IS THIS ANYTHING TO WORRY ABOUT?

The back end of last week I had Charlie down the local fields for a walk, he had one of his giddy moments (you know the one where they go bananas normally doin circuits in the front room!) as he went to power down he gave a yelp and held his foot up,at first couldn't see anything and he seemed fine after a minute or two. A day or so later his knuckle seemed very swollen and didn't want anyone near it. Its gone down slightly but wanted peoples opinion on whether its just a knocked toe? He doesn't seem bothered by it as much now but just keeping him on the lead for now just incase.post-7873-1190564577_thumb.jpg

They dont get better, he will have it for life. Some dogs it never bothers them, some occasionally, some cant run far. My dog has 5, he is quite often laid up for a few days after one day/nights work.

MOLL.

For life :icon_eek: So it will stay as swollen as it is in the pic? So its not like us spraining an ankle or something similar? Hope it doesn't hinder him too much but gunna rest him for as long as it takes to get it back right :thumbs:

Its not a swelling as such, its calloused and will stay that way. If you had noticed it as soon as he did it you could have cut the nail off and it would have bled out. Too late now though. The only options are surgery to remove or fuse the toe solid. Its quite common in running dogs. Thats why good feet are a must in breeding :good:

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/index...=knocked+up+toe

MOLL.

Its not a swelling as such, its calloused and will stay that way. If you had noticed it as soon as he did it you could have cut the nail off and it would have bled out. Too late now though. The only options are surgery to remove or fuse the toe solid. Its quite common in running dogs. Thats why good feet are a must in breeding :good:

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/index...=knocked+up+toe

MOLL.

Thats the first time i've noticed him limp or anything and as I say that was only the back end of this week. I'd have noticed the toe been that size beforehand i'm sure :( . Hope it doesn't affect him too much. I can't see what breeding has to do with it? isn't a knocked up toe an injury that any running dog no matter what the breeding is can get? :hmm:

One of my dogs has an old injury of a knocked up toe..as Molly says it ends up calloused, but rarely bothers her unless she has been doing a certain type of running, the toe itself feels thickened compared to all the rest. When she first knocked up the toe, i taped it to the toes on either side which helped keep it stable, Arnica is a great help in these cases as it reduces swelling and acts as an anti-inflammatory. I find Metacam better than Rimadyl in these cases.

Thats the first time i've noticed him limp or anything and as I say that was only the back end of this week. I'd have noticed the toe been that size beforehand i'm sure :( . Hope it doesn't affect him too much. I can't see what breeding has to do with it? isn't a knocked up toe an injury that any running dog no matter what the breeding is can get? :hmm:

I didn't notice mine till it was too late either.

I wasn't refering to the breeding of your dog :laugh: Some dogs have fabulous feet and never get knocked up toes, when ran on ploughed fields, rocks the lot. Some like mine have favoured the greyhound and are crap.

MOLL.

If its any consolation mate, probably at least 1 out of every 3 lurchers has at some time broke,sprained or torn the quick off a toe but never gets noticed until age creeps up on the dog .Its not all doom and gloom .If it happens again to you or a mate then get the dog home for a cold poltice ,not ice cold but cold water cold :thumbs: Keep changing the cold dressing until the dog is putting weight on it but excersise with caution .Leave the foot dry when the dog is walking normal .Early treatment of feet and leg troubles are vital to keep the dog running .Foxdropper .

No running for a month if you want it to heal with as little swelling as possible: you can also massage it with bone radiol which will help healing by drawing blood to the area as it's an irritant: wear gloves to apply it or use an old toothbrush gently massaging in small circles around the joint. Don't over use or it will burn the skin! Follow the instructions. The joint will never be properly flexible again but I've got a few old dogs with toes like that and the only time they feel it is if they are run on hard ground.