Taking Feather With Lurchers.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dog chases bird,, and catches it,,,what's to know

my dog loves it, first thing she caught was a dove and then a wood pigeon before she had a look in on rabs or anything like that.

If you start the dog retrieving dead birds that'll give it the idea. Most lurchers start out by catching the type of game birds that try to run through cover before flying. (Newly released pheasants,

Posted Images

How do you take feather with lurchers? Ever since I first heard of this I've wondered how it was done. Thanks for the help everyone :D.

If you start the dog retrieving dead birds that'll give it the idea. Most lurchers start out by catching the type of game birds that try to run through cover before flying. (Newly released pheasants, wet partridges after heavy rain, moorhens in reedbeds etc.)

• Like 2

How do you take feather with lurchers? Ever since I first heard of this I've wondered how it was done. Thanks for the help everyone :D.

Feed it Trill as a pup, then red bull as an adult, it gives 'em wings

Edited by trenchfoot
  • Like 2

some dogs take to feather naturally, some never quite get it. get them carrying dead birds as a pup, if you can get out shooting then use the dog for retrieving especially any runners, take them to the local shoot picking up, anything to encourage them that birds are fair game. a lot of dogs dont like carrying pigeons and crows, but should carry pheasant, duck etc

a real good bird dog will learn when it is worth having a go for a certain bird and when not to bother, one of my bitches will just glance at a pheasant out on a field, but if she scents one in cover will make every effort to peg it.

just give the dog every encouragement and every opportunity, it may decide to catch birds or it may not