Saluki Crosses

After reading some of the recent books on lurchers I see that alot of the top dogs are saluki crosses.

There are none in my area(that I know of) but I was always of the opinion that they were untrainable ( Because of what I had been told and read in older books)

I know J Darcy has very well trained saluki crosses as he tells us about them in his books, but was wondering if other people are able to train them to a high standard.

I know J Darcy has trained his well, but wondered if others have the same success.

I suppose what I want to know is what would you expect from a saluki cross? can an average trainer get a reasonable standard of obediance from one or does it take an exeptional handler to train one?

I managed to train my 3/4 grey 1/4 collie basic obediance and she comes back as soon as i shout her. If i had a saluki cross, could I expect her to come back straight away or do they sometimes do as they please(not trying to put them down, that's what I was told in the past)

I used to be quite nieve and believed everything I was told. Scince reading some of the modern lurcher books my eyes have been opened a little.

I'd like to know peoples veiws, especially people who keep them.

Regards

minion

firstly i'd say ignore the books you've been reading about saluki/grey's being untrainable... because they can. I've got a young saluki/grey on at the moment, his training and obediance is coming on, it takes time, as with all dogs but anybody can get what they want out of a dog if they put effort, time and patience in!

Hi Tarmac,

I always thought that you can train any dog if you put the effort in. I was gullable enough to believe that Saluki's were untrainable. I think that the people that I talked to were unable to train there dogs. There is a differance between an untrainable dog and not being able to train it.

Hi guys...interesting topic here. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule but most dogs can be taught to do the basics, sit, stay, heal, return to hand IF they have been trained to do so from a pup. Of course, SOME are just too flighty to be of any use to the general lurcherman. Unfortunately for me, i have seen a couple like this. Some sal/greys are very nervous, very timid and have an outlook on life that is negative to say the least. These types are of no use. But then again, i dont think this trait is totally unique to sal/greys for i have seen the odd dog that was totally useless and didnt respond to any humans what so ever. These poor critters have usually been kept in a run for the first 12 months of their life and then taken out expecting to kill a hare (or whatever) on their first trip....IMHO the people who have these dogs are not lurchermen, they just want bravado and are usually the ones that boast the loudest. Like i have said, BASIC obedience should be a doddle, but how far you push the limits from there is often in the control of the handler..personally, i find the greatest tool for training a lurcher to be the dogs own stomach...good hunting guys......JD

Guest Deer Slayer

ive never hads a saluki cross. a mate had one he said it was great on hares but woudt come back or retrive. another mate had one and he said he was mainly going throgh day for hares he said every day he walked through a field of sheep every day no bother on day he was walking through it ran and killed 3 sheep in the field. thats why i woudnt personerly buy one. plus i just mainly lamp

cheers

My dog rio has some saluki in the mix i know it is not alot but she is very obiediant and will retrieve and is no problem in a field full off sheep or chickens she is also good with the ferrets. she will come when called ,sit stay

what else do you want :(

you will only get out of a dog what you put in :D

There are alot of people who wont give a dog a chance :D

Recently I've seen a majority of pure salukis (say 15 out of 18) come back to the owner after a course. Made me loose my prejudice towards salukis.

Obedience seems to better with age too.

L.

* it IS A REALLY GOOD THING that they don't use their nose much. The nose generates the disobedience in my case.

Hi all, i'm from Australia and most of my hunting is for pigs, been interested in Slaukis for crossing. I don't know much about them as there aren't many here.

How do Salukis go for hardness (heart), stamina, do they have any nose? How do they compare to Deerhounds and Greyhounds? Any info you can give me would be appreciated.

JCD,

What I've seen thus far, salukis are very sound hounds, not as injury prone as greys or them large deerhounds. Plenty of stamina. Defo fast enough to catch hares.

They probably can use their nose but are bred not to do so.

For rodents, hares and small deer they're pretty ideal.

If I had one I wouldn't let it be mauled by some feral pig.

Maybe the saluki can add something to a bull cross?

If you use the search option here or on any other unning dog forum you'll find loads of info and opinions.

L

Guest bracken boy

i trained my last lurcher very easy it was a collie grey then had a saluki x and to b very honest ive struggled in the field on recall, i love the dog and its hear 2 stay but ive heard lots of people say they have trained their saluki x to a high standard and i dont not believe them, but ive had a bad run with mine but i did get him at

6months and was training him with another dog, YES I KNOW bad move, so gunna have to learn more about training i suppose.

bb.

Hi braken boy..you say you dont beleive sal/greys can be trained to a decent standard...what is it you dont beleive?...sit, stay, retreive,blind stay, lay, heal,hand signals???...it is possible with the right salX.....the nervy ones are the hard ones...IMHO......look forward to your reply...JD

Guest bracken boy

j darcy i do believe they can b trained as lots have said they have , i phrased it wrong, all i was saying was im struggling but ur welcome to train mine 4 me plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :good: