Pack Training

i dont have hounds but around 8 terriërs.

when i am looking at pictures of packs of hounds am Always wondering how to keep them close with you when not hunting and let them hunt and come back on command.

when i put my dogs off the leash they all start working on there own. when they are on a sertain distance from me i can shout my head off but some are only coming back if they want to.

i know that terriërs are not hounds but hope someone can tell me how to train this

Only work what you can handle . It's recall training you need to be working on by the sounds of things.

To keep them close you have to be the pack leader I'm don't know your pack situation but if you have a couple of dominant dogs in the pack then they will prone to do there own thing in the wrong hands.

Take time to observe your pack and see who the dominant ones are and then work with them.

I hope it helps but it's can be a lot more complicate than that.

Only work what you can handle . It's recall training you need to be working on by the sounds of things.

To keep them close you have to be the pack leader I'm don't know your pack situation but if you have a couple of dominant dogs in the pack then they will prone to do there own thing in the wrong hands.

Take time to observe your pack and see who the dominant ones are and then work with them.

I hope it helps but it's can be a lot more complicate than that.

thanks for your advice i Always have 2 of them taking the rest with them. i think keeping terriërs together is not that easy as with a pack of hounds, i just want to get them back to me between the beatings and keep them with me till i say they they can go to cover again without putting all of them on a leach. i tryed to keep them hungry but when they have to chance to hunt they dont give a shit about food. i tryed to use a shocking collar, this works when i have them all with me but once they are gone i cant get them back with it.

I've seen terriers which can work pretty close to the handler but the breeder they came from has been breeding for that particular trait for several generations. I know some Jagds over here that can be quite a challenge, which makes me believe that it also depends on which lines you've got your dogs from.

I'd try working/training them in a pack half that size till recall is acceptable.

I think hounds can be harder to get back because of their far superior nose.

Like R.A.W. mentioned, work with the dominant ones.

Hunting with a pack is really exciting because if everything fits together it's like working with one entity. If it doesn't you'll be running after 8 individuals which can be frustrating. Evaluating the pack members, their performance and contribution to your effort and adjusting your pack from that can help..... Some dogs just perform better within a pack mode, others don't.

i think you need to bring them up with a well trained dog, i've a cocker here for flushing to lurchers and marking while ferreting, for some reason any pups i have, be ithey bull, terrier or lurcher stick to him like glue, ploughing through cover with him from an early age and because his recall is good they come in with him. dogs that were here before the cocker don't pack as well.