does any one know if the Cray fish are in Cornwall as me and my son are just getting into fishing thanks shane

catching crays is not classed as fishing, its trapping, crayfish can get everywhere, they walk across land to find mates, so its down to you to do some leg work, piece of string and bit of bacon, then simply do test dunks on patches of water near to where you live, streams/rivers/ponds/lakes etc, if you pull up a red signal crayfish, you have found your spot, then simply apply to the environment agency for some tags, you can have upto 10, so ask for 10, give them the location, if they give you tags, it means that no native crayfish are in the area, if they refuse, its because of that

How do you go about getting permission to fish a river for example? Do you you need permission from the council/landowner ect?

to fish a river for FISH, it would be whoever owns that stretch of water,

Y

You need the permission of the fishing rights owner. This is not necessarily the person who owns the land the river runs through.

I beg to differ, as your not fishing, your trapping, yes privatly owned stretches of water, you would need the land owners permission, if you get clued up on the damage that crayfish do to river banks, getting permission should not be too difficult

council owned stretches of water are for everyones use, but look on the bylaws, it may say NO FISHING, but as trapping is not fishing, your not breaking any laws, as long as you get the tags from the EA, then the only person that might challenge you would be a water bailiff, the worst he can do is tell you to stop, but you can then point out, the he cant remove/transport/put back, the crays already caught, as that's illegal, unless you have those tags

• Like 1

to fish a river for FISH, it would be whoever owns that stretch of water,

Y

I beg to differ, as your not fishing, your trapping, yes privatly owned stretches of water, you would need the land owners permission, if you get clued up on the damage that crayfish do to river banks, getting permission should not be too difficult

council owned stretches of water are for everyones use, but look on the bylaws, it may say NO FISHING, but as trapping is not fishing, your not breaking any laws, as long as you get the tags from the EA, then the only person that might challenge you would be a water bailiff, the worst he can do is tell you to stop, but you can then point out, the he cant remove/transport/put back, the crays already caught, as that's illegal, unless you have those tags

Indeed you are right about the land-owner, Stubby - my apologies gentlemen

!

This EA brochure covers it all.............

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/298075/geho0310brvf-e-e.pdf

(Annoyingly, I've got a copy somewhere !)

Just out of interest, has anyone actually been granted the EA tags to trap ?

How difficult to get were they ?

I've heard quite a few instances of guys being refused, and can only guess this was for non-target protection ?