Very New To This Experience Answers Please

Hi firstly I have no rifle this is where I will start my questions I have flew the nest and rent my own home with my partner and son how would be the best way to be granted an fac if I can even get one straight away without owning a shotgun licence for a while ? Then if I could be granted one from the off I can get permission so will have reason to have a rifle should I I be certificated as a stalker what ever the qualification is before I apply for an fac ? Also I would like a 243 for foxing and deer is it possible to own one as a first rifle or should I work up from a .22 rim fire first any help would be great as I have no idea in the ins an outs of it all just the passion to one day do it thank you in advance for any help

Of get a wee bit of insruction, particularly on safety. Why dont you go & do the DSC level 1 or the pre DSC 1. it will give you the basics which the Police will like.

.243 is a great all rounder. I use 100g rounds for everything.

Thanks yes I am cosidering doing this but dose it expire at all as if I cannot get a .243 for a year or two and it expires or runs out if it dose that it is then a waste of money ! If I only have a .22 on my ticket ! I will def do the dsc before I actually go out in the field on deer or if I am adding a .243 to my licence I'm also looking at will I actually be granted an fac as I live in rented accommodation and the landlord has keys to the property I live in

The DSC Level does not run out, it's for life unless they choose to move the goal post's in years to come?

I'm afraid to say that I cannot see you being granted a centre fire by your FEO with little or no knowledge of rifles, most people start with rim-fires and slowly progress to larger calibers when they have gain experience. If you have land to shoot over and it is passed for a rimfire I don't see why you should be refused. I hope I don't sound to negative but you can't jump into the deep end where guns are concerned, there is a lot to learn.

Applying for your DSC 1 would be a good move, why not also book yourself some accompanied stalks in your area and have fun whilst learning.

Good luck.

No its for life, and to be honest given your lack of experience I doubt you'd be granted a certificate just now without demonstrating you've at least tried to gain some competence.

Go do your DSC first,and see how you do. Then get a wee bit of experience under your belt & take it from there.

No not at all negative I'm a sensible person I knew it would not be easy :-) I'm looking for sensible honest answers so when I apply I'm not going to drop a bollock on something I should have researched so is the fact I live rented not a problem ? And if all goes well could I pass for a small entry level caliber rifle on a first attempt without holding a shotgun ticket as this is how everyone I know has started and progressed to firearms I ask as I am not interested in shotgun at the moment thank you for your help though

After re reading the last post dose anyone know of anywhere in Somerset or southwest of England where I can go either guided deer stalking. even fox shooting or a combination of the two needs to be professional or an old hand in the art as I wish to learn safely and and become efficient

First, renting a house is no problem whatsoever.

As long as you have agreed permission with the land owner to shoot a firearm on his land I suggest you download an application form for a firearm certificate from the internet and make a start to fill it in. Also keep an eye open for a secondhand used gun safe and buy one to accommodate a minimum of 3 guns/rifles or more.

You could apply for a .22 rimfire and a .17HMR rimfire at the same time. There is plenty to read about both rifles on the internet and probably on this forum if you search. You will not have to buy two rifles initially, it just means that you have a slot to buy one when you decide. ( it saves reapplying again)

There are a good few guides down your way, are you near the Dorset borders ? Ian Farrington runs a great set up and can help in many ways with you gaining experience and confidence.

In my early days, years ago I went to stay with Ian and his wife Joe in a purpose built hunters cabin. I had booked two stalks and two nights stay, I ended up staying 9 days!! so that should tell you how good it was.

Best.

sjb1956

Hi thank you for your help I shot a .22 rim fire when I was a kid on targets and bunnys just wondering what is the .17hmr I've herd it mentioned before but what caliber is it / uses over a .22 rim fire I assume it's a smaller round if it is surly a high powed air rifle in either .22 or .177 would do the same job ? Please correct me if I'm wrong also on that note could I have a high powerd air rifle on my licence instead of a .17hmr ? Sorry for all the questions

The 17 hmr is more powerful and will kill at much longer ranges than the .22 rim fire

Have a look on the internet, type in something like " .22 lr vs 17 hmr" or look on YouTube at the hmr in action.

It has always been a very long debated subject as to which is best and what one to buy. Do some homework and then make a decision, both are extremely good rifles and you will be happy with your choice.

The .22 is prone to ricochet and the 17hmr can cause meat damage but if you are shooting rabbits with the 17 do head shots and they will be edible.

Hope that helps a little.

i would just add that my local firearms officer is very keen that people have some degree of experience before issuing a cert. perhaps joining a local gun club and getting used to simply handling weapons and loading/unloading/firing/zeroing/cleaning etc would be a good idea. also might provide some contacts who would advise and instruct you, maybe even take you out with them if you're lucky. i would recommend doing the dsc1, i think sooner or later they will make it compulsory anyway.