.22Lr Vs .17Hmr For Rabbits

Hi all, I have a .22LR and an open slot for .17hmr and I have fox down on the .17 I don't feel I need the .17 for rabbits as the .22lr exceeded my expectations I'm debating wheather to wait 3-4 months and get a variation for .243 for fox and occasional deer or just go out and get a .17hmr for now. My question is what are the benifits between .17hmr and .22lr for rabbits ;)

Thanks in advance

Atb

Dan

I think they both have their place. Long range summer evenings the hmr wins every time. 22LR for closer work and on windy days and nights. Meat damage is a problem with the hmr but you can always shoot them in the head!

I have to say I have used the hmr more and more but would be very reluctant to get rid of the 22. If push came to shove and I had to get rid of one I suspect I would end up with the hmr.

Not a lot of difference for the rabbits IMO. If you're selling/eating the rabbits, stick with .22 as the .17 makes a bit more mess and cost a bit more for 50 rounds. The .17 has a flatter trajectory, but alot of that is speed and weight related. If you do opt for the .17, I would expect a need for a better scope to see the benefit of further shot distances also.

Most foxes are shot at 50 yards, and a well zero'd .22 to the head will drop a fox, and if you're actively searching for them, just use hornet rounds for now and don't get caught...

I would put in for your variation in a few months on the premise that you want more effective fox control and deer management. Until then, get as many rounds down the barrel as it can only help in proving your weapons safety understanding.

Atb, BB

Edited by Bunny Boiler

Hi:

Well (my opinion only), 17hmr not so good for Rabbits because unless you can never get closer than 100 yards, the 22rf is exactly the required

capability, the ammo is 'cheap as chips', subs with a moderator is very quiet (more for avoiding the attention of the 'general public' than anything else).

The 17hmr has expensive ammo, loud crack every time, and (when I had one) copper jacket shards filled the Rabbit carcases as the bullet explodes inside,

dead is dead but no use for me.

As for Foxes the 17hmr (again my opinion only) is just not enough gun, I shot a few with mine, none killed with one shot! (However my 22.250 takes no prisoners

and is plenty of gun, hence yes to your .243).

I could find no use 'in my world' for 17, had one when they first came out, kept it for 18 months, then traded it, yes it does what it says on the tin, and if you only had

an airgun before I can see the attraction, but not for me.

AndyF

Thanks a lot chaps. I may look at getting one for over shot scared rabbits at 100+ yards. I have some land where the rabbits are very nervous even for the .22lr would be a challenge within 100 yards ;)

Gonna be looking at the CZ455 laminate thumbhole ;)

Atb

Dan

How tight are you .22 groupings at 60 yards? Mine are on top of each other. At 100 yards they are about the size of a 2p piece. I give them just under a mil dot and as a result I shoot most of mine at 80-90 yards. No need for a .17. If they're lamp shy, different colour lamp or NV is the better option IMO.

Atb,

BB

I'm pretty happy with my HMR, it's great for rabbits and long range corvids. Head shots on the rabbits are a must and I've never had any issues whatsoever with copper shards in the carcasses. I've only ever shot two foxes with it and they just rolled over stone dead - perfect, precision head shots at around 80 yards. It just does the business :thumbs:

I will definately plum for a .22lr and centrefire rifle at a later date, perhaps a .204 as I've heard very good things about them. More research needed nearer the time though and when funds permit (probably years!)

Variation in for .222 to replace the HMR

If you feel the need for a .17, wait until the .17 WSM arrives. but tbh 22lr and .222 will do everything , perfectly.

Feckin hate .17 for foxes, just not convinced it`s reliably man enough.

• Like 1

Yeah the hydrostatic shock for .17 HMR at sub 100 yards is more than adequate on a fox. It's just the wind and POI you have to watch for.

I wouldn't use it if your not confident in reading adjustments in even the slightest bit of wind.

The .17 HMR is a nice little tool.

I never got on with 22LR it's just not my thing. I have a Daystate wolverine .303 which delivers the same performance as a .22LR just a slightly bigger round and group size tends to be better.

I have both .22 lr (Magtech 7022 semi auto) and .17 HMR (CZ452) and often take both with me on some permissions, where there are a mix of open and enclosed fields. I prefer to use the .22lr, as it's quiet and cheap, while ideal for poking round corners and a head on, head shot to a rabbit, leaves the meat intact and saleable. The HMR is perfect for side on head shots only, on rabbits at ranges well beyond those of the .22, while out in the open with educated rabbits. I carry .22 HV yellow jackets for fox, but wouldn't attempt a shot beyond 60 yards, while the HMR dropped one at 80 yards recently off shooting sticks, as it stood watching me approach.

These two posts from my blog, sum up the differences.

http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/cz452-17-hmr-excells-at-long-range-sniping/

http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/cz452-varmint-17-hmr-backs-up-magtech-7022-22-semi-auto-in-5-minute-shoot-out/

Fair play great reading. Bet that .303 is a fair beast craig?

I need a .17hmr as a couple of my permissions which are some of my best rabbit spots is full of stone rocks and generally bad terrain so using the .22lr their can be a little dodgy with ricochets to be honest so the .17 will be perfect for their. I'm looking at a cz455 laminate T/H but I'd be happy with any cz model to be honest.

Atb

Dan

Yeah CZ rifles are all generally very nice. There is a CZ premium too as well which is beautiful so they are starting to really make some beautiful rifles.

The .303 is amazing as a air rifle. At 50 yards on a fox from a hide is awesome. The trauma it causes is phenomenal. I'm off to the states end of April to shoot Coyote with it, and again in August.