Unconventional Zero

say you want to zero your scope at 30yrds and calibrate it and at 10yrds your poi is 2mil dot hold over why carnt you then when you come to rezero your gun just set it a 2mil dots at 10yrds may be a daft question but would really like to know the answer

In theory your right, you could do it that way, but it wouldn't be as accurate. Any variation in poi will be far less at 10yards than at 30, so it might look to be very close to the mark at 10 yards but when shooting out to 30 yards that variation will be magnified and poi could be out by more than what could be deemed acceptable. Better to check zero at your zero range.

Other than that, what set up are you using? 2 mildots hold over at 10yards from a 30 yard zero sounds very odd! Is your rifle very low on power?

Jim

In theory your right, you could do it that way, but it wouldn't be as accurate. Any variation in poi will be far less at 10yards than at 30, so it might look to be very close to the mark at 10 yards but when shooting out to 30 yards that variation will be magnified and poi could be out by more than what could be deemed acceptable. Better to check zero at your zero range.

Other than that, what set up are you using? 2 mildots hold over at 10yards from a 30 yard zero sounds very odd! Is your rifle very low on power?

Jim

was just hypothetical mate but it is 1/2 mildot at 10yrds hold over on brc a 97kt at 786fps about 11.4ftlb so then if you zero at say 30 would it then be bang on at the 1/2mil dot at 10yrds

I can't answer the question of what your aim points will be at various ranges, you'll need to work them out through shooting targets at differing, but known, ranges to see the differences in POI. As well is this there's software like chairgun or strelock etc. It would be impossible for me to know precisely.

I can only answer the question of checking zero against a known "aim off" point at a target at a known range that corresponds to that "aim off" point and is other than your zero range. Which I answered in my first post. Only you can know which "aim off" points correspond to what ranges by doing the testing I described above.

Hope that helps!

Jim

Edited by WoodsmanJim

You can get it roughly right. In reality there is only one way to zero a rifle at 30 yards (or any other range) and that is to shoot a target at that range and adjust acordingly - then check it at 10, 20, 25, 35, 40 and 45 yards - 50 as well and further if you have the time and the patience on the day - or leave that for another time.

Mate, you've had your answers. You're just asking the same question. If we've not given the answer you were looking for, or hoping for, try rephrasing what you're asking. And try using punctuation, it'll help know exactly what you're meaning.

Jim

was talking to acuspell mate