Before The Saluki And Bull

No i,v not met Kranky, put a pic up :laugh: , I read it different to you, every thing as been done before but to my knowledge bull blood only became commonly used by the average working man approx 25-30 years ago, in fact i remember seeing Sal blooded dogs used before i saw a Bull cross used but this might be down to me only working Hares at the time and only meeting like mined people ;) , buster.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We were the same,...never worried about the exact breeding,...it just didn't enter our heads...

28 years ago when i was 10 i ran a springer x lab with my ferrets cos it was all my mum would let me have, it was me best mate and to be fair was feckin useless, rabbit bolted in the net dog picked it

I seen my first saluki in the 70s a lad my dad new had it that come from the exchange and mart, as did most dogs that were breed out of are area or you did not no from hear say. hear an old pick I hav

No i,v not met Kranky, put a pic up :laugh: , I read it different to you, every thing as been done before but to my knowledge bull blood only became commonly used by the average working man approx 25-30 years ago, in fact i remember seeing Sal blooded dogs used before i saw a Bull cross used but this might be down to me only working Hares at the time and only meeting like mined people ;) , buster.

Here he is

null_zps27c005ab.jpg

We can only take him out with no wind or rain as those bandages are a twat to redo :)

• Like 1

The bullx isn't new at all ffs!!!

Lord orford was credited with putting bull into his greys(in theory bull blood runs in most greys haha) but I bet it had been going on before him and the same with whippets.

There's pics of bull x's being used as message runners in previous world wars,they've always been about where as the saluki was imported in the grand scheme of things only recently.

Just because there popular atm doesn't mean there new.

Iam sure everyone knows about bull blood being used in GH many years back but i believe he's asking us what we used before the current trend towards bull and sal blood as none of us are old enough to have been knocking about with Lord Orford :icon_eek: , buster.
You've not met kranky then??

The question comes across like bull x are brand new cross never been done before that's just not true,salukis yes over the last few decades but bulls have been around for ever and my point of lord orford was if he was making a x back then what makes you think they stopped there and started again in the 80's?

If I've taken the op's question out of context I apologise.

Bull x's as running dogs for everyday folk are a relatively new thing. They've been about for years, but not in use as dogs for running bigger stuff. That's the point.

They're a clitoris dog now...........................................................every c*nts got one!!!!

Lord Orford was a fecking liar. He tried to claim that a first x bull greyhound went out and beat all of the top coursing dogs of the day. While there's no denying that bull type blood has been added to greyhounds over the years and Orford may have added it to his line of coursing dogs, there's no way that this first x was out classing the other dogs of the day by such a degree. Orford was a lunatic and his historical accounts should be viewed as the fictional works of a madman.

I seen my first saluki in the 70s a lad my dad new had it that come from the exchange and mart, as did most dogs that were breed out of are area or you did not no from hear say. hear an old pick I have put it up before of my dads old bitch a real hare killer..atb

004.jpg

I have always had a soft spot for a ruff coated dog be that deerhound x or a cur type, I have no axe to grind about bullx etc but if you breeding to good lurchers together and think you need more fire in there belly's then you just mite not be breeding the rigt to lurchers together in the first place..

001.jpg

• Like 7

I seen my first saluki in the 70s a lad my dad new had it that come from the exchange and mart, as did most dogs that were breed out of are area or you did not no from hear say. hear an old pick I have put it up before of my dads old bitch a real hare killer..atb

004.jpg

I have always had a soft spot for a ruff coated dog be that deerhound x or a cur type, I have no axe to grind about bullx etc but if you breeding to good lurchers together and think you need more fire in there belly's then you just mite not be breeding the rigt to lurchers together in the first place..

001.jpg

Totally agree with that, no bull blood needed to put more fire in any lurcher

kranky kranky........................ sandals in one and............ horror of horrors a girlies fixed spool my mrs casts 160 with a multiplier

Hahahahaha!! They're not sandals, (although I do like a sandal) they're Team Realtree Rubber shoes, like camouflage Crocs but with proper straps. They're my fishing shoes.

As for the reel, I own a Penn multiplier and a couple of Shakespeare's that I use on the boat. I tried to cast with the Penn once, it was on the beach at Seaford. I put in to practice everything that I'd learnt and cast.

I managed to actually tie my thumb to the reel with the resulting birdsnest! I've never tried one for casting since!

kranky kranky........................ sandals in one and............ horror of horrors a girlies fixed spool my mrs casts 160 with a multiplier

Hahahahaha!! They're not sandals, (although I do like a sandal) they're Team Realtree Rubber shoes, like camouflage Crocs but with proper straps. They're my fishing shoes.

As for the reel, I own a Penn multiplier and a couple of Shakespeare's that I use on the boat. I tried to cast with the Penn once, it was on the beach at Seaford. I put in to practice everything that I'd learnt and cast.

I managed to actually tie my thumb to the reel with the resulting birdsnest! I've never tried one for casting since!

i'd love, even pay to see you in them 'sandals' for an allnighter after cod from the rocks in january lol............getting back to topic and tying this in ...........preban we used to take foxes with the dogs from mussel beds at night on big tides, when the weathers real bad, after a long cold spell they forage on them no cover for 5 or 600 yds and easy safe running on sand..............there are a couple of places here and over the water in fife where overgrown woody gullies run down to the sea, in similar conditions roe will come down to browse on seaweed, nice to watch but it's always been illegal to take them with dogs up here :thumbs: atb

when i got into hunting 40 years ago i used collie greyhounds,ditching lamping and ferretting,then i started to go for deerhound greyhound crosses,and from there i bred a few saluki greyhounds, and started to cross lurchers with lurchers,as everyone is looking to get that one all rounder,had a few good ones in my day,now i am back to where i started with,the collie cross,