Advice

Having been involved with shooting and field sports from an earlier age I am finally in a position to purchase a Gun dag having moved back home from central London, bought a house with enough room and found a wife who is also dog mad!

I am involved with the running of my local shooting and go beating most saturdays. Outside the shooting season i allot of rough shooting for vermin and pigeon shooting.

A keeper friend of mine has offered me a cocker from a litter due within the next months. I ve seem both dam and sire work and whilst not world champions are great working dogs.

Now for the question - I currently commute on a daily basis leaving the house at 7am and not getting back until 7pm. My wife works part time so if around three days out of five in the week - If i get a dog it will be kenneled outside and i will excercise briefly in the morning and more extensively in the evening. Training will been done at the weekend and in some evenings. The wife will be able to let the dog have the run of the garden when shes not working.

The questions is, will the dog be OK being kenneled all day for two days and just excercised briefly in the morning and evening? Will just being able to spend training the dog at the weekend be adequate?

Any thoughts, advice or recormendations will be gratefully recieved.

cheers,

Having been involved with shooting and field sports from an earlier age I am finally in a position to purchase a Gun dag having moved back home from central London, bought a house with enough room and found a wife who is also dog mad!

I am involved with the running of my local shooting and go beating most saturdays. Outside the shooting season i allot of rough shooting for vermin and pigeon shooting.

A keeper friend of mine has offered me a cocker from a litter due within the next months. I ve seem both dam and sire work and whilst not world champions are great working dogs.

Now for the question - I currently commute on a daily basis leaving the house at 7am and not getting back until 7pm. My wife works part time so if around three days out of five in the week - If i get a dog it will be kenneled outside and i will excercise briefly in the morning and more extensively in the evening. Training will been done at the weekend and in some evenings. The wife will be able to let the dog have the run of the garden when shes not working.

The questions is, will the dog be OK being kenneled all day for two days and just excercised briefly in the morning and evening? Will just being able to spend training the dog at the weekend be adequate?

Any thoughts, advice or recormendations will be gratefully recieved.

cheers,

With respect I wouldn't get a dog with your commitments by the time you get home and sorted the last thing you will want to do is set out and exercise a dog especially on dark nights and as much as you will commit at the moment when reality arrives it will seem like life just gets in the way of spending time with your dog.I would also add when a dog is left to be exercised/tended by others then bad habits are often born in the dog.