Feeding Ferrets Before Ferreting

jills and hob both have their place, I use the jill first then put the hob in if theres a stubborn rabbit, or just to check over the burrow ( I find the hob to be thorough) or if a bigger burrow I work the two together. you'll find your own way to work them.

for feeding, my ferrets always have food available in the hutch. so they eat whenever they please. I don't feel the need for that starving or making sure their full before hunting shite. I just take water for them when were out.

atb

• Like 1

Its down to personal preference if you work hobs or jills , But my ferrets have access to food 24/7 i take it you have a hearty breakfast before you go out so why shouldn't your ferrets

I feed mine a few hours before I go out not a massive feast but a belly full all the same, its down to you but I rekon if they are starved before a hunt by lunch time they are nakered and the day is spoilt, I'm sure someone will disagree

I always make sure my ferrets have food an hour or so before i go,on top of their normal feeding regime.If iam on a full day il take some ferret bisscuits with me or pounch a rabbit whilst out and share the offal. I STRONGLY DISAGREE working ferrets hungary or Starved.

Both sexes have their place IMO.I normaly start a bury with jills and see what happens from there ,if the warren is big or the ferrets are struggling to shift em i introduce the boys.Hobbs def have a role to play and i can reley on my boys 100%

Having food in with your ferrets 24\7 isn't great either guys.over weight ferrets are a nightmare for purse nets,the correct amount of food every evening is enough for all ferrets,yeah a wee bit extra the evening before will suffice for a lot of work next day.

• Like 1

Mine always have meat around.

And I've always said they shouldn't be starved before work, and that they are due a meal like us if we are going out.

But invariably I wake mine up when I take them from the court and put them in the box to go.

So how do I know when they last ate? or how hungry they are?

And they work just fine.

As long as they are in general, healthy and well fed, I don't think it makes much difference either way if they ate before they went out or the night before. . . . .

Lol I feed my ferrets during the hunt ,if they need it they will eat it ,they love a nice hot rabbits liver .

Mine have to wait til the ride home lol a post hunt treat, then get one of the rabbits they bolted for t

• Like 1

Having food in with your ferrets 24\7 isn't great either guys.over weight ferrets are a nightmare for purse nets,the correct amount of food every evening is enough for all ferrets,yeah a wee bit extra the evening before will suffice for a lot of work next day.

I find they dont over eat.

• Like 1

I was wondering if anybody like me found during the early part of breeding season my Hobs aren't that interested in hunting out rabbits ,they seem to lack comittment to the job & seem to be keener to search out a jill?

typical male