22 Magnum Or 22 Wmr

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm sure you'll get a more I depth answer than this but the 22 magnum is a larger case therefore holds more powder and is a more powerful cartridge. The 22 lr is the bottom off the ladder basically an

I'm not following you, so why does anyone use a .22lr when a HMR or a WMR is better, and why use a HMR or WMR when a Hornet is better than either...because they are different, figures on paper don't m

In the real world nobody in their right minds buys a HMR or a WMR if they intend to shoot all their quarry at 150-200 yards.

Posted Images

I'm sure you'll get a more I depth answer than this but the 22 magnum is a larger case therefore holds more powder and is a more powerful cartridge. The 22 lr is the bottom off the ladder basically and the 22 magnum is one step up from that. Hope this helps. In your title though it say 22 magnum and 22 wmr which is the same thing ( Winchester magnum rimfire)

• Like 2

The 22 lr is the bottom off the ladder basically

Not quite correct but the .22 cartridges below it are mostly obscure ie percussion caps, shorts etc, although subs are commonly used and whilst .22LR in name, do sit below regular (supersonic) .22LR in performance.

It is correct to say .22LR and .22 WMR are the two commonly used .22 rimfire rounds, and that .22 WMR and .22 Magnum (abbreviated) are the same round.

Also, and I have been asked this before, as the .22WMR (22 Magnum) is 'apparently' just a 'longer' case than the standard .22LR

can you fire .22LR in a .22WMR? (After all you can fire 'shorts' in an LR)

NO YOU CAN'T, the WMR case isn't just longer it's tapered and thicker at the 'rim' end, I haven't tried it and neither should you

but a standard LR will probably chamber loosely and fire, not sure if its dangerous but it's no good at best.

AF

It would probably help people steer you in the right direction if you give some further information:

1. What do you intend to shoot?

2. Are you going to eat it?

3. If yes to 2, then are you happy to head shoot or do you want to retain the ability to body shoot without damaging the meat?

4. Do you intend to shoot at night?

5. Are there houses nearby?

6. What ranges do you want / need to be able to shoot at?

The 22 lr is the bottom off the ladder basically

Not quite correct but the .22 cartridges below it are mostly obscure ie percussion caps, shorts etc, although subs are commonly used and whilst .22LR in name, do sit below regular (supersonic) .22LR in performance.

It is correct to say .22LR and .22 WMR are the two commonly used .22 rimfire rounds, and that .22 WMR and .22 Magnum (abbreviated) are the same round.

I guess that's why he said basically.

charlie caller the .17 HMR is a far better round than the .22 WMR and I have a .22 WMR. I know you really don't like the .17 HMR but I cant work out why. the 30gr v-max .22 WMR has a bc of around .095 when the 17gr .17 HMR has a bc of .125. the .17 HMR is a lot flatter and better in the wind than the .22 WMR. the little .17 HMR is more effective on fox on further ranges and its super accurate.

charlie caller the .17 HMR is a far better round than the .22 WMR and I have a .22 WMR. I know you really don't like the .17 HMR but I cant work out why. the 30gr v-max .22 WMR has a bc of around .095 when the 17gr .17 HMR has a bc of .125. the .17 HMR is a lot flatter and better in the wind than the .22 WMR. the little .17 HMR is more effective on fox on further ranges and its super accurate.

Ok, forums are about discussion/debate, but I have to question your ".17 HMR is a far better round than the .22 WMR".

The HMR has its uses and the WMR has its uses, they are different. From my point of view I have never seen my WMR as a rabbit tool, the HMR seems to suit that better for me, but the WMR has its uses, and whereas my last WMR really rated the 40g CCI my latest loves the 30g Hornady V-Max. Arc and accuracy with the 30g WMR V-Max are VERY close to that of the HMR 17g V-Max but they are devastating upon arrival. Smack a HMR V-Max into a Canada and you need to take a bit of care with placement, smack a 30g WMR V-Max in a Canada and you can aim anywhere, it falls down!

So I am very much at odds with ".17 HMR is a far better round than the .22 WMR", they are different, and I find the WMR is better at some jobs! That's why I run both, and a couple of .22lr. :thumbs:

PS

Anyone interested in

post-10759-0-01971400-1392550835_thumb.jpg

Available at a very competitive price, 500 still factory sealed. PM me please. :yes::thumbs:

Edited by Deker

Arc and accuracy with the 30g WMR V-Max are VERY close to that of the HMR 17g V-Max but they are devastating upon arrival. Smack a HMR V-Max into a Canada and you need to take a bit of care with placement, smack a 30g WMR V-Max in a Canada and you can aim anywhere, it falls down!

Up to 100 yards true.

However, open it up to 150 or 200 yards and HMR is a clear winner.

That said, it's horses for courses and clearly for Canada, the extra bullet weight has some clout from your experience.

Now if you really want a Rimfire performer and aren't worried about the carcass or are prepared to headshoot, then WSM looks like the way to go. Unfortunately in the UK you can't buy it yet.

Deker what do you mean by a Canada? is it a goose? well I think the HMR is a far better round than the WMR. the .17 has 3" less drop at 150 yards and nearly 10" less drop at 200 yards it also has 3" less wind drift at 100 yards, 7" less drift at 150 yards and 12" less at 200. it also retains more FTLBs from 100 yards to 200 yards. as for using the HMR as a rabbit gun and the WMR for fox I would use them the other way round not that anyone is doing that.

Deker what do you mean by a Canada? is it a goose? well I think the HMR is a far better round than the WMR. the .17 has 3" less drop at 150 yards and nearly 10" less drop at 200 yards it also has 3" less wind drift at 100 yards, 7" less drift at 150 yards and 12" less at 200. it also retains more FTLBs from 100 yards to 200 yards. as for using the HMR as a rabbit gun and the WMR for fox I would use them the other way round not that anyone is doing that.

I'm not following you, so why does anyone use a .22lr when a HMR or a WMR is better, and why use a HMR or WMR when a Hornet is better than either...because they are different, figures on paper don't make for better calibres, they make for different ones, with differently suited applications, on your basis nothing would exist except a cannon, because it has better figures on paper than any rifle!

• Like 2