Army Fitness

Don't worry about all that fitness nonsense just eat plenty of chips and drink Guinness it worked for andy mcnab ... Or should I say steve mitchell ...........

Who's Steve Mitchell Socks?

:laugh:
Yeah it did sound a bit of a daft question :laugh:

It's just I understood Andy McNab to have a different name that's all, is it Steve Mitchell for definite?

Why what's his other name you know ?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

FFS it ain't rocket science ... Eat sensibly ... Cut down on the booze ... Give up the fags and get out and push yourself pounding the pavements ... Remember when your out of breath you havnt pushed y

Look mate ,just get out running as I said if you can run 5 mile you wont be far off ,I've taken a few through different training depots ,running 5 mile will get you to a base level ,.then you can leav

your obviously young so your recovery times will be fairly good. make sure you stretch off well after each session to rid the lactic acid from your muscles, you should be ok to train everyday after 2

Don't worry about all that fitness nonsense just eat plenty of chips and drink Guinness it worked for andy mcnab ... Or should I say steve mitchell ...........

It's just I understood Andy McNab to have a different name that's all, is it Steve Mitchell for definite?

:thumbs:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_McNab

Yeah it did sound a bit of a daft question :laugh:It's just I understood Andy McNab to have a different name that's all, is it Steve Mitchell for definite?

his name is definitely Steve Mitchell .......

Just do a mixture of training... running...pressups...situps....

I seen guys who only ran.. could do a 7minute PFT... but soon as you put weight on their back they would crumble....

I've got feck all constructive to add to this as I'm not soldier but got a mate who's high up in RAF Regt. and they obviously have to do their annual fitness test, he said exactly the same, loads of youngsters that have excellent cardio but no upper/core body strength. They can run miles in minutes and score high on bleep test but can't pull/press up for shit.

Out of interest how strict are the army on press up/sit up form? The Royal Marines press ups are those elbows tucked into your sides ones, absolutely smash your triceps! I see a lot of people think they know what each exercise is but neglect how particular that outfit is on exact form.

They dont half mate. and you get the man mountain PTI's scrutinising every single one, they are also done with a lad laid facing the other way, fist on the floor, fingers down...he doesnt feel it touch his fist, he doesnt count it. he cant see you going down so you have to make sure your chest touches his hand. They dont mind if they see your hips sagging just saying to your oppo 'dont count the last 10 hes done'

You a bootneck then mate? PRMC sounds a grueller from what I've read. The day 1 physical standards aren't a bad thing to work to as a civvy though imo. Those press ups really suprised me though, a lot harder than standard ones. If you can do the 3 miler, press ups, pull ups, sit ups etc all to the standard of the PRMC you ain't in that bad a shape!

You don't do the mile and half run in the selection process pal.you do the bleep test in the two day selection and the mile and a half when you have enrolled for the 12 weeks training course all the best bud

Only officers do the bleep test. Soldiers do a 1.5 mile run

I done both at Pirbright (I think it was..) when I went for selection, they were trailing the beep test and another load of tests at the time.. The corporal in charge of our group told us not to kill ourselves doing the beep test or any of the other ones outside of the standard mile and a half, sit ups and pull ups because they would't count no matter how we did at them.. :thumbs:

I seen guys who only ran.. could do a 7minute PFT... but soon as you put weight on their back they would crumble....

I've got feck all constructive to add to this as I'm not soldier but got a mate who's high up in RAF Regt. and they obviously have to do their annual fitness test, he said exactly the same, loads of youngsters that have excellent cardio but no upper/core body strength. They can run miles in minutes and score high on bleep test but can't pull/press up for shit.

Out of interest how strict are the army on press up/sit up form? The Royal Marines press ups are those elbows tucked into your sides ones, absolutely smash your triceps! I see a lot of people think they know what each exercise is but neglect how particular that outfit is on exact form.

They dont half mate. and you get the man mountain PTI's scrutinising every single one, they are also done with a lad laid facing the other way, fist on the floor, fingers down...he doesnt feel it touch his fist, he doesnt count it. he cant see you going down so you have to make sure your chest touches his hand. They dont mind if they see your hips sagging just saying to your oppo 'dont count the last 10 hes done'

You a bootneck then mate? PRMC sounds a grueller from what I've read. The day 1 physical standards aren't a bad thing to work to as a civvy though imo. Those press ups really suprised me though, a lot harder than standard ones. If you can do the 3 miler, press ups, pull ups, sit ups etc all to the standard of the PRMC you ain't in that bad a shape!

It depends for us who the PTI is at the time of the PFA/PFT... some are more lenient than others...

We have to... do the pressups with elbows in... so the tricep method you mentioned....

Theres a '300' club.... where you have to achieve certain standards of fitness... cant remember the exact requirements but its something along the lines of...

100pressups....100situps and a 1.5mile run in under 8min 30seconds...

Theres also a few other tests they keep hitting us with... randomly it seems...

2x 15milers back to back with 34lb and rifle...

The brecon 2 miler with 35lb + water + rifle... individual... and as a company...

And theres the 8mile CFT we do quarterly... or whenever they have expired all other forms of loaded marches :laugh: ...

nearly mate. I havent done a fraction of the graft those boys do to get the lid on their head. all i did was passed selection. Then I got offered an apprenticeship that lead to off shore at the same time i had my daughter. prospects seemed better at the time. not sure id made the right decision as my old man was a booty. went to the falklands with em. so always wanted to do it. i thought at least if im going away, try and make a good poke doing it, so picked the trade route.

as for PRMC the first day gym tests are the easy bit. second day seperates the men from the boys.

Edited by Its_grim_up_norf

:thumbs:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_McNab
Never even thought to look on Wikipedia......I met a guy once a couple of years ago and we were talking and he said he knew him, had dealt with him not in the armed forces but something to do with his books, anyway he said his real name was Andy Travis or something like that, I remember thinking at the time oh so he only changed his surname.

Oh well you learn something new every day

It depends for us who the PTI is at the time of the PFA/PFT... some are more lenient than others...

We have to... do the pressups with elbows in... so the tricep method you mentioned....

Theres a '300' club.... where you have to achieve certain standards of fitness... cant remember the exact requirements but its something along the lines of...

100pressups....100situps and a 1.5mile run in under 8min 30seconds...

Theres also a few other tests they keep hitting us with... randomly it seems...

2x 15milers back to back with 34lb and rifle...

The brecon 2 miler with 35lb + water + rifle... individual... and as a company...

And theres the 8mile CFT we do quarterly... or whenever they have expired all other forms of loaded marches :laugh: ...

Brecon 2 miler in under 15 minuets and start from Dixie's corner and finish at the cattle grid ... Now that separates the men from the boys :toast: .........

• Like 1

Back to the original post , don't ever be fooled into thinking tje army is the greatest physical machine in the world, a few runs a week and you'll be fine as deerman said

Don't worry too much about interval training etc you likely don't have the knowledge or the ability to fret about it, enjoy your life as it is and try not to turn into a black bag warrior on the train home at weekends

I'm sure that what your doing will be sufficient for your chosen pid mate, all the best

Thanks a lot for that mate. I have a few mates in the army and they aren't much fitter than me. Watching them try and do a run after a fortnight rnr.

Obviously they will then be pushed back to a rough standard which I know isn't that high but if you can't do it on selection you won't be brought back up you'll be sent home with a date to try again so I'd rather nail it day one