Shooting Abroad - Good Reason?

Hi! I've been doing some internet and forum searches but I can't find anything specifically answering the question that is now bothering me.

I am mostly a target shooter and therefore will have good reason to ask for the typical target calibers, but I'd also like to do some hunting. I can think of several countries where it would be easier for me to hunt boars, warthogs and the likes (Europe and West Africa spring to mind).

Has anyone requested a hunting caliber for hunting exclusively abroad? And if so, what needs to be provided to demonstrate good reason?

The other solution would be to store the rifles in the countries where the hunting is to be done, but I think it would be silly to have riffles sitting in locked cabinets without anyone to give them a little TLC on a regular basis. Or I suppose I could get something that also works for target practice in Bisley (45-70 maybe).

Any advice that complies with the spirit and the letter of the law is welcome.

OK here is my experience and I don't really shoot rifles anymore.

I was a member of an indoor range that had a limit on the velocity that could be used i.e. it was .22 LR RF and then pistol caliber rifle ammo i.e. cowboy stuff like .44 etc.

They did have a small number of people that would arrange outings to the RAF Sealand range and because of that you then have good reason to apply for fairly high caliber/velocity rifles such as 7.92 and .303 which a few of the guys had.

You should look in to something like that, or like you mentioned Bisley etc because you just need a reason and place to shoot it and then as you have the rifle I imagine you can use it abroad where non of this matter.

Hi;

I get the idea, why don't you get whatever you fancy on an 'approved range only basis' as it's only expanding ammo you can't have.

Then when you go to (e.g.) Croatia Boar hunting, get a European firearms pass for it, and buy the ammo locally out there?

You can then of course shoot it at home but with non-expanding bullets.

You just need a club range that takes the bigger calibres.

AndyF

• Like 1

It is a "Good Reason" to acquire large calibre firearms for use abroad however there will be an expectation of you to have something booked in advance in most circumstances.

For instance, there is no good reason why you'd need to acquire a .600 Nitro Express for use on any game in the United Kingdom or Northern Europe for that matter, it's just too large for anything here, however if you have an expedition booked in the next few months or years to Africa or similar then that becomes your reason.

Once granted, it will be conditioned for the purpose of large game hunting and you can use it whenever the need arises.

The same goes for Boar. There aren't a huge number of wild boar in the UK but if you intend hunting in Europe then you need to tools for the job. Again, there will usually be an expectation to prove you are actually going to use it like a booking with a hunting outfitters or letter of invitation etc.

There's nothing to stop you adding target shooting for any of these rifles providing the club you shoot with has the capability to deal with them, not many ranges can take a .50BMG for example.

You're not going to get a big game calibre on the basis of hunting boar unless you're very lucky as you still can't show good reason for such a calibre no matter where you shoot them.

45-70 can also be authorised for deer so might be an easier call - deer and wild boar.

This isn't an exclusive list and some of these are not suitable for boar, but this is the good reason for "Deer and Other Large Quarry" "including boar":

6mm/.244
.25-06
6.5mm x 55/.256
.257 Weatherby
7mm/.275
.30-06
7.62mm x 51/.308
.444 Marlin
.45-70

Generally you're looking at energies of 3,000ft lbs or below.

Although 2,700 ft lbs + is recommended for boar along with a minimum .270 calibre by the Shooting Times: http://www.shootingtimes.co.uk/sportinganswers/89623/What_calibre_is_best_for_wild_boar.html

Like I said, that list is deer and boar. I suggest you look from .270 downwards and then cross check the energies.

I suggest taking a look at the Home Office Guidelines then researching each calibre for its characteristics and firing range usability, before deciding on which one to apply for.

Anything larger and you're going to need to prove you're shooting elephant, bear, lion etc. unless you have a very generous firearms dept.

Edited by Alsone

to save all the debates and guess work from members on here ………simply phone you regional F.A.O for the information you require …..or phone b.a.s.c firearms queries …….and if ya not a member find someone who is to ask the the questions for you …………..simples, and they know the firearms law and are not guessing like most are on here ………atb del …………

Thanks for all the responses. I feel silly now as points 13.33 to 13.35 of the guidance to the police are perfect answers to my question. I had made a beeline for table 77 and missed them.

The bottom line is that it's possible to do what I am teying to do and should be straightforward if the FAO applies the guidance notes.