Best Colour For A First Training Dummy

Think the answer your wanting bud is it doesn't, I'm a complete novice with training a gun dog. Have two 6 year old labs and have only been shooting maybe two years if that. They have the primal drive to retrieve and hunt, and the ball training was something I was doing to try and steady them instead of competing with each other. Their basic knowledge and great obedience is more than enough for pigeon shooting and picking up I do on the low budget shoots I attend. Not to pour water on you comment of course

Think the answer your wanting bud is it doesn't, I'm a complete novice with training a gun dog. Have two 6 year old labs and have only been shooting maybe two years if that. They have the primal drive to retrieve and hunt, and the ball training was something I was doing to try and steady them instead of competing with each other. Their basic knowledge and great obedience is more than enough for pigeon shooting and picking up I do on the low budget shoots I attend. Not to pour water on you comment of course

The loaded question was hopefully going to.lead to a few pointers for you.

The process of guiding a dog through its early informative months and even its subsequent adult closed season training should be structured to replicate the shooting scenario as much as possible.The dummy/ball throw or buried ain't going to give your dog that upper hand or better success rate...Replicate the shoot day,with game easy to freeze and use out of season,use different game every week,put a grouse/ partridge in the game bag with the balls/dummies and fire the pistol into it ( shot scent )...then use the balls or dummies....

Drag lines to replicate the runner situation.......

But I don't quiet understand your use of balls for steadiness.....could you possibly be meaning that you use balls for helping the dog hold an area ?

Stick in........

• 4 weeks later...

Dont matter its smell

Smell of what, to replicate hunting what......? Humans / you...

. Your own sent will do at first building to game its simple gun-dogs use there amazing senting abilty to find not sight. The colour is for us thick humans !!!!

Dogs colour spectrum is crap, they see shades of a few colours so GTE is totaly right. They will hunt the smell. You can buy scent of rabbit etc and play games with them doing up and down wind retrieves etc, or even drag the thing through long grass leaving a trail.

Dont matter its smell

Smell of what, to replicate hunting what......? Humans / you...
. Your own sent will do at first building to game its simple gun-dogs use there amazing senting abilty to find not sight. The colour is for us thick humans !!!!

Using both senses helps a lot in the finding of game.