Pointers As Bushers And Moochers

NATACC

Yea 1 my mates has 1 and it's a really good all rounder it goes threw any cover it's a very versatile dog 1 day he could be working with his hawke the next day it could be ratting then it could be working water I personally think they are a great dog from what I've seen

I hear good stuff about the Germans ones here my friends one and my patterdale. The GWP is a bit of monster not worked family pet but he's very bright. Would like to of seen what he would of been like if he had been worked. Did mange to kill a sheep a while back...

GWP tend to do that after a while! A friend of mine had two kennelled from pups (homebred and from the same litter) and one day he got home and one had ripped the others throat out and they were seven years old. They are bred to have that streak and the closer to the german imports you get the more game sharp they tend to be. Great noses though!

• 3 weeks later...

The pointer really does take some beating as a bushing dog. They will face any cover and take any quarry

Tight cover that i encounter is only worked by small dogs,anything else cannot physically enter,take any quarry?,a little poetic license perhaps.

• Like 2

I hear good stuff about the Germans ones here my friends one and my patterdale. The GWP is a bit of monster not worked family pet but he's very bright. Would like to of seen what he would of been like if he had been worked. Did mange to kill a sheep a while back...

GWP tend to do that after a while! A friend of mine had two kennelled from pups (homebred and from the same litter) and one day he got home and one had ripped the others throat out and they were seven years old. They are bred to have that streak and the closer to the german imports you get the more game sharp they tend to be. Great noses though!

That's funny because my vet who is German says that the Uk and Irish strain of GWP are far more aggressive that their German cousins and they wouldn't have one from UK or Ireland.
A German falconer who I met this year, said he had to discontinue his old strain of GWP, because they were just far too dog/people aggressive.....

So obviously not just a problem exclusive to the uk.....

He started again with this dog.......a fine example...post-89484-0-67906600-1387141718_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I had a GWP for 12 years , first trained to work with the hawk. but after i got rid of the hawk she would work anything. Not like a spaniel or terrier and bush even if nothing in the cover, if she couldn't scent anything in the bush/cover she wouldn't work for nothing.

Seen her get on belly and crawl throu some really thick cover , and if using her on rabbit shed point giving me /mates time to prepare to shoot.

Fantastic guard dog, and great with my kids ( she wouldn't let no harm to the kids )

Depends on how you bring them up

• 2 years later...