Holding A Dog Back Till 2 Or Older ??

Must be some cracking terriers out there !!!

Care to elaborate on your sarky comment ??? or do you feel your the only 1 in the country with decent dogs obviously because you have a high post count on an internet forum it makes you wiser yeah :laugh:
you must like it. You took the time to comment on it. Mine. Decent dont know suit me thats all matters to me , sarcasiam nope stating a fact there must be some cracking terriers out there.
Nope i am sure i detected sarcasm and now your back peddeling a little i dont belive for 1 minute you were being sincere in your statement there must be some cracking terriers out there your comment stank of i am better and know more than you lot :laugh: if you genuinely belive you are at least have the balls to say your all talking shite now take a knee and bow because ive spoken :laugh:
. Me know better than who people ill never meet lol. Sarcasiam lol. And balls for what to pander to who. Must be your paranoia kicking in thinking my comment was aimed at you , lol. Carry on following though freud

I never thought it was aimed at me personally i think it was aimed at everybody and i aint paranoid you know it was sarcastic and your back peddling because somebody pointed out you were being sarcastic and now you feel abit stupid :laugh:

lol hugo pmsl :whistling:

Dont get it :laugh:

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No way would I keep a dog over 2 years that still hasn't shown any interest, I don't believe all that bollocks either that early starters don't last long, that's an excuse people use that have kennels

Holding it back will let the dog mature mentally I personally show a dog at around 16 to.18mnths then bring it on slowly not to much to soon that's just me. Atb d4g

think it depends on the dog , i'd be very disappointed in one not showing interest in going to ground from 6-9 months ..showing interest not entering although i have let some have a look at 9 months,

Posted Images

I've seen young dogs ruined because they've been given to much ,and I've seen older dogs not reach there potential because of inactivity or not given the graft that they could've handled . Knowing your dogs coupled with common sense is the key !

Edited by marshman
  • Like 3

At 2 year old I'd just continue digging it some of the better dogs I've seen have had loads of digs before they get to 2.

. Just out of curiosity how many of them better dogs that started early are still around today??? As a lot of the younger dogs ive ever seen that started before 15/16 months, they started off great ended up being pts,

At 2 year old I'd just continue digging it some of the better dogs I've seen have had loads of digs before they get to 2.

. Just out of curiosity how many of them better dogs that started early are still around today??? As a lot of the younger dogs ive ever seen that started before 15/16 months, they started off great ended up being pts,

The dam to the 2 bitchs i entered this season self entered at 9months by accident and done 2half hours before i finially got to her with her game,she was mute the whole time and has not changed her style of working.She has been dug 39 times with a lot of testing digs behind her and now retired as a brood bitch,mainly because i have nothing else to breed from and because of the way she works everytime she was put to ground there was always the fear of diging to a dead bitch.She was bred once and the full litter have all been entered and are working well so a repeat mating is the order of the day when she comes in season and after that she will again be dug to on a part time basis.The 2 bitchs started around the 13-14 month old stage and have got better with each dig,some of them testing digs an all,as i have already said i think the secret to success is to keep them wining everytime you put them tpo ground,confidence is a great booster.

• Like 2

yeh some blackuns u have to hold bk but i had a border once n ran out of patience with 2 n half year old still not intrested...not for me...blackuns from 15month most are ready to go....its how u let um......

I would of got rid of that Border too mate.Ive got one here now that has been dug to at 3ft at 11months old. She was killing squirrels at 15 weeks. I think it comes down to strains not breeds. We are holding her back till next year..so far anyway

glad to ere bout your border mate.how do u fink she wud work now pal hard or steady if u let her go now...the blk dog i had was mad for it from 11month aswell baseically he ended up too hard really was dead at 3n half.she wud be just [bANNED TEXT] age the comeing season aswell for yer pal

She worked steady when we dug to her but there is hardness in her bloodline and if thats the way she is likely to go i would like her to be fully formed to handle it. She entered on her own which is the best way. She was steady at the breakthrough.At no point was her confidence knocked so all is good for her.Its our job to make sure it stays that way. If she enters again whilst out mooching thats fine she has a collar on.We can deal with it but i dont think we will be taking her to earths until next autumn.

• Like 1

Must be some cracking terriers out there !!!

Plenty about mate plenty of shit to just some people's standards are higher than others probably
Your right mate just i see some in a rush to enter may be am wrong but i wont loose know sleep over it lol

Iv had a fair few dogs that have started later than I'd hoped, & like wise had dogs that have started what I'd call earlie.

If I take on a pup, I accept that there's going to be variations on when & how pups starts, for me that's a great part of it, watching young dogs start & learn the trade, wether what I see pleases me or not. Digging to a true digging dog that knows its game, is boring in comparrison to the highs & lows of bringing on a young un.

Folk expecting pups to graft away a few months after they've lost there puppy teeth are simply numb as feck, no respect nor idea.

For the lads saying dogs that have started late cant reach there full potential, how does that work?? You've no idea what standards a dog will reach, wether it starts earlie or late, you can only hope the breeding you've picked, turns out well. One things for sure, there ain't no guarantees in this game..

• Like 1

Iv had a fair few dogs that have started later than I'd hoped, & like wise had dogs that have started what I'd call earlie.

If I take on a pup, I accept that there's going to be variations on when & how pups starts, for me that's a great part of it, watching young dogs start & learn the trade, wether what I see pleases me or not. Digging to a true digging dog that knows its game, is boring in comparrison to the highs & lows of bringing on a young un.

Folk expecting pups to graft away a few months after they've lost there puppy teeth are simply numb as feck, no respect nor idea.

For the lads saying dogs that have started late cant reach there full potential, how does that work?? You've no idea what standards a dog will reach, wether it starts earlie or late, you can only hope the breeding you've picked, turns out well. One things for sure, there ain't no guarantees in this game..

if the question " dogs that has started late cannot reach their full potential how does that work ? " is aimed at what I said allow me to explain. I never said a dog that is started late cannot reach it full potential I said a older dog that through inactivity will not reach its potential. An example I've a mate that's got a cracking dog that you could count on for a dig but through my mate having work commitments the dog hasn't been grafted this year . Now for me the dog hasn't reached its full potential ! If the question wasn't aimed at me I apologize for the long post ?.

. DONT. FOOKING DARE WRITE SUTCH UTTER COMMON SENCE. ON HERE.
  • Like 1

You won't make a silk purse from a pigs ear no matter how long you wait

and you can lead a horse to water but can not make it drink ,

But if its thirsty and ready for 1 it will :laugh:
. Lol and ill bet you would let it drink the trough dry.