Pellets Producing Different Ftpds Results

the whole things a grey area...subject to whim i think.......................................

Not really mate. If you do enough searchin, it's all there. If you're gonna get into air rifles then you need to know where you stand imho.

thees a longggggggggggggggggggg list greys lol...in the actual carrying out. originaly it was written with an understanding that could be 'interpreted' by those who know, today theres some ludacrous ermmm re interpretasions being applied, i.e. some are making a mockery of the law by interpeting what ever old thing they want to get a case done.

the whole things a grey area...subject to whim i think.......................................

Not really mate. If you do enough searchin, it's all there. If you're gonna get into air rifles then you need to know where you stand imho.

thees a longggggggggggggggggggg list greys lol...in the actual carrying out. originaly it was written with an understanding that could be 'interpreted' by those who know, today theres some ludacrous ermmm re interpretasions being applied, i.e. some are making a mockery of the law by interpeting what ever old thing they want to get a case done.

Maybe so mate with regards to how people interpret things but at the end of the day...if they take your rifle and test it with a range of pellets and it goes over 12FPE then you're done. Can't get any more black and white than that. Ignorance won't be accepted as an excuse either. You can't just say well it was 11.6 with such and such a pellet.

• Like 1

it's not a hard and fast rule that, assuming all other thingsare the same, a light pellet will travel faster than a heavy one in any given gun. OP you're right that how the pellet fits in the barrel and the design of the pellet make a difference. Sometimes a large difference! These things do not follow logic and all guns are different. The best and ONLY way you can know for sure is to test as many pellets as you can through your gun over a chronograph and make sure that they all give figures less than 12ft/lb.

I agree with AirgunGuy, not really a grey area at all. We know how the Police forces test air rifles, and that is that they do exactly what I've described above using all commercially available pellets. If any one of those pellets gives a calculated reading of 12.01 ft/lb's or more and you don't have it on an FAC ticket, it gets binned and you get done. End of.

Don't give them even half a chance of getting you, there's nothing that you can achieve with a 11.9ft/lb gun that you can't do just as well with a 10.5 or 11ft/lb'er with practice. Stay well under the limit and stay safe I say.

Jim

• Like 2

i thought theyed sacked the testing company because they had zero guidelines and were getting ridiculas in proving things are over powered etc, then a few week ago i read theyre still testing..

avoid the police and if it cant be done make sure you get a lagit fire arm solisiter..

My sfs hw97kt was shooting at 11.4 fpe with jsb exacts 8.44gn

I was very happy with that.

Then I heard Falcon accuracy plus were good I tried those they came out at 860 fps

Or 12.04 fpe.

I panicked a bit and I was very lucky that that davy on here cut and polished my spring .

When I put the 97 back together its doing 10.3 fpe with the jsb exacts and 10.9 with the falcons.

I am more than halpy with that I know im safe from the law .

If I had not tried the 7.33gn falcons I would be non the wiser which is not an excuse.

A lad down our way got caught poaching with his gun (more fool him) by the police , police sent it of to be tested came back doing 11.9 not happy with they sent it to the next county came back 11.9, still not happy sent it to another county came back 12.1 Got done .

Many Air Gun's Get Tested By the Police - following Theft of Air Gun's

Many forces will get a Fire Arms Officer to check it before returning it to owner

Yes a Grey Area as to who played with power - But still how many get tested

Especially if Stolen from a Vehicle - Questions are ask as to Why they was in a Vehicle

As under VCR Act - Air Guns can Only be transported if going to or from a Legal Shoot

Where many will leave them in Vehicles overnight.

There has been calls for years about a standard Test Pack for All Air Guns

But as they all responde differently - not possible

Mostly get Tested with what get Found with Gun -

Also if Stolen and Found over - most will get a Warrent to check property for any other Air Gun's

BOB/R

Edited by clubshot

it's not a hard and fast rule that, assuming all other thingsare the same, a light pellet will travel faster than a heavy one in any given gun.

Jim

My TX200 MkIII .177 shoots:

Accupells 7.9gr at 782fps

Crossman Premier 7.9gr at 774fps (tight fit)

JSB Exact Express 7.9gr at 786fps

However, it shoots:

AA Diablo Field 8.4gr at 812fps

JSB Exact 8.4gr at 819fps

Edgun 8.4gr at 817fps

Strange, as I would've expected it to shoot a higher velocity with the lighter pellets.

There's no grey area at all. The law states that if the air rifle is capable of firing "any projectile" at over the limit it is a S1 firearm. It doesn't say it has to be a readily available pellet, nor does it make any allowance for what you usually use!

If the forensic science labs find a pellet that it fires over the limit then you are going to get done for it!

it's not a hard and fast rule that, assuming all other thingsare the same, a light pellet will travel faster than a heavy one in any given gun.

Jim

My TX200 MkIII .177 shoots:

Accupells 7.9gr at 782fps

Crossman Premier 7.9gr at 774fps (tight fit)

JSB Exact Express 7.9gr at 786fps

However, it shoots:

AA Diablo Field 8.4gr at 812fps

JSB Exact 8.4gr at 819fps

Edgun 8.4gr at 817fps

Strange, as I would've expected it to shoot a higher velocity with the lighter pellets.

Perfect example! Thanks for sharing your findings, they make pretty interesting reading. It weird isn't it!

I'm sure it has much more to do with pellet design and therefore how efficiently it 'catches' the air from the piston, than it does to do with pellet weight. Weight plays a part, but not as much as design in my opinion.

Cheers,

Jim