Deerhound/greyhound X Bull/greyhounds

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

do you think the case of the deerhound x is that people just aint got the patience for 1 these days if a dog aint running the beam at 4 months old its no good ..

Can only speak for myself mines a good alrounder will tackle anything you want as many as you can give him hes not a hair dog but id never go hungry with him hes only 26" but used for everything

In my opinion, the problem with deerhoundX is 95% of the people that own them.   Lots being owned by show type people, or those wanting a 'scruffy looking lurcher'. Even the majority of the 'working

Posted Images

In my opinion, the problem with deerhoundX is 95% of the people that own them.

Lots being owned by show type people, or those wanting a 'scruffy looking lurcher'. Even the majority of the 'working' homes are having them catch a dozen rabbits a year and nothing more. And these all breeding them on sentimentality alone

If people worked them on all sorts and didnt breed from anything substandard, I dont think it would take very long to get to something pretty special

But then again, thats the same problem with most lurcher crosses, although more so with deerhound crosses

• Like 3

post-2025-0-98185000-1392977289_thumb.jpg

Perhaps a little to hard unless you're into coursing stray dogs ( wheaten in there two but hairy bulls lol), I've owned two both hard, the 1st broke a wrist before he really got to work hard but he was a no prisoners type. The one above, a fecker, good on the lamp you wouldn't want to be in the beam in front of him whatever you were!

• Like 3

fin.jpg

Perhaps a little to hard unless you're into coursing stray dogs ( wheaten in there two but hairy bulls lol), I've owned two both hard, the 1st broke a wrist before he really got to work hard but he was a no prisoners type. The one above, a fecker, good on the lamp you wouldn't want to be in the beam in front of him whatever you were!

Nice mate. Whats all in him? I don't think you can get a lurcher thats to hard if you were after fox preban.

The biggest problem with Deerhoundy lurchers now is sourcing a Deerhound worth breeding from.The better option is to breed worker to worker from stock that carries Deerhound lineage.Some on here have never seen a decent un,im not saying they are common but for the people who do their homework and are willing to wait for the right un,they are there and are available,for the people who have never seen a good un,id question their knowledge,experience and eyesight.The addition of collie blood to a Deerhoundy lurcher makes for one of the most reliable hunting companions available,as with all types its the kennel it resides in that gets the best out of a mutt.Ive seen all the fads and fantasies in lurcher breeding,good,bad and indifferent,the Deerhoundy/Collie type as seen them come and go,the true allrounder will still be about when a lot of the others fade into obscurity.

• Like 1

Most certainly,no matter what cross or type there is about there will be good uns amongst the dross,anybody that's been out and about in company will at some time or another have seen good uns in all types?,some care not to cast aside the blinkers.I don,t care for many of todays breedings,especially Whippety,s and bull types,yet ive seen many of both id be happy to own,many id wheelie bin.Deerhound types are common enough for anybody who,s been in the game,even for a shortish time,to have come across a decent un,surely?.