Taking Feather With Lurchers.

How do you take feather with lurchers? Ever since I first heard of this I've wondered how it was done. Thanks for the help everyone :D.

Find a bird roosting in a tree, pick up your dog and throw it at the birds head......... Jobs a good un. :thumbs:

• Like 2

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dog chases bird,, and catches it,,,what's to know

my dog loves it, first thing she caught was a dove and then a wood pigeon before she had a look in on rabs or anything like that.

If you start the dog retrieving dead birds that'll give it the idea. Most lurchers start out by catching the type of game birds that try to run through cover before flying. (Newly released pheasants,

Posted Images

I had a covey of young partridges in the beam one night and the dog with me was a very sharp bitch she kept lopping up to the birds which were milling round picked one up and brought it back to me with no fuss,she done this six times before the covey broke and flew.

I had a covey of young partridges in the beam one night and the dog with me was a very sharp bitch she kept lopping up to the birds which were milling round picked one up and brought it back to me with no fuss,she done this six times before the covey broke and flew.

little owls are a nightmare the dogs bring them back with their beaks clacking away like a good un :laugh::laugh:

I'll be honest and say i've never owned a lurcher that was any good at it. My first whippet bitch as a kid caught one or two scrag pigeons off the local oller but that was it. Though she would stalk pheasants, she'd simply shit herself when they exploded from their seat.

Jake my saluki/cur was simply indifferent, even though his father 'ol Jet was a spectacular feather catcher. All my other dogs would hunt pheasant and partridge well enough but just couldn't or wouldn't be arsed really putting the effort in to connect. The only dog that really could or would do it on a regular basis was my EBT. He could hunt and rush (dunno if rush is the right word!) pheasants and caught a fair few.

Now i'm really hoping my cur/mutt pup has the inclination, he took a couple of fledgeling sparrows out of the hedge when he was 7/8 weeks and certainly seems determined enough at 8 months old, I really hope so, because I've had lurchers long enough to be gutted that i've not owned a propper feather taker yet!! :no:

my dog loves it, first thing she caught was a dove and then a wood pigeon before she had a look in on rabs or anything like that.1380100_10152255676443765_512348940_n_zpIMG_1297_zpsf9d0db22.jpg1268910_10152227004513765_1554614181_o_z1454918_10152424225773765_1408068871_n_z

How did she catch the pigeon?

she just goes at them flat out like a train, or when they're in woods she'll jump on them, and she creeps round hedges and bushes to get at them, quite funny to watch lol

the old dog ive got now use to take feather until i was visiting someone and he come trotting out of there pigeon loft as proud as punch with one of there top racing pigeons. he had to be corrected for his efforts and never took feather again even. if he was working with other lurchers that caught them he wouldnt touch a bird.

now my younger dog will hunt up pheaseant in the day but hasnt caught any yet. however he will take partridge in the lamp and out of it if he scents some near by whilst out lamping.

i grew up with a lab lurcher and she was the best feather lurcher ive ever seen.

• Like 1