Lets See Your Whippets!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

11/16 WHIPPET, 1/16 GREY, 1/4 BEDLINGTON. 11 MONTHS OLD.  

my bitch

Posted Images

Whippets are nice mutts. They seem abit soft, do you chaps work them hard?

Soft? The problem I have noticed with them is that they can be too driven and hard on quarry, which is not a trait I like particularly.

Great to watch even though they make your toes curl, but I think it's unfair to compare them to a Lurcher as they are what they are, good fun sporting dogs.

Ps) I don't own one but have lamped a couple which are owned by my family.

Edited by Sirius
  • Like 1

Soft in what sense?

Mine is a tough little git, very driven, no self preservation, will tackle anything no matter how likely he is to take a hammering, always on the job . .he handles bad weather well, even with pretty much no coat, takes as much work as I can give him . . so in that sense no.

But in the sense that he is of a finer stature than my lurcher, with less covering, both in terms of body mass and skin / coat, and takes more punishment, and is prone to getting himself broken. . . . yes.

• Like 2

Soft in what sense?

Mine is a tough little git, very driven, no self preservation, will tackle anything no matter how likely he is to take a hammering, always on the job . .he handles bad weather well, even with pretty much no coat, takes as much work as I can give him . . so in that sense no.

But in the sense that he is of a finer stature than my lurcher, with less covering, both in terms of body mass and skin / coat, and takes more punishment, and is prone to getting himself broken. . . . yes.

What I thought, they are cracking little things! I was tempted to get one, ended up going for a lurcher, less chance of injury. Fingers crossed!

Depends on the lurcher I guess. . . . but in general you're right.

It's just funny how some folk seem to think ALL lurchers are tougher and more capable than ALL whippets.

And I've seen enough to know that my whippet stacks up well enough against the lurcher world. . . in the grand scheme of things.

Obviously a whippet at the top of his game, will still struggle against a top lurcher. But a good whippet will beat an average lurcher most of the time. . . .

• Like 1