Fencing Advice, Please ....?

Okay. Straight to the chase: Round fence posts. 5" diameter. I have to fix Two (3x2") runners to it. One either side of the front face, if you're with me? But them together against the front of the post.

See? Doesn't leave a lot to play with, does it? Rather bolting through the edge of that post.

My mate was round yesterday and thought aloud that he could knock me up some " Plates ". Wonder what he mean't by that? He can weld, see.

I'm wondering if I couldn't make such things myself, out of wood. Maybe screw an eight inch bit of plank to the post. Bolt my runners to that?

Anyone ....?

Thanks.

Thanks, guys. (And my apologies; They were working on the lines today and had to cut the power at 09:00! I read this and the lights went out!)

Spoke to Pat, today. I pointed at his own, rebated, posts and said ..... But, he reckoned doing that to my 5" ones would weaken them too much. Granted. His must have been a good 8" or more and were just carrying about 1" runners.

So, then I tried to explain what I believe the jointing business is about. That's when he repeated that he'll make me up some " Plates ". I asked him what he was on about. I believe he said something about drilled, steel plates. It went over my head.

Upshot is I went into town and bought fifteen quids worth of nuts, washers and bolts. F**k knows ..... Nails though?! Forgive me. But; Nails?! What, on My f**king pride and joy, show piece, no expense or trouble spared, Dog Stopper fences ....?

Jesus! I've even bought hundreds of Black screws, so ye won't see myriad little spots of reflected yellow, on my Black fences :D

This shit isn't just utilitarian, guys. It's a f**king Statement! :yes:

:D Oh, this is one for the Blog, Stealths!

I have the pic's. Made sure to take them of the raw situations. So I can show the steps of progress. Pat was round yesterday and ..... Well! Man's a f**king Machine! :icon_eek: (He Will be rewarded!)

We're both tied up tomorrow. Nothing'll happen then. But, we're creeping forward and he's deeply committed to helping me get the runners on. Get them sorted and it's all down to me. Hundreds of slats to fix on and the odd gate etc.

I bought a square gate post today. That's in here with me, drying out, along with the round topped slats for its gate. More timber to buy yet. Runners for the back fence. They'll need four coats. It all takes time as they'll need a day or two between coats.

But, yeah; There's an epic f**king story unfolding here. I want to record it for posterity. Blog'll be the spot ;)

Lab; I honestly can't remember the spaces between the posts now. But, yes, there should be at least three posts per length of runner :yes:

Ok just reading your last post. Why is the wood needing 4 coats, not pressure treated???

Yep 9 meter rails posts 3 meters apart .........image-113.jpg

Bit of cheating going on there....tops cut!!

No cheating involved fukcing woman changed her mind on how big she wanted the tops after I had finished ............

Ok just reading your last post. Why is the wood needing 4 coats, not pressure treated???

Yeah. Like I say, mate; This is to be my Lifes Work :D

I don't have a 'Pressure Treater'. I have paint brushes. Paint. And water based 'Fence Guard' type shit. I find it taked three or four good slavverings to make planed timber Deep black.

The rest? Grey undercoat. Then two or three coats of my green. Hundreds and hundreds of f**king slats! My work room's stacked out with them.

Honestly; I've long since lost count of the £100's and Months of man hours I'm slinging at this project. It's for my Dogs.

It'll out last me. Protect them from themselves. And look absolutely f**king gorgeous! :boogy: