Army Fitness

I know there is a few military guys on here so thought I'd ask the question:

I have applied for the army and should have my selection in about 2 months.

Sit ups, press ups etc I can smash the times needed for selection but I have to do a 1.5 mile run in 10 mins. I can barely run 0.5 without dying at the moment. I am running two days then rest one. I'm running as far as I can at a steady pace and then when I need to stop I carry on with a brisk walk for a few minutes before running again. I do this for 5+ miles so I'm not hugely unfit its just I can't run 1.5 in one steady go.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions to build stamina?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

FFS it ain't rocket science ... Eat sensibly ... Cut down on the booze ... Give up the fags and get out and push yourself pounding the pavements ... Remember when your out of breath you havnt pushed y

Look mate ,just get out running as I said if you can run 5 mile you wont be far off ,I've taken a few through different training depots ,running 5 mile will get you to a base level ,.then you can leav

your obviously young so your recovery times will be fairly good. make sure you stretch off well after each session to rid the lactic acid from your muscles, you should be ok to train everyday after 2

Cheers mate. I will be at catterick so thanks for the heads up. Luckily I live next to a big nature reserve type thing so there is miles of different terrains up and down hill, on and off road so ive been running on grass too as I was told catterick will be on tarmac so if I'm doing 1.5 on uphill grass I should hopefully stand myself in good stead

Guest scramble

your obviously young so your recovery times will be fairly good. make sure you stretch off well after each session to rid the lactic acid from your muscles, you should be ok to train everyday after 2 weeks or so of steady running every other day. to get your 1.5 mile run time down try running as fast as you can for 3 mins....... take 20 secs rest but keep walking forward do this 3 times and thats 10 mins. :thumbs: do this every other day and slowly reduce your rest times.

• Like 2

At caterick you will get run on Tarmac for your time. But you'll train on gravel paths over moors for fitness both in trainers and boots whilst tabbing mate. The Tarmac route ends in a hill about 1/3 mile. That's where you see new recruits vomit lol

Guest scramble

I'm 23 so fairly young.

Today was my rest day and I can feel my calves still recovering but good enough for a run tomorrow so hopefully ive set enough for recovery. I will soon know if ive not.

Cheers for the advice :)

make sure you hold each stretch for a minimum of 30-40 secs after your session and you'll be good to go the next day. :yes:

Guest scramble

You don't do the mile and half run in the selection process pal.you do the bleep test in the two day selection and the mile and a half when you have enrolled for the 12 weeks training course all the best bud

i thought they binned that years ago?? feckin thing. beeb beeb beeb start level 14 :bad:

Guest scramble

Yer that's as I expected mate, cheers :)

you want to be aiming for 9 mins or under, no one wants to be last :thumbs:

The actual time limit is 12:45 so at aiming for 10 I'm giving myself plenty of leeway. The Para's is only 9:40

12:45??? mate you could walk it in that time.

You don't do the mile and half run in the selection process pal.you do the bleep test in the two day selection and the mile and a half when you have enrolled for the 12 weeks training course all the best bud

Only officers do the bleep test. Soldiers do a 1.5 mile run

Yer that's as I expected mate, cheers :)

you want to be aiming for 9 mins or under, no one wants to be last :thumbs:

The actual time limit is 12:45 so at aiming for 10 I'm giving myself plenty of leeway. The Para's is only 9:40

12:45??? mate you could walk it in that time.

The local shop is exactly 1.5 miles and I walk that in about 20 mins that's just a morning stroll for a pint of milk part on part off road so I'm not that worried about running within the time limit I just want to be as quick as I can