Unlicensed Boxing

Anyone here do it?

There's a gym near me where a few of the lads do it,I've already done the amateur thing and would prefer to try something different.

What size gloves do they tend to use in unlicensed?

Also anyone who's fought at both amateur and unlicensed,how do the levels of fighter compare?

I just want to do it for a few months while my leg completely heals then I'll go back to other things,but definitely want to fight.

I've only fought am, but I've watched un lincened stuff and I'd say the amms are a higher standard but you could always fight a ringer and get your ass kicked

I've only watched it online and they don't look up to much.

But they look to be wearing massive gloves sometimes and the rings look small,which might make it look sloppy.

• Like 1

I've been quite involved at both levels.

The unlicensed is a whole new world, more than I could tell you in a quick thread on here.

MOST of the amateur lads I know would destroy MOST of the unlicensed lads I know.

You can walk in a gym with no background in the sport, train for a few weeks, apply for an EBF license for £20 and fight on EBF "unlicensed" or "semi pro" shows.

I've fought on 5 EBF shows at heavyweight. You are generally well matched but not always. My second fight I was put in with a lad who had already had 8 fights.

There are also a few ex pros taking to the unlicensed now. It's a lot easier and more relaxed and just a bit of fun for them. But not so fun for the young lad who jumps in with them thinking he's going to get the better of this out of shape old man. Only to find out he's an ex pro with 70 amateur and 40 pro bouts to his name.

It's a good crack and I will fight again at some point. Try to get in with a good club and go along to a few shows first to see what happens.

Train hard and fight easy :thumbs:

• Like 1

ABA is a much better standard of boxing.in unlicensed the boxing is just scrapping! They are all in it for the money and you can have one fight and be champion of your weight.good to watch on a night out and you will get recognised more for being a boxer to your local town but that's it.alot if is fixed and you get alot of pikeys turning up for one round and throwing in the towel.

They're huge,I'd spar in gloves that size.

Wearing big gloves means you can block punches far easier and if you get a rhythm going it makes it hard to counter.

So plodding forward windmilling can be a good strategy,with smaller gloves they'd get countered a lot easier and harder.

It matters to me because I've had a long time off and wont be that fit,but will have better technique.

I just want to do this while my leg gets to 100% and can go back to what I was doing before.

Most unlicensed bouts use 16 oz gloves...... Hence why they are often messy fights with the gloves swinging the fighter rather than the fighter swinging the gloves !.... Years ago the only reason you would fight unlicensed is because you couldnt get a pro licence for whatever reason,but you still had to be good or else who would pay to watch you...... today anyone can get in and have a go as its fighters selling tickets to friends and family not the promoter selling them.

Unlicensed is the equivalent of sunday morning pub football just arrive on time and you,ll get a game sort of thing......amateur boxing is way above unlicensed.

• Like 3

never done it but I have had alot of fun bare knuckle fights im not a gypsy but there was a mate of mine years ago got me into it fights were set up like a proper event in Barns or field was good fun lads who fought had a respect for each other I enjoyed it but now I aint done it in a long time im only 17 I had 23 all together 19 won 1 draw were we agreed on parteing ways and 3 lost :) used to love it but now too much stuff in my life and more important things to do than beat on other people for money I can be earing from easier things :thumbs:

Oh and the fights I had I never got much notice before hand sometimes I got asked on a morning and was fighting that afternoon ahaha lol but looking back it wat a stupid thing to do but at the time it was great :)

A know a fella done a few of them,he smashed 2 travellers in a couple of minutes so they said they'd bring their cousin from over the water to fight.

Fight came around and it was some 6'5 coon who only spoke French lol

A know a fella done a few of them,he smashed 2 travellers in a couple of minutes so they said they'd bring their cousin from over the water to fight.

Fight came around and it was some 6'5 coon who only spoke French lol

never do deal with travellers..... :laugh: